PDA

View Full Version : Glass polishing...removing wiper marks.

Pages : [1] 2

opie
02-18-2023, 10:59 AM
Anyone have any experience in polishing glass using rayon pads and cerium oxide glass polish?

Gonna give it a go this weekend. I know mike p did a recent article/video on it...just figured id ask here too

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Big Dave
02-18-2023, 04:49 PM
I used it about 5 or 6 years ago. When I bought the FJ the windscreen was really bad for wiper marks and pits from small stones. It was really bad when driving into the sun and when bright headlights were coming towards me at night.

From what I remember of the process, I taped off the rubber seals, then went at it in an even criss cross pattern, never spending too long in one area, to avoid heat build up. I remember touching the glass several times and finding it only got a little warmer, nothing to worry about.

End result for me, it removed all of the wiper scratches, and almost none of the pits, pretty much as expected. I eventually got a new windscreen put in, cost me $800, only for a truck to flick a big rock up and put a huge chip in it less 3 months after getting it. Luckily it was on the passenger side, and repairable with that resin injection method.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

nmatthew
02-18-2023, 09:50 PM
Anyone have any experience in polishing glass using rayon pads and cerium oxide glass polish?

Gonna give it a go this weekend. I know mike p did a recent article/video on it...just figured id ask here too

Sent from my SM-S901U using TapatalkYes. How bad are the marks?

From my experience this method worked for me on glass that has lighter to moderate wiper marks. One time I detailed a very bad windshield with wiper marks so obvious and deeper scratches, this method did not work perfectly.

But if it is a relatively new car and its not that bad I'm sure it will work. Just need to put in some effort n elbow grease. Also tape the rubber seals or else it will be a pain to clean afterwards.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Rsurfer
02-19-2023, 12:39 AM
I would never try to polish glass with a DA.

opie
02-19-2023, 03:04 AM
Yes. How bad are the marks?
Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Not bad really, its only really in two spots that bother me, both where the wipers stop on the up stroke.

No deep gouges or anything so they should come out no problem.

opie
02-19-2023, 03:06 AM
I would never try to polish glass with a DA.me either..so not sure who your referring to cuz I never said anything about a da. Or any machine up until this point.

I will be using my flex rotary, with an interface pad.

Eldorado2k
02-19-2023, 05:50 AM
I would never try to polish glass with a DA.

I was under the impression he was going to do it by hand. Lol. J/k

DFB
02-19-2023, 06:12 AM

I have used Carpro CeriGlass a few times and while effective, it's a pain to use.

Taping of rubber trims is not optional, you need to manage heat, it splatters a lot and is annoying to remove the residue. You also need to be super careful when removing splatter from paint due to the extremely abrasive nature of the product. Having a bottle of water handy for supplemental cooling/lubrication is also good practice.

Post 11 in this thread for more on CeriGlass -
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/130899-vacation-detailing-project-take-one-2.html#post1744634

I have since started to use P&S Clarity Creme, which much nicer to play with, in particular, removing the residue is considerably easier.

Big Dave
02-19-2023, 06:18 AM
I did mine with a cheap ass Meguiar's RO machine, all I had access to at the time. The place I bought the Ceriglass kit sold me the pads to go with it. Their main advice when using a machine was to keep the movement even, and be careful of heat build up, hence why I mentioned checking the heat in my earlier post.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

opie
02-19-2023, 07:49 AM
Right on, thanks guys. Mike p recommended taping off and covering the rest of the car.

Also almost constantly using water..spritzing it onto the windshield.

Dbf..3D's new glass polish is what ill be using. Hopefully its not a pain like you said you had with ceriglass

Rsurfer
02-19-2023, 01:19 PM
I have since started to use P&S Clarity Creme, which much nicer to play with, in particular, removing the residue is considerably easier.

Will Clarity Cream remove fine scratches? Been wanting to try it.

Rsurfer
02-19-2023, 01:22 PM
me either..so not sure who your referring to cuz I never said anything about a da. Or any machine up until this point.

I will be using my flex rotary, with an interface pad.

In general because most newbies will use a DA.

Eldorado2k
02-19-2023, 01:30 PM
Shots fired![emoji23]lol. J/k[emoji16]

opie
02-19-2023, 04:20 PM
In general because most newbies will use a DA.Im a newbie to glass polishing..obviously

But assuming...that can make you look like an ass.

DFB
02-20-2023, 03:52 AM
Will Clarity Cream remove fine scratches? Been wanting to try it.

Probably not, it's really more of a deep cleaner for glass.

From P&S -

"Over time exterior glass accumulates water spots, mineral deposits, calcium build up, wiper blade residue, etc. and glass cleaner will no longer do the trick. Glass needs to be polished back to its original condition. Clarity Creme Glass Polish quickly and effectively removes particulate to create a smooth OEM glass finish."