PDA

View Full Version : Anyone "cocktail" polishes anymore?

Paul A.
02-09-2023, 11:25 AM
I had a '59 Ford Fairlane this week and after several test spots arrived at 3D One mixed with DG501 on an orange LC HDO pad. And I mean several tests with a bunch of products/pads.

I know those 2 products are similar but together they yielded the best 1 step with brilliance and shine.

The vehicle was resprayed at some point and was 2 stage with clear. Gorgeous bone ivory over powder blue.

Anyone else mixing products on the same pad?

Desertnate
02-09-2023, 12:08 PM
I don't think I've ever found a need to mix things or even think about it. Based on the situation I've found a product that delivered the results I want/need without having to play mad chemist.

chilly
02-09-2023, 12:40 PM
Pretty sure I have read about people mixing some of the pro line Megs M series compounds and polishes to achieve a specific goal but never tried it myself

It is an interesting concept though

Paul A.
02-09-2023, 01:30 PM
I hear ya, Nate. Me too 99% of the time a single product does what i want. Especially since the explosion of products.

In this case i tried both One and DG501 individually for test spots however when combined gave signicantly better results after careful inspection. Paint had moderate oxidation.

Paul A.
02-09-2023, 01:36 PM
I might be going back 20 years, chilly, but it was more common than today.

98CayenneTA
02-09-2023, 03:56 PM
I do it often.... just did it today on a white Chevelle.

2/3's Essence Plus 1/3 Essence on a Rupes yellow medium wool pad.

TWHS black polish gives great results, it's just a pain in the D to use. Couple weeks ago did a Black 1971 Mach 1 with 2/3's black polish 1/3 Essence and it makes it so must nicer to work with.

I have done the same with Menzerna 3800 and a dab of ACA 500.... and could name many more combos....

A lot of times I will add a dab of a compound to 3D speed also

noorth
02-09-2023, 05:16 PM
What results do you get from the essence+ and essence combo? Very interesting..

98CayenneTA
02-09-2023, 05:23 PM
What results do you get from the essence+ and essence combo? Very interesting..

Decent cut but you can also leave it on the surface and come back and wipe it off without it sticking to the panel like it would if it was essence by itself

noorth
02-09-2023, 05:31 PM
Decent cut but you can also leave it on the surface and come back and wipe it off without it sticking to the panel like it would if it was essence by itself

Interesting idea. The last few years i actually did 2 or 3 working sections - 6x-8x my pad size - before i grab a towel. It made polishing a lot more fun instead of putting the machine down every working section. A rag soaked in a rinseless wash is a good idea too if you want to say polish 2 or 3 panels before wipe down.