PDA

View Full Version : Re-Coating // Swirl Repair

Lowblk02s10
03-02-2023, 01:36 PM
First time caller, long time listener and looking for some advice…. To provide a little background, I am located in NJ and working on my BMW M3 with a dark blue (almost black) paint color. I mention this since we deal with all four seasons. The car also lives outside, unfortunately no garage yet.

I originally coated the car in May of 2021 at that time I used a Girots DA polisher to cut and polish removing a lot of the imperfections in the paint. From there I coated with Gtechniq CSL & topped with two coats of EXO v4. I have also topped the car every few months with either C2V3, Shinesupply’s Punch it or PS Beadmaker.

I am super happy with the results still, however over the last two years, I have noticed a few things that i am looking to fix/enhance.

Some very minor swirls via, what I will account to, poor washing techniques.
I also am slightly un-impressed with the hydrophobic properties of the current solution. Don’t get me wrong there is no sheeting/drying happening on the car, but for example, after a wash, everything is great and slick, however if we receive rain after a few days I will notice some water/dirt spots on the top of the hood (there is a flat spot by design//see pics) that “puddle” and thus leave a dirty spot that has filled with the dust/pollen etc. Maybe I am expecting too much but I figured all of the water would all run off.
I am in search of an overall higher gloss.

So all of this leads me to wanting to refresh the coating a bit. I would still do a decontamination/iron removal first and since I have the DA, I am considering a light finish polish to remove/fill the minor swirls and then applying some form of a topper to add additional protection. I do not believe i need to re-coat entirely.

When looking at the finish polish, I have narrowed down to either Shine Supply Slick back Primer Polish, CarPro Essence Plus or Reflect Polish. And then for the topper I am considering either Cquartz SIC or going back to Exo v4.

Am I off base with my plans? Anything that should be changed? Thank you in advance!