PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating - First Use

Pages : [1] 2 3

2black1s
01-05-2023, 01:38 PM
First of all, let me say that I'm an old guy and have resisted the urge try a coating for a long time. I have briefly tried 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating but didn't really like its sticky, non-slick nature.

Well, my friend, who's cars and motorcycle I've detailed in the past brought me his white 2018 GMC Sierra for a paint correction and wanted to try a coating. Together we decided to give the Meguiar's a shot. I applied the coating yesterday (last night). It's raining so the truck is sitting in the garage for its 24-hour cure period before exposure to moisture.

My first impression is very positive. As soon as I started with the application I was like "Wow, I like this stuff". Application was a breeze, wipe-off was even easier, and it looks great. And as an added bonus, I was pleasantly surprised at how slick it left the surface.

The kit includes the coating, an applicator, M122 surface prep, and two microfiber towels. I used everything in the kit except the M122, as I opted for another paint cleaner that I used back in my painting days... DuPont 3949S Universal Cleaner. The only "near issue" I had was running out of the coating before finishing this big-ass truck. I did get all the way through with the coating, but I had none left to spare. If I ever did this again, I'd buy extra to have on hand, just-in-case.

Overall, this product definitely gets my thumbs-up to this point. Now we'll have to see how it holds up. The truck is outside 24/7.

I'll try to get some pics later. Now it's back to the garage to do some final touches... windows, trim, etc.

CleanIT
01-05-2023, 04:18 PM
Great choice. Their Hybrid Ceramic Detailer pairs well with this product.

luckydawg
01-05-2023, 05:46 PM
. Now we'll have to see how it holds up. The truck is outside 24/7.

This will mostly depend on how he takes care of it-- or the lack of more specifically

luckydawg
01-05-2023, 05:48 PM
First of all, let me say that I'm an old guy and have resisted the urge try a coating for a long time. I have briefly tried 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating but didn't really like its sticky, non-slick nature.

Well, my friend, who's cars and motorcycle I've detailed in the past brought me his white 2017 GMC Sierra for a paint correction and wanted to try a coating. Together we decided to give the Meguiar's a shot. I applied the coating yesterday (last night). It's raining so the truck is sitting in the garage for its 24-hour cure period before exposure to moisture.

My first impression is very positive. As soon as I started with the application I was like "Wow, I like this stuff". Application was a breeze, wipe-off was even easier, and it looks great. And as an added bonus, I was pleasantly surprised at how slick it left the surface.

The kit includes the coating, an applicator, M122 surface prep, and two microfiber towels. I used everything in the kit except the M122, as I opted for another paint cleaner that I used back in my painting days... DuPont 3949S Universal Cleaner. The only "near issue" I had was running out of the coating before finishing this big-ass truck. I did get all the way through with the coating, but I had none left to spare. If I ever did this again, I'd buy extra to have on hand, just-in-case.

Overall, this product definitely gets my thumbs-up to this point. Now we'll have to see how it holds up. The truck is outside 24/7.

I'll try to get some pics later. Now it's back to the garage to do some final touches... windows, trim, etc.

I'm an old fart also & I resisted @ first just like you did--but I am a big coating "fan" now

PA DETAILER
01-06-2023, 10:27 AM
Interesting product. Thanks for sharing.

2black1s
01-06-2023, 11:04 PM
Here's some pics and a 30,000-foot summary of the process... I finished it today. It was getting dark so the outside shots will have to come tomorrow.

