PDA

View Full Version : WORK PERKS.

Pages : [1] 2 3

PA DETAILER
01-07-2023, 03:14 PM
Well, that time again. 56 hours of unused sick time paid out next week. And been there 15 years, so 4 weeks' vacation this year. 24 hours of personal time. And we were informed a $500 bonus for 2022 will be included in next week's check also. Tax man is going to love that check. :laughing:

Sick time for 2023 is 56 hours paid and 40 hours not paid. We also have always had all the national holidays off and paid.

MisterSnoop
01-07-2023, 05:18 PM
We don't get paid for not taking sick days. I got my 5th week of vacation this year (20 years) combined with working 19/30 which gets me another 2 weeks off. Gonna be tough to take it all. We also have a vacation block from mid January to mid April.

luckydawg
01-07-2023, 05:53 PM
we never got paid for unused sick time- if we did I would have had a nice little check every year, enjoy the bennies!

PaulMys
01-07-2023, 06:14 PM
Our sick days do not carry over at my dealership.

So I was surprised to see an extra 40 hours available on this weeks check.

Thinking it was a mistake, I went up to talk with the General Manager.

She told me that she made an exception in my case because "Whenever we ask you to do something, it gets done. And.... you never take any time off anyway." :laughing:

But that made me feel good. :)

opie
01-07-2023, 06:54 PM
What the helll is this paid vacation yinz speak of? Lol

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

luckydawg
01-07-2023, 06:55 PM
I went over 10 CONSECUTIVE years with out being late, calling in sick or missing ANY scheduled OT
Never got shee-ite for it.
After those ten I said eff them on the sick time but still was never late in 35 yrs--But I only live 9 minutes away from work

Coatingsarecrack
01-08-2023, 01:53 AM
I get 4 weeks off and 5 sick days and 2 paid holidays off as we don’t get any holidays off except Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter.

Upset that we use to get 3 paid holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFB
01-08-2023, 02:32 AM
I'm both employed part time 4 days a week by a company and work for myself the other 3 days.

I hate asking for leave, just an awkward conversation, one that ends up making me feel bad for asking what is owed to me. I have worked there for over 18 years, so I'm also entitled to long-service leave too. I work weekends so the others can have their weekends off, don't have a wife and children to attend to, so I'm never late or have to run the kids somewhere. I have missed out on a lot of things over the years so that I don't inconvenience the boss's, family things, events, car shows, concerts ect. They have cashed in on all of this for a long time now, I'm always the first to be asked to fill in for someone who is taking a day off, they know who is going to give them the most work for the meagre pay. And yet asking for time off is always met with a grunt.

Sick leave is not cashable but does transfer year to year, I have 95 hours / 13 days of sick leave owing.

Holiday leave is cashable on termination, and transfers year to year, I have 417 hours / 57 days of leave owing.

I'm also owed 13 weeks of long service leave, which would be like getting blood from a stone with these people.

opie
01-08-2023, 05:33 AM
I'm both employed part time 4 days a week by a company and work for myself the other 3 days.

I hate asking for leave, just an awkward conversation, one that ends up making me feel bad for asking what is owed to me. I have worked there for over 18 years, so I'm also entitled to long-service leave too. I work weekends so the others can have their weekends off, don't have a wife and children to attend to, so I'm never late or have to run the kids somewhere. I have missed out on a lot of things over the years so that I don't inconvenience the boss's, family things, events, car shows, concerts ect. They have cashed in on all of this for a long time now, I'm always the first to be asked to fill in for someone who is taking a day off, they know who is going to give them the most work for the meagre pay. And yet asking for time off is always met with a grunt.

Sick leave is not cashable but does transfer year to year, I have 95 hours / 13 days of sick leave owing.

Holiday leave is cashable on termination, and transfers year to year, I have 417 hours / 57 days of leave owing.

I'm also owed 13 weeks of long service leave, which would be like getting blood from a stone with these people.Dont let them take advantage of ya man. They clearly know that you dont like to say no...so dont be afraid to start to say it.

To have to work every weekend is a punishment.

DFB
01-08-2023, 06:28 AM
Dont let them take advantage of ya man. They clearly know that you dont like to say no...so dont be afraid to start to say it.

To have to work every weekend is a punishment.

It's a small family business, I'm one of three non-family employees. I'm expected to work and sacrifice as if it were my business, but I don't get any of the perks that goes with that. I worked all the way through Christmas and New Year, that even included Christmas Day and Boxing Day so that they could spend time with their own families. (Plants don't take holidays and still need to be watered, especially with 100 deg temps this year.) Even though I got paid to do that, it wasn't even acknowledged or thanked.

And they take advantage of me because I'm the loser with no family to go home to, so I must be always available, right? I was also two days into my Covid infection, and I was being hassled about returning to work ASAP, an infection I caught while working for them.

I'm only there for the money, I hate them as much as they hate me, I'm just too intense for them but I get jobs done in half the time at a higher quality than other employees. I'm sure they would love to fire me, but then they know they would have to work harder themselves to replace me. I have found over the years that older men don't like a younger man being better at their jobs than them.

Sorry, venting.

luckydawg
01-08-2023, 07:50 AM

I'm also owed 13 weeks of long service leave, which would be like getting blood from a stone with these people.
I would use all I could if I were you -- you never know or think that the business could be sold or what ever then those for things that you listed that you have -- the new folks would probably not honor them-- even if it one of their own that inherits / buys it

Learn from my foolish loyalty-- use what's owed to you

opie
01-08-2023, 09:12 AM
It's a small family business, I'm one of three non-family employees. I'm expected to work and sacrifice as if it were my business, but I don't get any of the perks that goes with that. I worked all the way through Christmas and New Year, that even included Christmas Day and Boxing Day so that they could spend time with their own families. (Plants don't take holidays and still need to be watered, especially with 100 deg temps this year.) Even though I got paid to do that, it wasn't even acknowledged or thanked.

And they take advantage of me because I'm the loser with no family to go home to, so I must be always available, right? I was also two days into my Covid infection, and I was being hassled about returning to work ASAP, an infection I caught while working for them.

I'm only there for the money, I hate them as much as they hate me, I'm just too intense for them but I get jobs done in half the time at a higher quality than other employees. I'm sure they would love to fire me, but then they know they would have to work harder themselves to replace me. I have found over the years that older men don't like a younger man being better at their jobs than them.

Sorry, venting.

Just cuz you dont have kids doesnt mean you dont have a life other than work. I gather you are passsionite about the type of work you do, dont let that passion override the need for dbf time Lol

Do like luckydog said...start to use that time that is availible to you. He is right that one day they might just close down. And if that happens id be willing to bet that they will not comensate you for all your time saved up. Being a small company, and especially with no one else to back you(like a union)...you are on the losing end.

Bruno Soares
01-08-2023, 04:22 PM
I also never got paid for not using sick leave. We have unlimited sick leave so I guess that’s seen as nice enough.

I think I only took 2 or 3 sick days during the 22+ years working there.

PA DETAILER
01-08-2023, 04:58 PM
Yea, our sick time is a little weird. When you get down to it, it's paid if you use it or not. Guess for whatever reason I just like that lump sum payment in Jan. And if you do pull perfect attendance for the year, you get 1 extra day paid off and a catered dinner on work on a Friday.

luckydawg
01-08-2023, 05:08 PM
Yea, our sick time is a little weird. When you get down to it, it's paid if you use it or not. Guess for whatever reason I just like that lump sum payment in Jan. And if you do pull perfect attendance for the year, you get 1 extra day paid off and a catered dinner on work on a Friday.

Nice