PDA

View Full Version : Who else vacuums their refrigerator coils? Lol.

Pages : [1] 2

Eldorado2k
01-11-2023, 12:39 AM
It’s been several months since I did it for the 1st time and It’s probably due for what should be a twice per year detail. When I did it a few months ago it was the 1st time and it was wickedly caked in dust.

I’ve got a process that involves initial vacuuming with a crevice tool, an extended crevice tool made to reach underneath sofas & appliances, a .5” od rubber tube that’s the real game changer to reach into the tiniest of areas inside the coils, and finally the Master Blaster Sidekick to blow out any remaining dust bunnies into my vacuum on the opposite side of the fridge.

Does anyone else vacuum their refrigerator coils? I can’t be the only 1 who finds this extremely satisfying.

2black1s
01-11-2023, 01:20 AM
I cleaned mine recently, but I used a combination of compressed air and the shop vac. The compressed air made a dusty mess, but it got to the areas I couldn't reach with the vacuum.

What did you do today non-detailing related? (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/117055-what-did-you-do-today-non-detailing-related-236.html) Post #2353

Eldorado2k
01-11-2023, 01:39 AM
I cleaned mine recently, but I used a combination of compressed air and the shop vac. The compressed air made a dusty mess, but it got to the areas I couldn't reach with the vacuum.

What did you do today non-detailing related? (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/117055-what-did-you-do-today-non-detailing-related-236.html) Post #2353

Yes, I forgot to mention that all vacuuming was with my Ridgid.[emoji1417]

Bruno Soares
01-11-2023, 06:59 AM
You’re not the only one, I do it too. I wish it was more accessible though, sucks to do that so I do once or twice a year.

Hammer77
01-11-2023, 08:37 AM
I do it too, every six months.

Honda Fan
01-11-2023, 09:34 AM
My thing is changing filters in our forced air heater. They recommend every 3 months under normal use. There is no way I'm keeping them in there for more than 40 days.

chefwong
01-11-2023, 09:53 AM
I wish I could on this particular unit....
It's not a column fridge/freezer but a standard *consumer type*
It does have dual compressors (one for fridge/freezer)
Thing ways like 500lbs but the crazy thing is the way it's setup, there coils are not accessible. I'll have to revisit this since you posted this, but by going off memory when the unit was delivered and I went to figure out how to -maintenance it-, no access panel on this thing

Eldorado2k
01-11-2023, 10:10 AM
I wish I could on this particular unit....
It's not a column fridge/freezer but a standard *consumer type*
It does have dual compressors (one for fridge/freezer)
Thing ways like 500lbs but the crazy thing is the way it's setup, there coils are not accessible. I'll have to revisit this since you posted this, but by going off memory when the unit was delivered and I went to figure out how to -maintenance it-, no access panel on this thing

There’s gotta be a way…

PA DETAILER
01-11-2023, 10:33 AM
Did it awhile back. Made the mistake of blowing it all out. Made a mess in the kitchen. Then just vacuumed the mess up. Also guilty of using the leaf blower in the basement to blow the ceiling free of cobwebs.

chefwong
01-11-2023, 10:53 AM
The back if I recall has zero screws.....WAG would be from the bottom...but this easily 500lb'ish. It managed to put small -caster dent- due to shear weight in our Santos Mahogany flooring which in itself is like 2200 Janka hardness

I specifically recall calling the manuf. saying, hey, best practice to keep coils clean, etc. How do I do it on this. Rep actually pulled up the parts schematic on the phone and id my memory is accurate, she said, you don't, you can't, etc.....

Jackismydog
01-11-2023, 12:27 PM
twice a year for me!

Azure
01-11-2023, 12:58 PM
Yup! Usually once per year. When I see the mess, I always say to myself I should do it more often lol.

Bruno Soares
01-11-2023, 01:26 PM
How about opening the dryer to vacuum lint? It’s insane the amount of lint that isn’t trapped by the screen. After I opened mine for repair, I saw how bad it is and try to clean it once a year. If you haven’t done it, prepare to be amazed at how much lint is in there.

chefwong
01-11-2023, 02:29 PM
May this needs to be a new thread on the never ending household chore list

I just swept the chimneys, and disassembled the flue on water/boiler and gave it all a good cleaning.

On my planned next weekend of was the same for the dryer ducts.

Then comes spring around the corner and then comes the exterior pressure washer cleaning and the never ending list

PaulMys
01-11-2023, 05:50 PM
I do mine twice a year as well.

My house also has electric heat. (Each room has its own thermostat which is nice. You can turn the heat down in all the rooms you are not using.)

But each baseboards heating element/fins needs to be cleaned every so often during the winter. (During the summer, I plug the openings with foam to seal them.)

I also started doing my dryer like Bruno mentioned. I had to take the dryer apart about 7 years ago to replace the drum belt, and I was shocked at the lint packed inside of it. Those lint traps don't catch everything, believe me.....

And speaking of dryers, I also replace the dryer vent hose every 6 months. For about 20 bucks, it beats the hell out of cleaning them IMO.