Process Summary

Initial Wash (waterless) ------------------------------- incl.
-- Wipe down each panel prior to clay

Clay ------------------------------------------------------ 3.0 Hours
-- NanoSkin Medium Grade Sponge
-- NanoSkin Glide Clay Lube

Compounding/Polishing ----------------------------- 12.0
-- Rotary/Wool/Meguiar’s 110 (hood only)
-- Mille/DA Yellow/Meguiar’s 205 (2x)

Panel Prep ---------------------------------------------- 1.5
-- DuPont Kwik Clean 3949S

Coating Application ----------------------------------- 3.5
-- Meguiar’s Hybrid Paint Coating

Wheels & Tires ----------------------------------------- 2.5
-- Never Dull (wheels)
-- Bleech White/No Touch (tires)

Lenses & Chrome -------------------------------------- 1.2
-- Meguiar’s D166 by Hand

Trim ------------------------------------------------------ 3.4
-- Meguiar’s Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer
-- Meguiar's #40/Ultimate Protectant (tonneau cover)

Clean Glass; Inside & Out ---------------------------- 0.8
-- 8:1 DI Water:Isopropyl (91%)

------------------------------------------------------------ 27.9 Hours Total

Pics

76226 76227 76228

76229 76230 76231

76232 76233 76234

76235 76236 76237

Bosko
01-07-2023, 10:31 AM
Deal today on this over at the big river place....one that shouldn't be ignored for those of you that are thinking of trying it out.....

2black1s
01-07-2023, 05:34 PM
Here's the outside pics. It's a bit cloudy today so these are the best I can do...

76240 76241 76242

76243 76244 76245

76246 76247 76248

76249 76250

MisterSnoop
01-07-2023, 05:52 PM
Here's some pics and a 30,000-foot summary of the process... I finished it today. It was getting dark so the outside shots will have to come tomorrow.

Process Summary

Initial Wash (waterless) ------------------------------- incl.
-- Wipe down each panel prior to clay

Clay ------------------------------------------------------ 3.0 Hours
-- NanoSkin Medium Grade Sponge
-- NanoSkin Glide Clay Lube

Compounding/Polishing ----------------------------- 12.0
-- Rotary/Wool/Meguiar’s 110 (hood only)
-- Mille/DA Yellow/Meguiar’s 205 (2x)

Panel Prep ---------------------------------------------- 1.5
-- DuPont Kwik Clean 3949S

Coating Application ----------------------------------- 3.5
-- Meguiar’s Hybrid Paint Coating

Wheels & Tires ----------------------------------------- 2.5
-- Never Dull (wheels)
-- Bleech White/No Touch (tires)

Lenses & Chrome -------------------------------------- 1.2
-- Meguiar’s D166 by Hand

Trim ------------------------------------------------------ 3.4
-- Meguiar’s Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer
-- Meguiar's #40/Ultimate Protectant (tonneau cover)

Clean Glass; Inside & Out ---------------------------- 0.8
-- 8:1 DI Water:Isopropyl (91%)

------------------------------------------------------------ 27.9 Hours Total

Pretty detailed summary. Do you provide that to people you do work for?

Silly Rabbit
01-07-2023, 06:39 PM
For the time this product has been out, it has not had alot of feedback or talked about, a few threads here and there and the odd youtube. But it seems it is mostly really poitive talk about it, users are happy with it. It sort of appears to be a bit of a hidden gem...

2black1s
01-07-2023, 07:01 PM
Pretty detailed summary. Do you provide that to people you do work for?

Sometimes... It really depends on the customer and the job, but yes, I will provide it for all of my higher-end jobs which are really the only ones that have ever interested me. I'm just an old, retired guy that likes to put passion into my work, not somebody trying to make a living doing this.

vaca22
01-09-2023, 11:40 AM
I have yet to see this product anywhere. Granted, I haven't been specifically looking for it, but...

Wasn't it going to be discontinued or something like that?

dgage
01-09-2023, 01:04 PM
Wasn't it going to be discontinued or something like that?

It was discontinued in local stores but that was over a year ago so it looks to still be going strong as a mail-order product.

2black1s
01-09-2023, 03:51 PM
It was discontinued in local stores but that was over a year ago so it looks to still be going strong as a mail-order product.

That may be because the general public who is looking for a "wax" at the local auto parts store or Walmart isn't really looking to spend $60 bucks.

Even though the HPC is in the Meguiar's consumer product line-up, I think it's a little pricey for that market.

Coatingsarecrack
04-01-2023, 12:58 AM
$35 dollars on the South American river if you wanna try…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk