PDA

View Full Version : How are you caring for PPF

chefwong
02-28-2023, 09:13 PM
I find in the right light, there is minor linear marring. I suppose the topcoat is -softer- than clear ? I know I can take a blow dryer, heat guns, some hot water, another 2 months for some SUN to self-heal it.
Is PPF softer in your experience

I find that anything on it doesn't last as long versus clear. So I don't coat it but use a spray sealant and just top off when I notice drop-off.

I like the protection it affords. Especially with crappy water based paint. I am still getting used to the look. I can tell there is an ahem, slight Saran Wrap,extra layer of clarity subdued by the film.
The tradeoff is no chips I suppose.
On 2 cars with certain trim pieces like side mirror , etc where there is high gloss piano black, loving the PPF as these will show marring easily as well.

joebruin77
03-01-2023, 11:07 AM
I find in the right light, there is minor linear marring. I suppose the topcoat is -softer- than clear ? I know I can take a blow dryer, heat guns, some hot water, another 2 months for some SUN to self-heal it.
Is PPF softer in your experience

I find that anything on it doesn't last as long versus clear. So I don't coat it but use a spray sealant and just top off when I notice drop-off.

I like the protection it affords. Especially with crappy water based paint. I am still getting used to the look. I can tell there is an ahem, slight Saran Wrap,extra layer of clarity subdued by the film.
The tradeoff is no chips I suppose.
On 2 cars with certain trim pieces like side mirror , etc where there is high gloss piano black, loving the PPF as these will show marring easily as well.

I've had Xpel PPF on my car for the past 4+ years and, even though I am parked outside 24/7, the PPF has held up very well.

I know some people like to put a ceramic coating on top of their PPF. But like you, I just apply a ppf-safe ceramic spray sealant once every 3-4 months, as well as a ceramic drying aid after each wash.

I have tried different sealants over the 4 years. My favorite and current sealant is Griot's Garage 3-in-1 Ceramic Wax. I apply this once every 3-4 months.

I do a rinseless wash once a week with either ONR or Absolute. I then use Xtreme Solutions Topper as a drying aid. In the past, I have also used Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray 582 and it works well too.

I just bought some Gyeon PPF Maintain. I'm curious to see if this PPF-specific product works any better than the other ones I have used.

The key thing is to make sure that whatever product you put on the PPF that it is PPF safe. For example, Xpel says you should not use a product that contains more than 5% naphtha or petroleum distillates. I find that most water-based sealants are PPF safe.

Epilogts
03-01-2023, 03:26 PM
I did a bunch of research on what to coat PPF with(or not to coat it). In the end I went with Dlux, on a a Suntec film. Seemed to work well without impacting the PPF.

chefwong
03-01-2023, 04:58 PM
Do you guys find it -soft-. It's not as soft as some soft clear coat......but I do see linear marring in the right light.

I know once summer comes, it will self heal itself. Or I can get a heat gun and make some passes but I'm lazy and the heat guns is somewhere in stash of too many tools and no clue where it is since I rarely use it

BudgetPlan1
03-01-2023, 06:17 PM
I have 2 cars with full PPF; 1 done w STEK Dynoshield (hydrophobic topcoat ‘built in’) done in May of 2019 the other done in XPEL Ultimate done in May of 2021.

The STEK car was coated w a PPF-specific coating until September of 2022 when I recoated with a ‘regular’ ceramic. The XPEL car was coated with a ‘semi self healing’ ceramic when PPF was done; total overkill given the superior self-healing of PPF and really somewhat pointless in that regard but I wanted what I wanted.

PPF will shed a coating quicker than bare paint but still has its merits methinks. I’ve never really thought too much about the softness or hardness of PPF, the stuff just plain works for me, overall makes life much easier and cars seem to remain in better condition w less OCD-ish attention.

The STEK car is black and still has a great looking finish, from April thru November is an all-weather daily driver. The XPEL car is a year-round all-weather daily driver, recently went nearly 2 months without a wash and still looks great when I did get around to washing it. Both are in Central, OH so the XPEL car does see occasional snow, salt & slop.

The film-specific coating seemed to do as well as the ‘regular’ coating, no difference that I could discern. I once asked a mfg rep what exactly was different between a PPF-specific coating as opposed to a ‘regular’ coating; he said that for the most part, a PPF coating is just formulated to be easier to use to lessen the chance of high spots, a bit of a problem on PPF.

I just find PPF (and coating) really makes taking care of a car easier and keeps the swirling/marring at bay.

We’ll see how I feel about it in 5 years but so far, so good.

I maintain the car just like I do cars w just paint/coatings and probably a bit less stringent given that PPF can ‘fix’ any minor carelessness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chefwong
03-01-2023, 08:27 PM
I did a very Brief google read but I plan to do a deeper dive to understand the self healing topcoat.
I presume it's a certain thickness of the 4 mil thick material
It's not finite

I do notice very very minute linear marring. I believe it's soft
How much self healing can happen in this use case (not deep scratches)
Finite. or Infinite. etc

The self healing is interesting and it does work.....I did a test spot on a not seen area on sill and ran the heat gun. It does self-heal