PDA

View Full Version : Advice on my Spring routine

Pages : [1] 2

01AUDI
01-29-2023, 12:05 PM
In preparation to the upcoming Spring, I wanted to get a routine in place. I am
out of a lot of product and need to re purchase some items anyway.

Over the winter I slacked on my washes and kept to only once a month washes and used my Sealant back 3-4months ago. We had a nice warm spell so I just sealed my black SUV with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant. Afterword I used OCW as a topper. I have just enough for one more wash and topper before the OCW is gone.

I love the Wolfgang Deep Gloss on my black paint, looks the best that I have used. But once it gets warm , I will be more willing to wash every 2 weeks (or if I just get dirty for some reason).

1. my vehicle is left outside and daily driven to work. I first wanted to understand how often I should re/seal ? Is 3 months realistic with washes every 2 weeks ?

2. I need a topper. I have been using OCW but it is not the most glossy. I currently use 3D Pink, but again I am almost out. Would I be better off with a new bottle of “wash and wax” or should I buy 3D again and look for a new Caranuba type topper? I would only need it for 2-3 weeks before waging a reapplying again. Not looking for a long term type topper.
either way, what suggestions would you use depending on which way I should go.

Coatingsarecrack
01-30-2023, 04:55 AM
3 months is fine but I would probably strip the protection. There are chemical ways but a light polish is best.

If not polishing I would

Iron remover, let dwell, rinse

Alkaline pre wash, dwell rinse

Acidic Bucket Wash, rinse

alklaline bucket wash, rinse

PH neutral wash rinse

Dry

Panel prep

For a topper Wolfgang likes this

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant (https://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-deep-gloss-spritz-sealant.html?sku=WG-9200&utm_campaign=18024428304&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxfHMoIHv_AIV0yCtBh2kWwLYEAQYAiAB EgLsNvD_BwE)

Would also keep it synergistic. I don’t really care about that. If you don’t mind spending the money I like Polish Angel.

I would do DGPS once every 6 months and PA high gloss or Black Wulfenite monthly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desertnate
01-30-2023, 08:40 AM
I don't really use a topper so I won't be much help there.

A good sealant like the Wolfgang should last at least six months; maybe longer if your using toppers. You should only have to apply it twice a year.

Agree that a good deep clean or polishing (even if it's just a light one) would be in order before applying the sealant. However, I will admit to simply washing and slapping on a layer of LSP in the past when time/weather didn't allow me to do things the correct way and everything turned out just fine.

01AUDI
01-30-2023, 01:02 PM
Thank you for the replies. Just to elaborate , I had done a good polish about 5months ago prior to my winter sealing. I did an entire iron remover, polish, seal, etc. and topped off with OCW throughout the winter with my normal washes.

I would still use that process come spring, I am mainly looking for advice on whether these Wash and Wax products would be worth it ( due to the ease of using them) or if I should stick to my 3D Pink wash and then use some type of topper that would work well with the Deep Gloss.

I see the recommendation for the Deep Gloss Spritz, but is that a topper or is that just a spray on version of regular Deep Gloss liquid? I would be using the topper every 2-3 weeks and don’t want to keep adding sealant over sealant.

I was originally thinking of a Caranuba type topper for its shine. And since I would be applying this e dry 2-3 weeks. It would wear off by that point anyway so I would not be compounding product over product so much. Would something like the Wolfgang Uber Wash n Wax be any better or worse than the Spritz ?

Desertnate
01-30-2023, 03:42 PM
I would stick with your 3D soap and then put something else on the top of your sealant. Wash and Wax products offer minimal protection, if at all, and in my experience just offer a bit of a better appearance and not much else.

The products used as toppers are sealants, so whether you use a QD spray after every wash or a spray sealant every 2~3 weeks, you'll be laying on sealants. The only difference is the spay products less durable than the base product. In some cases like the Spritz mentioned before, it probably does have some of their liquid sealant in it, but also other products to make it go on easier/thinner and maybe some other waxes, polymers, or ceramic to make the surface look more glossy/shiny.

01AUDI
01-30-2023, 03:49 PM
Oh ok that explains a lot.

Last question then. Is this Spritz spray best to top the original Deep Gloss , or is there a better “glossy” topper recommendation? As mentioned before, I was using OCW and as it was a good topper, it did not give me the gloss look I wanted.

PaulMys
01-30-2023, 05:23 PM
Have you considered Wolfgang Fuzion to top your Deep Gloss?

