PDA

View Full Version : Can one Over Apply Too Often Leather....

chefwong
02-25-2023, 06:34 PM
Just got me thinking....garage queen. Only has seen 900 miles since brand new. Took her out for a drive, thought I closed the windows closed but the passenger side was left open a -crack-.
Didn't even realize it until I was looking at the phone at my *app*, and it showed the window open. I had the Oh Sh1# moment....as I left to check on it in the rain.

Very minor water was on the top of the horizontal door card by the window as well as the armrest of the same door card. could have been sitting on surface fish or as of 4 hrs ago. leather door card.

My biggest concern was -water leather damage-. You know, how if water damages leather - it get's bubbly and stuff.
Luckily I did not see in nor subsequent inspections show none. Maybe a little wrinkling on the armrest but when I look at the outer bolsters of the seat, I see even more *similar minor wrinkling*.

Anyhow, the leather on the door panels did have ColourLock Sealant on it.
My leather is dyed - it's not color coated.

And I re-applied ColourLock Sealant due to this incident even though I know the previous application of ColourLock Protect is still fine on it (it's a garage queen)
Anyhow, which got me thinking....as I just applied enough to cover the surface evenly. Since my leather is not coated, it could (drink up more of this stuff if I went super heavy on 2-3 passes if I wanted).

......Which leads to this post I suppose. Can one over-apply leather products on *natural leather*.
Personally for myself, I am very simple on leather. Keep it clean on H20 wipesdowns alot..... Occasionally I will use something like an cleaner and I can see if will (remove more surface dirt) that I would not even see with a H20 wipedown.

I do a conditioner or sealant based on frequency of use. The only reason I did the Sealant was the (oh sh## moment and I one of those reflective reactions to it). It did not need another layer of Protect on it.

Coatingsarecrack
02-26-2023, 04:52 AM
I’ve never heard of over applying but would personally be careful on uncoated leather. Your explanation makes it sound like Aniline leather (semi maybe?).

Be careful what you use to clean and protect as it can remove dye or stain leather. Be especially careful with cleaners.

If aniline no coatings. I use to use Xpress which didn’t mess up my Katzkins but P&S didn’t recommend. It was diluted 60/40 water P&S.

I ordered leather honey cleaner for cleaning. Leather masters Vital to condition it and use Gyeon LeatherCoat as these are all approved for Aniline.

ColourLock does not recommend Shield for Aniline or semi. Protect is OK for Semi not pure aniline.

Not sure if my seats are aniline or semi so I ordered this just today

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230226/19118a8e32566f434dc4da04db17b56c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
02-26-2023, 06:40 AM
What kind of car is it?

chefwong
02-27-2023, 09:08 AM
It's Semi . Both are listed for Semi as well

I have one of this ##@ SC### moments as I know someone else in same chassis, who had the tinter retint the window as the original install was not done well.
In tint removal or tint application, either steam is involved to remove and or lotsa slip solution to clean and also apply tint.
Anyhow, the door card was damaged so bad, the tint shop owner ended up buying a new door card at $2500+.....

Now that's I've revisited this topic of leather, off to see reviews on whether these -non coating- types leather toppers work or not.
I have coated other color coated leather. It is *impressive* regarding dye transfer but even as such I don't like that it's permanent, it does change the texture to smidge shiner and slicker and depending on how OCD you get, there is a very subtle color shift as well.