PDA

View Full Version : Looking to use chemical and mechanical decontamination products, but how? How’s n-914 as clay lube?

MrOneEyedBoh
02-25-2023, 07:27 PM
So I’m looking to give my truck a good clean for the first time since I bought it new in 2019. I’m looking to use something like IronX and GGs synthetic clay bar puck.

I’m guessing I should maybe wash it, then IronX and then run the clay bar over it? Does it make sense to also use IronX while going behind it with the clay bar? Or am I doing double work?

Also would using N914 as clay lube be a good idea? I found a gallon of it and didn’t know I had it, so if so - that’ll work great if it’s a good clay lube.

In the end, I’m going to polish the paint with GGs perfecting cream as the paint is good. I have other fine polishes but would most likely use the perfecting cream. With the truck being the Ford tricoat platinum white, it’s showing dirt and I’ll have to remove light swirling from claying.

PaulMys
02-25-2023, 07:45 PM
Iron remover is optional IMO.

And to be perfectly honest, a machine polish will negate using the synthetic clay unless your paint is severely contaminated.

I'd just wash, and then start polishing...... :)

noorth
02-25-2023, 07:46 PM
N914 works fine as a clay lube. I've used it a lot for that purpose.

Some people use iron removers as clay lube. I never tried it and probably never will unless the smell gets better.

I wouldn't use iron-x for 2 different applications.

If your going to polish and want to make the process even more simple. Use N914 as a pre-treat, rinse, rinseless wash which will leave the car dry and then spray on iron-x and rinse again. Then straight to clay with N914 again.

You don't even need to use traditional car soap frankly. I wish i had a gallon of N914 haha Its a great product.

Paul A.
02-25-2023, 10:52 PM
I always apply the baggie test to see if I need to clay or not. Like Paulie said, I agree iron decon is optional.

I'd guess a 2019 paint needs at least a good clay job before correcting/polishing.

Coatingsarecrack
02-26-2023, 04:41 AM
I am in the iron decon boat. Not a pro by any means but removing as much contamination before you drag clay (synthetic or real) makes sense to me.

Seems like less things dragging across the paint. Same with claying before polishing. Seems like it would be most gentle process in sake of clearcoat preservation.

Again just my thoughts… no science behind it.

I’ve used 914 as a clay lube and it worked well.

My process is iron remover on dry dirty car. Rinse. Wash. Dry and then clay. Then polish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackismydog
02-26-2023, 05:34 AM
I am in the iron decon boat. Not a pro by any means but removing as much contamination before you drag clay (synthetic or real) makes sense to me.

Seems like less things dragging across the paint. Same with claying before polishing. Seems like it would be most gentle process in sake of clearcoat preservation.

My process is iron remover on dry dirty car. Rinse. Wash. Dry and then clay. Then polish.

I'm with you ! Same process here but a bit different:

Process done inside or out of direct sun:

rinse, wash ( I have a mitt dedicated for this job) , rinse, iron remover ( let it work around 4-5 min), rinse, wash ( new mitt dedicated ) , then clay, wash ( new mitt dedicated also for an after clay job! ) , dry and polish!

I know this might look overkill but I feel comfortable with this process.

DFB
02-26-2023, 06:15 AM

Those are my sentiments as well, if it's a car you care about, then going through each step for thoroughness is never a bad thing.

So I’m looking to give my truck a good clean for the first time since I bought it new in 2019. I’m looking to use something like IronX and GGs synthetic clay bar puck.

I’m guessing I should maybe wash it, then IronX and then run the clay bar over it? Does it make sense to also use IronX while going behind it with the clay bar? Or am I doing double work?

Also would using N914 as clay lube be a good idea? I found a gallon of it and didn’t know I had it, so if so - that’ll work great if it’s a good clay lube.

In the end, I’m going to polish the paint with GGs perfecting cream as the paint is good. I have other fine polishes but would most likely use the perfecting cream. With the truck being the Ford tricoat platinum white, it’s showing dirt and I’ll have to remove light swirling from claying.

The highlighted process is how I approach it - wash as usual, rinse, apply iron remover and allow to react, rinse, clay with a lubricant, rinse, dry.

N-914 can absolutely be used as a clay lubricant, use at 128:1 ratio.

If you want to speed up your process, you can use IronX as the clay lubricant. I find using an iron remover as a lubricant unpleasant owing to smell.

briarpatch
02-26-2023, 08:54 AM

^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^