The results are stunning......... :)

01AUDI
01-30-2023, 05:58 PM
Have you considered Wolfgang Fuzion to top your Deep Gloss?

The results are stunning......... :)

I have not, I think it’s a little more than I want to spend for a bi-monthly topper! But I’m sure it would look fantastic

PaulMys
01-30-2023, 06:12 PM
I have not, I think it’s a little more than I want to spend for a bi-monthly topper! But I’m sure it would look fantastic

The spray version?

01AUDI
01-30-2023, 07:41 PM
Oh didn’t know about that! I’ll check it out.

Coatingsarecrack
01-31-2023, 02:35 AM
Thank you for the replies. Just to elaborate , I had done a good polish about 5months ago prior to my winter sealing. I did an entire iron remover, polish, seal, etc. and topped off with OCW throughout the winter with my normal washes.

I would still use that process come spring, I am mainly looking for advice on whether these Wash and Wax products would be worth it ( due to the ease of using them) or if I should stick to my 3D Pink wash and then use some type of topper that would work well with the Deep Gloss.

I see the recommendation for the Deep Gloss Spritz, but is that a topper or is that just a spray on version of regular Deep Gloss liquid? I would be using the topper every 2-3 weeks and don’t want to keep adding sealant over sealant.

I was originally thinking of a Caranuba type topper for its shine. And since I would be applying this e dry 2-3 weeks. It would wear off by that point anyway so I would not be compounding product over product so much. Would something like the Wolfgang Uber Wash n Wax be any better or worse than the Spritz ?

Wolfgang recommends it as a topper. In you case I would use the spritz once monthly ontop of wgdgps and then use WG spritz detailer every wash.

As for glossy to top it there aren’t to many people left using WGDGPS and carnauba toppers. Sooo 2007’ish.

Most have moved onto Sio2 products.

The products I like for weekly top ups are P&S Dream Maker, Adam’s slick and slide (TecChoice 582 is same product) and my favorite but have to order from Canada is Tac Systems Shinee Wax. Last one would be my choice if I used DGP sealant.

Also Griots Best of Show spray wax was nice couple times I used it.

dlc95
01-31-2023, 09:48 PM
I'm debating on wether or not to give my car a light polish this spring.

I haven't been diligent either, but it still looks great. Right now it's a test bed for Optimum stuff, but I have Opti-Seal on the majority of the paint.

I did top everything off with OCW in the fall and have been doing ONR washes in the garage.

I like using Optimum Instantant Detailer for a drying aid and for those times I want to baby the car after washing.

The gf's Jeeep has Gloss Coat + Hyper Seal on it, so all it's going to need is a light decon wash and Instant Detailer.

Mom's car has Opti-Seal and it will get the clay + Opti-Seal in the spring again. It's been doing a great job since I applied the last coat in the fall. But, the winter here in MI has been mild until today anyways!

Coatingsarecrack
02-01-2023, 01:41 AM
I'm debating on wether or not to give my car a light polish this spring.

I haven't been diligent either, but it still looks great. Right now it's a test bed for Optimum stuff, but I have Opti-Seal on the majority of the paint.

I did top everything off with OCW in the fall and have been doing ONR washes in the garage.

I like using Optimum Instantant Detailer for a drying aid and for those times I want to baby the car after washing.

The gf's Jeeep has Gloss Coat + Hyper Seal on it, so all it's going to need is a light decon wash and Instant Detailer.

Mom's car has Opti-Seal and it will get the clay + Opti-Seal in the spring again. It's been doing a great job since I applied the last coat in the fall. But, the winter here in MI has been mild until today anyways!

Do you do detailing professionally? Just asking because you seem to be all I. On optimum products.

01AUDI
02-02-2023, 04:59 PM
Wolfgang recommends it as a topper. In you case I would use the spritz once monthly ontop of wgdgps and then use WG spritz detailer every wash.

As for glossy to top it there aren’t to many people left using WGDGPS and carnauba toppers. Sooo 2007’ish.

Most have moved onto Sio2 products.

HaHa that’s funny.
So if you say everyone is going to Si02, should I get the WF Uber Si02? Or is Spritz better for WGDPS ?

Coatingsarecrack
02-02-2023, 10:11 PM
HaHa that’s funny.
So if you say everyone is going to Si02, should I get the WF Uber Si02? Or is Spritz better for WGDPS ?

I’d stick with spritz.