PDA

View Full Version : Clay after Wax ?

Krisekca
04-25-2008, 01:55 PM
I was stupid i washed my car and waxed x 2 laayer one after another with meguiars nxt
i didnt clay it... it was yesterday.
Today i decided i will buy mothers clay and i will wash it again with Meg. Goold Class ...and clayed ... what should i use after clay ? do i need 2 wash it ?

i have Titanium Gray Metalic - maybe i should use carnuba ? do i need to use somenthing before carnuba ? or after ?

TObleRONE
04-25-2008, 02:10 PM
I was stupid i washed my car and waxed x 2 laayer one after another with meguiars nxt
i didnt clay it... it was yesterday.
Today i decided i will buy mothers clay and i will wash it again with Meg. Goold Class ...and clayed ... what should i use after clay ? do i need 2 wash it ?

i have Titanium Gray Metalic - maybe i should use carnuba ? do i need to use somenthing before carnuba ? or after ?

I'm basing my answer on the assumption you didn't need to polish your car. Since you already have two layers of wax on your car, it might be best to wash your car twice w/Dawn or some other dish soap. This will most efficiently strip the wax you just applied and leave you with a clean surface for claying. Then do the following:

Clay
Wash w/ Gold Class
2 coats Wax

That's what I would recommend if you want to do this today. But if you want to be more efficient, you should order some Klasse AIO or similar product to clean your paint before you apply wax. But if you really want to put in some work today because of nice weather, there's nothing wrong with that :D.

Krisekca
04-25-2008, 02:28 PM
1 step: Dawn Wash
2nd step: Clay Bar
3rd step: Carnauba Cleaner
4th step: NXT ? im not sure if its abrassive or not ?

so i dnt need to polish it ?

should i use NXT again ?one layer ?'
or just plain Carnuba Wax ? what do u think ?

TObleRONE
04-25-2008, 04:04 PM
1 step: Dawn Wash
2nd step: Clay Bar
3rd step: Carnauba Cleaner
4th step: NXT ? im not sure if its abrassive or not ?

so i dnt need to polish it ?

should i use NXT again ?one layer ?'
or just plain Carnuba Wax ? what do u think ?

Let me try to give you the steps to a full detail (sorry if I miss something, it's been a long day at work):

Wash
Clay
Wash
Paint Cleaning (optional depending on amount of oxidation in paint)
Polish (Pad/polish combo dependent on severity of swirls/oxidation/hardness of paint)
Clean with AIO (e.g. Klasse)
Seal (w/synthetic sealant or carnuba wax, or synthetic sealant topped w/ carnuba wax)

I'm not sure how much detailing you have done, but let me just give you one last warning: once you start, you will be spending a lot of $$$$ in search of the perfect shine! :autowash:

Rsurfer
04-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Let me try to give you the steps to a full detail (sorry if I miss something, it's been a long day at work):

Wash
Clay
Wash
Paint Cleaning (optional depending on amount of oxidation in paint)
Polish (Pad/polish combo dependent on severity of swirls/oxidation/hardness of paint)
Clean with AIO (e.g. Klasse)
Seal (w/synthetic sealant or carnuba wax, or synthetic sealant topped w/ carnuba wax)

I'm not sure how much detailing you have done, but let me just give you one last warning: once you start, you will be spending a lot of $$$$ in search of the perfect shine! :autowash:

LOL, good advice!!

Krisekca
04-25-2008, 11:21 PM
Ok what i have

Mothers Clay Bar + Spray
Mother Liquid Carnuba
NXT Meg.
Gold Class Meg. Shampoo
Dawn ( pre wash )

beside i have

Farecla G10
Farecla Black Top Hand Glaze
Farecla Wax Top Liquid Wax Polish

So again sorry guys and thank u for help :P

So Dawn wash >> clay bar >> wash Gold Class >> some one of those Fareclas ? >> or >> Streight with Carnuba ?

vinnier6
04-25-2008, 11:40 PM
holy ####....no need to use dish soap...wash your car, clay it, polish it, protect it...

wash
clay
polish
protect

the nxt is my choice over carnuba...carnuba just doesnt last very long...no need for multible layers of nxt because it has a cleaner in it that will remove the previous layer...i do however use the nxt spray inbetween washes....

go get a bottle of good polish, i wouldnt use glazes either....

vinnier6
04-25-2008, 11:44 PM
let me clear it up for you a little more...no dish soap, save that for the dishes....clay and polish will remove any wax or sealant you have on the paint...

you can clay and wash in one step as well, so save yourself the step inbetween...wash a section of the car, then rinse it off, soap it up again, clay it, rinse it....dry the car, polish, then wax, or sealant...nxt is a sealant...

Krisekca
04-25-2008, 11:55 PM
polish ? hmm so i need another product 2 polish it or i can un G10 or that Glaze ? it has polishing agents.

94LT1
04-26-2008, 02:22 AM
This can b a option for wat u have.
wash
clay
wash
u can use a glaze next but u need to top it with a sealant or something that doesnt have any cleaners or abrasives in it or u will just strip the glaze right off.

Krisekca
04-26-2008, 08:06 AM
so i will top it with carnuba ?

101impala
04-26-2008, 08:54 AM
holy ####....no need to use dish soap...wash your car, clay it, polish it, protect it...

wash
clay
polish
protect

the nxt is my choice over carnuba...carnuba just doesnt last very long...no need for multible layers of nxt because it has a cleaner in it that will remove the previous layer...i do however use the nxt spray inbetween washes....

go get a bottle of good polish, i wouldnt use glazes either....

I agree. Leave the dawn in the kitchen where it belongs!:D

Andy
101impala

94LT1
04-26-2008, 09:52 AM
so i will top it with carnuba ?
well like i said before just make sure the LSP doesnt have any cleaners or abrasives and it will be fine if ur useing ur glaze right before it.

TObleRONE
04-26-2008, 11:28 AM
OK, I'm awake now...

The reason I recommended Dawn just for this case is that he had already applied a couple coats of wax, IIRC. So if he uses Dawn to strip the wax he has already applied, I'm guessing he will get better results from claying. Of course for normal washing there are many great car wash soaps available at AG or he can use the Megs Gold Class.

As for learning about detail techniques/products used, one thing I recommend is surfing through the "Show and Shine" Forums here on AG.net. The threads have lots of pics and explanations of products used as well as techniques. You can get a good feeling on how to approach your project.