PDA

View Full Version : Confused about what to do for my WRX

billspin
04-25-2008, 07:23 AM
I have an '08 WRX Black. Yea it's got swirls. Not too bad but I would love to have a swirlless finish. I have taken it to the dealer and they say that these cars have a rather soft finish and I may do more damage than good if I did too much to try and remove what I have. I have seen plenty of WRX's on this site and they look great. Any opinions about this? :confused:

HHIslander
04-25-2008, 07:35 AM
You need a type Polish that is mildly abrasive. Do you have a polisher? Any time you try to do paint correction, you should always start with the least agressive method first. What I mean by that is you should have a few different pads and polishes. In a area roughly the size of 2ft x 2ft, to a test spot. Use the softest pad and lightest cut polish. Then after working that panel, remove polish and check for results. If you didn't remove any of the scratches/ swirl marks/ marring, then move up to a more aggresive pad. Repeat this process untill you find the right polish/pad combo and do that to the entire car.

Do you know much about detailing?

billspin
04-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the reply. I do not have a polisher or anything else to the level of work described on this site. I do love the results I see. I have put together a package of products with the Pinnacle XMT swirl remover #1 and #2. I don't mind spending the money on the products but I just do not want to end up worse than before when I started. I put together a package of products based on the video here for the Light Swirl Removal process. Don't know much about detailing or actual paint processes, but I know I love a great looking car finish.

HHIslander
04-25-2008, 04:27 PM
I would read up on proper washing techniques, how to clay bar and what it's used for (which you probably should do before you polish), and the basics of detailing. If you follow the steps you read on this site, along with what I described above, you should be ok. The great thing about this site it that if you ever get in a position that you're confused about, someone here will know what to do. Or call AutoGeek and they have a tech department...

I wouldn't be timid or hesitant, with a da polisher, assuming you don't do anything careless, really hurting paint is difficult.

On the other hand, if you don't feel comfortable, it might be worth it to take it to someone to fix it for you....

ScottB
04-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Wash --- Clay --- Polish --- Protect

Id personally start with Menzerna FP in this case as see if the paint is really "soft". 106FF (Nano) could offer a little more bite initially and still finish up quite well. Just dont know how well it works on the WRX specifically.

richy
04-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the reply. I do not have a polisher or anything else to the level of work described on this site. I do love the results I see. I have put together a package of products with the Pinnacle XMT swirl remover #1 and #2. I don't mind spending the money on the products but I just do not want to end up worse than before when I started. I put together a package of products based on the video here for the Light Swirl Removal process. Don't know much about detailing or actual paint processes, but I know I love a great looking car finish.

If I owned a great car like a WRX, I'd want the perfect finish too. I would suggest you read and choose between pc, udm or flex (flex is best, imo) and read a lot about technique..bottom line..don't be intimidated...you'll be amazed at how easy it is and the results will blow your mind. I would go with Menzerna 106ff and get a white and blue pad to start. So the next time you blow someone away at a stoplight, they'll get to see your perfect, swirl-free paint as it fades from their view!:righton:

HHIslander
04-26-2008, 09:44 AM
read a lot about technique..bottom line..don't be intimidated...you'll be amazed at how easy it is and the results will blow your mind.

:whs: :iagree:

billspin
04-26-2008, 10:26 AM
This is a list of what I was thinking of getting. But you are suggesting Menzerna 106ff. Is there any specific reason? And what do you think of the list below? Thanks
All Steps Porter Cable 7424 HD 6" Dual Action Polisher - kit
5" Backing Plate - kit
Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner
Blue Painter Tape
Cobra Microfiber Towel

Step 1 Pinnacle XMT Fine Swirl Remover #2
Lake Country Orange Pad kit

Step 2 Pinnacle XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover #1
Lake Country White Polishing Pad - kit

Step 3 Pinnacle XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze
Lake Country Gray Pad

Step 4 Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax