PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Method for Leather Dashes - Outgassing

chefwong
03-02-2023, 09:36 PM
I'm fairly a minimalist when it comes to interiors for the most part.....I use more H20 wipedowns than interior cleaners....
I do however apply conditioner and protector to my leather surfaces. Use case. Front Drivers / Passenger bolsters etc, may get more frequent.

I also do conditioner for the leather dashboard .

My concern in the subsequent outgassing (I guess more during warmer summer months) that may occur from dashboard to the glass.
Which just require more interior glass cleaning I suppose

Curious , do you guys have a specific POV re: interior outgassing, glass and what products you use.
or no, you just clean the interiors more (my least favorite part of detailing).

DFB
03-03-2023, 03:21 AM
Unless you are talking about a higher end luxury car, "leather" dashboards are either vinyl or plastic with fake stitching.

As such, I just treat them like any other plastic material, either dressed with an interior dressing or wiped down with an interior detailer or even ONR.

If it is real leather, typically found on top end Porsche, Bentley, Jaguar and BMW models, then use your favorite leather product.

In both cases, yes, product "gassing" will be a factor.

Desertnate
03-03-2023, 08:56 AM
I don't think there is anyway to get around the outgassing. It will come from the dash, the coating on the leather seats and probably any other plastic product in the interior.

I dress the dash just like the rest of the interior with an interior protectant/cleaner and I clean the glass on a fairly regular basis. I'll also use a windshield cover in the warmer months and when it starts to get hot I crack my windows a touch when parked outside. Not sure if that helps any with the outgassing, but it keeps the interior from cooking as bad.

chefwong
03-03-2023, 09:39 AM
It is leather....Sunshields are used in the summer. Windows does have *high performance * tint on it , There is a drawback to these types of tint. While the -heat- won't make it past the film, it's a barrier *glass get's super hot if standstill/parked*. Basically heat soaked since a moving car will at least shed the heat off the glass. If not even more heatsoak if parked because the car is not moving and the heat is not entering the cabin, the glass stays * get's hotter than if it did not have this type of premium film.

It is what it is and I guess it comes with the territory, in all things *interior off gassing*