PDA

View Full Version : What's on / "in" my wheels? - only comes off with compound

mfish
01-23-2023, 07:43 PM
Please see attached pic. I just bought a used 2019 Jaguar F-Pace with 22" black wheels. Can anyone tell me what's on / "in" my wheels based on this pic?

I know I shouldn't use caustic wheel cleaner because it can damage the wheels but due to their current condition I figured I'd need to break out the big guns. I first tried Adam's ph neutral shampoo and it didn't help. I then tried Armor All extreme wheel and tire cleaner and that didn't help. I tried a clay bar and that didn't help either.

I finally used mother's ultimate compound by hand (I don't own a DA) and it did work to remove the staining with a lot of elbow grease. Does that mean this is likely something that can only be removed by polishing with some sort of abrasive or might their be some chemical that can remove this so I don't need to go through such a tedious process?

My other concern, and I should have realized this before breaking out the compound, but I'm not sure if these wheels were matte, satin or gloss to begin with. Does the fact that the compound worked tell us that they at least have some sort of clear coat and are likely satin or gloss (not matte) or maybe not? Could using compound on a matte or satin finish effectively turn it into a gloss finish? I do like the look of the gloss of the section that I compounded nonetheless.

The 2nd pic where my finger is pointing is the section that I compounded. The other pic is before I used any compound.

Thanks!

Odrapnew
01-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Random test, try a little WD40 on a rag, wipe on, wipe off.
That's just a guess, but worth a shot if you have some on hand.

I had some odd spots on my motorcycle wheels and someone said use WD40. Took off the spots with ease.

The Guz
01-24-2023, 01:55 PM
They are damaged from most likely the wrong chemical used on them and improper care.

If they are matte/satin, they will have a gloss finish when compounding or polishing and no longer be matte/satin.

If they are gloss then you are restoring the finish back to gloss.

Desertnate
01-24-2023, 06:18 PM
They are damaged from most likely the wrong chemical used on them and improper care.

From the pictures that is what is looks like to me as well. The uneven/mottled finish not to mention the pattern of the damage on the spokes look like a darker, satin finish has been rubbed away.

PaulMys
01-24-2023, 06:27 PM
From the pictures that is what is looks like to me as well. The uneven/mottled finish not to mention the pattern of the damage on the spokes look like a darker, satin finish has been rubbed away.

100%.

Tasmania
01-24-2023, 07:17 PM
Chemical etching = cooked get them powder coated

mfish
01-27-2023, 05:55 PM
Thanks for everyone's feedback and advice. I ended having a detailer spend 3 hours polishing all the wheels. They're not perfect but a heck of a lot better. It is true that the only way to get them perfect would be to get them powder coated but I'm happy for now.

luckydawg
01-27-2023, 08:04 PM
better get a coating on them now

mfish
01-30-2023, 10:09 AM
better get a coating on them now

Good call. I actually forgot to mention that I did have them coated too.

PA DETAILER
01-30-2023, 11:26 AM
For sure. Looks like he did a great job of saving them.

mfish
01-31-2023, 03:51 PM
For sure. Looks like he did a great job of saving them.

Yes I'm very pleased. $55 per hour x 3 hours ($165) was worth every penny.

Coatingsarecrack
02-01-2023, 02:04 AM
Yes I'm very pleased. $55 per hour x 3 hours ($165) was worth every penny.

Yeah that’s a great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk