PDA

View Full Version : Reccomend a polish

04lss
12-22-2022, 10:16 PM
Hi all,

Ive been doing some paint restoration on an old titan i bought, I got some Rupes Blue heavy cut compound and when paired with a microfiber pad ... WOW it just removed those swirls like they were never there. I followed up with a brand x polish (not sold at AG) and I was ... ok with it. Ive also used Meguiars 205, and Car pro essence (didnt really get to use much, still have the bottle but its over a year old)
I just bought a brand new 2023 VW GLI in white. It predictably has some swirls in the paint. I have a Gtechnic exo/Crystal kit i am going to apply to the car. Before I do, i want to make the paint flawless.
All this to say, I need a polish recommendation. The rupes ultra compound really impressed me, I know they also have Yellow polish and white ultra finish.

Is the Yellow a good option for finishing? I use Rupes yellow pads all the time but have never used the polish.
Do i need the white instead? VW paint is pretty hard, so dont know if the white would do anything.
Should I use the essence i have (if its still any good) I know its low cut, so not sure if itll do the job.
Is there a better option?

noorth
12-22-2022, 10:26 PM
The yellow cap rupes finished out great on my car - Camry and just the roof, i use all kinds of different stuff and i honestly don't see any difference. It did gum up and get dusty if I worked it for more than a minute. It's a fast polish.

I prefer sonax's perfect finish however but the finish to me is no different.

And yeah the rupes blue is supposed to be a very fast and strong cutter. If you like that i would just stick with the rupes yellow polish. The white is for difficult/soft paints according to Rupes themselves.

Uncbrs
12-22-2022, 10:36 PM
I recently tried many polishes/compounds on a 2020 BMW while getting swirls out and found many that worked well but my favorite was from PolishAngel - their Master Compound. Can work it a long time and the wipe away was extremely easy. I was happy with it as a one step.

Ships quickly and they often have deals if you give them your email.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

noorth
12-22-2022, 10:49 PM
I recently tried many polishes/compounds on a 2020 BMW while getting swirls out and found many that worked well but my favorite was from PolishAngel - their Master Compound. Can work it a long time and the wipe away was extremely easy. I was happy with it as a one step.

Ships quickly and they often have deals if you give them your email.

I was going to buy their polish last summer! Big fan of polishangel but shipping and import fees are a bummer to canada.

Uncbrs
12-22-2022, 10:51 PM
I was going to buy their polish last summer! Big fan of polishangel but shipping and import fees are a bummer to canada.I hate shipping. I'd rather spend until I get to the free shipping. No import fees in the US... that's a bummer. If I had import fees it would just give me more reason to jump on a flight regularly and pick-up myself. [emoji16]

Coatingsarecrack
12-23-2022, 01:32 AM
I hate shipping. I'd rather spend until I get to the free shipping. No import fees in the US... that's a bummer. If I had import fees it would just give me more reason to jump on a flight regularly and pick-up myself. [emoji16]

Yeah I seem to do that too but someone once said to me about shipping.

How much would you spend in gas to go get what you want. How much time out of your day? Even if you get free shipping it is not “free”. Someone is paying for it.

Even with Amazon most pay for prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlc95
12-23-2022, 01:52 AM
I like learning "systems", and the Rupes DA Fine is a really nice polish. It can get a little aggressive when needed and still leave a great finish.

My personal choices are 3D ONE, AAT502, ACA520, or Optimum Hyper Polish

04lss
12-23-2022, 04:20 PM
I decided to go with the sonax perfect finish, which they rate 4/6 for cut, and 6/6 for finish.I figure it should have more than enough cut for the paint, but finish pretty well. If im not happy with the finish,ill follow up with the car pro essence.
The plan is to try the Perfect finish on a rupes yellow pad, if it needs more cut, ill use a Griots orange pad.

DanaDetailingPros
12-23-2022, 11:27 PM
I decided to go with the sonax perfect finish, which they rate 4/6 for cut, and 6/6 for finish.I figure it should have more than enough cut for the paint, but finish pretty well. If im not happy with the finish,ill follow up with the car pro essence.
The plan is to try the Perfect finish on a rupes yellow pad, if it needs more cut, ill use a Griots orange pad.

Highest Gloss!!! From A Finishing Polish! - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPCjWW12pWk&t=2s)
Can't go wrong and the price is right!!

04lss
12-24-2022, 03:07 PM
Highest Gloss!!! From A Finishing Polish! - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPCjWW12pWk&t=2s)
Can't go wrong and the price is right!!

Its funny, i was between the sonax and Koch chemie polishes.

Game
02-10-2023, 03:02 PM
Having a PC 7424x, would this change your choice for a polish? Debating between Koch Chemie MC and Relect

noorth
02-10-2023, 03:22 PM
double post.

noorth
02-10-2023, 03:29 PM
Both should work fine IMO.

One thing i will say about reflect is Cory of carpro-us stated in one of his videos that reflect can struggle to finish on some soft paints. Just in case you plan on using it on other cars.

Paul A.
02-10-2023, 03:36 PM
Sonax initially offered products geared to rotary action machines. In my experience both Cut Max and Perfect Finish are even better with my rotary but work great on dual action machines as well.

Sonax later came out and either said their existing products also work with DA machines OR they changed up the formulations to work better with DA's. I can't remember.

Either way they work. I use Perfect Finish with my rotary and my Flex 3401.

Sorry 04lss, i have no extensive experience with Rupes products and pads. I will say though I've never had a VW with soft paint.

Epilogts
02-10-2023, 05:07 PM
VW paint is generally tough as nails, it’s a new car so I’d use those Rupes yellow pads with CarPro Essence. Essence finishes very well and serves double duty as being a polish/primer for coatings.