PDA

View Full Version : Water heater down.

Pages : [1] 2 3

PA DETAILER
01-26-2023, 07:47 AM
Took a dump this morning. Can't complain. 17 years on the current one! Rheam. Local plumbing outfit will be here shortly with the new one. Great they can do it on such a short notice!

Odrapnew
01-26-2023, 08:05 AM
Our old one sprouted a very small leak a few years back.
Small enough that the concrete below the water heater was getting damp and that spot was slowly getting bigger over the course of days, so it wasn't an emergency.

When I removed the old one, the inlet/outlet pipes were severely gunked up along with the drain spigot. I had to tip it on its side while using my wet vac to pull water out the top. When I finally got enough water out to lay it down, I had to remove the whole drain spigot (also gunked up) to clean it to be able to fully drain the water out through a hose. Our utility room is across the finished basement from the floor drain, so I couldn't just pour right into the floor, I had to run a garden hose from the spigot to the drain.

briarpatch
01-26-2023, 08:16 AM
Ours is going on 15 years....electric....going propane tankless when it dies

PA DETAILER
01-26-2023, 08:17 AM
Gas/hot water here. He arrived at 8. Working on it now.

One American Standard 40G tank installed. Along with a expansion tank added. Installer was very professional, and the install was clean. 3.5-hour job. You can't possibly ask for quicker service being this happened around 6:30 this morning.

One of life's unexpected expenses.

PaulMys
01-26-2023, 05:27 PM
We bought our house in 2005 and I replaced the water heater in 2010/2011. Don't know how old that one was.

But at 12 or 13 years old, the one I put in will probably be screwing the pooch sooner than later.......

luckydawg
01-26-2023, 05:38 PM
Mine is 30 yrs old this August, not had the first hint of trouble with it ( hope it doesnt start now---jynxed ). Never done nuthin to it except I flushed it one time about 15 yrs ago. Orig elements in it also.

Most all of you folks that dont live in Fl. dont pay much compared to us in homeowners insurance. The Govt lets these ins. companies sodomize us to no end. My insurance trippled over the last 6-7 yrs. Now when you go to look for other carriers they all want you to put on a new roof if its over 10 yrs old and replace the hot water heater if its older than 15. Forcing you in a sense to replace things that are perfectly fine. If it gets to much worse I will tell them to pound sand and go with out ins.
Good luck with your install PA

luckydawg
01-27-2023, 06:43 AM
PA
How did the install go-- did you go electric or gas

PA DETAILER
01-27-2023, 09:14 AM
PA
How did the install go-- did you go electric or gas

Gas. As stated above, local plumbing outfit did it. No complaints.

Desertnate
01-27-2023, 12:10 PM
Ours is going on 15 years....electric....going propane tankless when it dies

This is where we are too. We have a gas heater that was installed in the house when the house was built 14 years ago. It's still working fine, but we'll go tankless when this one dies.

We encountered tankless heaters in several places while living in Europe 20+ years ago. Loved the near instant and endless hot water.

opie
01-27-2023, 06:07 PM
This is where we are too. We have a gas heater that was installed in the house when the house was built 14 years ago. It's still working fine, but we'll go tankless when this one dies.

We encountered tankless heaters in several places while living in Europe 20+ years ago. Loved the near instant and endless hot water.If the power goes out...no hot water though, or working stove if ya get rid of gas. Unless ya ot solar i rekon.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

opie
01-27-2023, 06:15 PM
PA glad ya got it swapped quickly. I replaced my gas hot water tank last summer. Wanted to go ventless but didnt sence we still had oir old furnace and waant showing any signs of puking.

Fast forward to november....bam our old ass furnace suddenly showed bad signs of cracked heat exchanger. Didnt have heat for a week due to it being unsafe. Only got down to 60 in the house. Cold but nothing like what im sure some folks have to li e with out there. Got new one installed a week later and its working great. Finally runnin a high efficiency furnace and will for the first time since living in this house we will have central air! No more fackin with window units each year. Wish i woukda bought a ventless hot water tank...damnn it lol

chilly
01-28-2023, 07:22 PM
Took a dump this morning. Can't complain. 17 years on the current one! Rheam. Local plumbing outfit will be here shortly with the new one. Great they can do it on such a short notice!

Why you dirty rotten €£*^%#

Within 30 minutes of reading this post I got this from my daughter

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230129/0c3ed6604e4736d66492ec95e3296351.jpg

Guess how I spent my Saturday morning

And I BLAME YOU!!!!

[emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA DETAILER
01-29-2023, 07:18 AM
Why you dirty rotten €£*^%#

Within 30 minutes of reading this post I got this from my daughter

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230129/0c3ed6604e4736d66492ec95e3296351.jpg

Guess how I spent my Saturday morning

And I BLAME YOU!!!!

[emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW! What are the odds? How old?

chilly
01-29-2023, 12:21 PM
WOW! What are the odds? How old?

That's a sore subject with my daughter actually

They bought the house in late summer 2020 and one of the selling points was "new water heater, installed 06/2020"

Then a year later the igniter went south and she had to sort that out and turns out the heater was BUILT in 2009, but was installed as new in 2020

I don't know what the actual situation was, shenanigans or what, the sellers had the house for a couple of years and flipped it doing all the work themselves

There are a couple of "builder's bargains" stores in the area with odd lots and stuff, maybe they picked it up there, IDK

We went to Lowes and got a new heater and with my military discount it was about $475

Draining the old one took the most time as usual and my son in law helped wrestle the old one out and the new one in

All good

Carry on

Desertnate
01-30-2023, 08:52 AM
If the power goes out...no hot water though, or working stove if ya get rid of gas. Unless ya ot solar i rekon.

We have gas now for our furnace, water heater, and stove. That's not going anywhere and we'd go gas tankless if it comes to that. Not only for the reasons you mention, but around here gas is cheaper than electricity.

We had a solar water heater when we lived in Hawaii. It sucked. The water never really got as hot as we'd like for things like washing dishes or sometimes even bathing. When we lived there I had to go to work before the sun came up. Guess what? No sun, no hot water! Rainy days in the winter were bad that way too. There was an electric backup on the the unit, but you had to manually turn it on, it took forever to heat the tank, and the electricity for it was really expensive. Novel idea, but not practical at all.