PDA

View Full Version : ipa vs glass cleaner?

Pages : [1] 2

nick27
01-06-2023, 09:21 AM
hey guys ive been doing some reading online towards a panel prep... due to them being overpriced for what they are, I currently have p&s tru vue glass cleaner and some isopropyl alcohol 99% proof. which product would be better as a panel wipe ?

Texchappy
01-06-2023, 09:35 AM
Panel wipe, especially the one from the coating company you are using.

The Guz
01-06-2023, 01:43 PM
Take a look over at Autopia as they are having an overstock sale.

A gallon of wolfgang paint prep is $48 at the moment. They also have bottles of Optimim and Glassparency on sale.

nick27
01-06-2023, 06:19 PM
Take a look over at Autopia as they are having an overstock sale.

A gallon of wolfgang paint prep is $48 at the moment. They also have bottles of Optimim and Glassparency on sale.

sweet thanks! So you wouldn’t dilute a home brew of ipa? Would you use a glass cleaner or just purely a panel wipe from a rtu manufacture ?

luckydawg
01-06-2023, 07:28 PM
There are many threads you can read through on ipa mixes- MP wrote an extended article on this and gave the formula for us to make it on the cheap @ home-- here is the link

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)

Mike also uses Sonax glass cleaner for a panel wipe. I dont need to waste my money spending it on expensive name brand items like a big name company brand panel wipe when I can make it JUST AS GOOD for way less $$. More convienent also- I got all that it takes right here @ home

The Guz
01-06-2023, 08:58 PM
sweet thanks! So you wouldn’t dilute a home brew of ipa? Would you use a glass cleaner or just purely a panel wipe from a rtu manufacture ?

Easy to get something ready to use rather than mixing something up. IPA doesn’t have the lubrication. Mike Phillips mentioned this a few times on the forum when he was here.

I bought a couple gallons of Meguiar’s M122 Surface prep for cheap and that’s what I use.

luckydawg
01-06-2023, 09:36 PM
IPA doesn’t have the lubrication.
lubricating, but not leaving anything, my ipa has enough lubricity then- just sayin

The Guz
01-06-2023, 11:38 PM
Use what works.

98CayenneTA
01-07-2023, 12:11 AM
Dumb thread

DFB
01-07-2023, 02:25 AM
Easy to get something ready to use rather than mixing something up. IPA doesn’t have the lubrication. Mike Phillips mentioned this a few times on the forum when he was here.

I bought a couple gallons of Meguiar’s M122 Surface prep for cheap and that’s what I use.

I favor using Carpro Eraser and Gyeon Prep for this reason, they just feel nicer to use. I have also used a water/IPA blend prep spray along with another product sold as an alternative to Eraser, these were super grabby and not at all nice to use. If Carpro are blending their product with a lubricant while still being compatible with their coatings, then that's enough for me.

If you are going to the effort and expense of applying a ceramic coating, then don't cheap out on the most important prep stage during the process.

nick27
01-07-2023, 08:21 AM
upon reading some more threads, there is a 1oz of sles or apc added for the bite and added cleaning power as well as lube I guess. as far as looking up msds sheets from p&s panel prep and there glass cleaner there identical ingredients....

DUBL0WS6
01-07-2023, 09:28 PM
Some people use Sprayway glass cleaner since it has some type of alcohol in it. Mothers CMX panel wipe can be found at OReilly's.

Eldorado2k
01-08-2023, 12:36 AM
Some people use Sprayway glass cleaner since it has some type of alcohol in it. Mothers CMX panel wipe can be found at OReilly's.

Meguiars D120 Glass Cleaner Concentrate is also alcohol based, along with Megs Perfect Clarity. Alot of glass cleaners are.

Coatingsarecrack
01-08-2023, 01:20 AM
upon reading some more threads, there is a 1oz of sles or apc added for the bite and added cleaning power as well as lube I guess. as far as looking up msds sheets from p&s panel prep and there glass cleaner there identical ingredients....

True vue:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230108/dd2e59f7d516dac006dca962992ed781.jpg

Panel prep:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230108/cab8660a98f7b2e079e5488298dfd3cd.jpg

Yes same hazardous ingredients. That’s 10-15%. Other ingredients which may include lubricants and surfactants aren’t listed… 85% more.

Small print:

Amounts specified are typical and do not represent a specification. Remaining components are proprietary, non-hazardous, and/or present at amounts below reportable limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nick27
01-08-2023, 11:15 AM
True vue:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230108/dd2e59f7d516dac006dca962992ed781.jpg

Panel prep:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230108/cab8660a98f7b2e079e5488298dfd3cd.jpg

Yes same hazardous ingredients. That’s 10-15%. Other ingredients which may include lubricants and surfactants aren’t listed… 85% more.

Small print:

Amounts specified are typical and do not represent a specification. Remaining components are proprietary, non-hazardous, and/or present at amounts below reportable limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trying to cut down my costs and keep my product line simple. if tru vue which I already own can accomplish this task since they seem to be dead on with ingredients. im using carpro and menzerna polishing products as well. id be applying can coat this spring to my black audi. Canadian prices have gone threw the roof and we don't get any good sales like USA does. pretty painful lol