PDA

View Full Version : Overspray, and qouple other questions.

antekaudi
04-24-2008, 02:19 PM
First of all Hello everyone.
I hope to learn alot of new stuff from this very interesting forum :)

My car is 2005 audi a4 b6, DOLPHIN GRAY COLOR.

I have some OVERSPRAY on my sunroof and windows. It looks like bunch of small white dots.

I also have some swirl marks, I already read about this topic but i am uncertain when it comes to porter cable.

Here are my questions:

1) Is clay bar the best way to remove overspray ?
-What clay bar
- What detailing spray

2) Spend some money on porter cable and risk damaging the paint or try something that can be applied by hand and will hide some of the smaller swirls.

-What products will hide swirls marks, protect and make my paint shine ?
(no porter cable), I heard something about klasse AIO but i am not sure about it i need some expert advice.

-What kit do you guys recommend to fully detail exterior of the car with porter cable ?

3) If you guys can put some kits for me would be great. (w/ and w.o porter cable)

- What steps should i follow without porter cable and with porter cable.
- What towels, pads etc do i need ?

I HAVE ABOUT 300-400$ to spend.

Please help me make the right choice.

Thank you :)

makdaddy626
04-24-2008, 02:36 PM
1) Yes - I usually use the Meg's kit available over the counter, comes with QD, a mf towel, and 2 bars of clay.

2) There is almost no chance of paint damage with a PC!!! Not unless you do something really careless like letting the backing plate contact the paint.

a) If you want to hide swirls, I've heard that NXT 2.0 is good.

3) The new PC kit with new Wolfgang polishes looks pretty good to me - it's about 290.00 and has the PC, polishes, DGPS, and QD + plus the backing plate, an orange, white, and blue pad, and some towels.

Pick up a guzzler or 2 (I hear the new foam core guzzlers work well), a decent wash mitt, some good shampoo (My favorite is Optimum), some Surf City Beyond Black Tire Pro and Clearly Better Glass Cleaner, some ultra plush towels, some edgeless polishing towels, and some foam applicators and you'll be well on your way... oh yeah, some type of interior protectant (303, PB, DP, etc.)

Hmmm, what am I forgetting?

antekaudi
04-24-2008, 05:43 PM
THanks.

I was thinking about more aggressive clay bar for windows and less agressive one for the body.

Any one else wanna express their opinion about the kit and products ?

Thank you

antekaudi
04-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Anyone ?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Themightytimmah
04-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Do you know what kind of overspray it is? Some types can be removed with a solvent that will not harm clearcoat but will melt other types of paint. If you're unsure, a claybar will work but it takes a while.

Once you get the surface prepped and clayed, polish with your machine and polish of choice. If you've got 400 bucks to drop, consider getting spendy on a Flex 3401 over a PC. The Flex is the only DA machine with enough power to easily correct the hard Audi paint in reasonable time. Pick up the Wolfgang 3.0 twins and a good paint sealant and you'll be ready to rock.

If you get these two items and some clay, you'll be set for a *long* time.
The Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover Kit is the total solution to swirled, hazy paint. If you like the slick, glossy look of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-swirl-kit.html)
The FLEX Orbital Polisher,flex XC 3401VRG dual-action polisher,flex XC3401VRG,Dual Action polisher,polish out swirls,dual action buffer,DA (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-orbital-polisher.html)

Sort of OT, but I got my hands on this 4000 grit sandpaper that blows the doors off clay. Anyone else tried it? it takes the contamination off in seconds while leaving only minor marring that Ultrafina or P085rd remove easily.

antekaudi
04-26-2008, 11:20 AM
I was thinking of getting this kit:

Klasse All-In-One, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, Pinnacle Souveran, Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray Wax come together to create a forum favorite kit. (http://autogeek.net/forfavkit.html)

First clay then the kit.

What do you guys think ?

I dont wanna risk with buffer yet.

And i think its a primer overspray.

Thanks

antekaudi
04-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Ok i really need your help so i can finally buy everything i need.

Finally, a kit combining the best of both worlds--taking your vehicle to the highest achievable level of excellence- Pinnacle - Wolfgang Souveran Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/wg8001.html)

OR

Klasse All-In-One, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, Pinnacle Souveran, Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray Wax come together to create a forum favorite kit. (http://www.autogeek.net/forfavkit.html)

Is the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer as good as Klasse AIO ?

Can it also be applied on wheels and glass ?

Are these kits worth the money ?

I am looking to hide some swirls and make the paint shine (gray color)

Also is meguairs clay going to be good for removing overspray ?

Or should i get some clay kit from autogeek ?

The reason i am toward wolfgang kit is that i read klasse sealent i kinda hard to remove. And people prefer wolfgang sealent.

Which kit will be better to hide some small imperfections and get the most shine. ??

Thanks

EDIT:

Is the Pinnacle Souverän Paste Wax Worth the money ?

Will the Meguairs gold class shampoo and conditioner be fine with those kits ?

makdaddy626
04-29-2008, 02:20 PM
1. I'd go with the Pinnacle/WG kit just because Klasse SG can be a PITA to apply and remove.

2. WG PWPE is pretty much just a cleaner, I don't believe it leaves any protection like K-AIO does so it wouldn't be a good stand alone product on wheels and glass.

3. Yes, the kits are worth the money... depending on your own priorities and values. Does WG and Souveran look better than Megs NXT? yes, I think so, does it really look 4 - 5 times better, no way. For me it's about wanting to make a vehicle look the "best" I can within a certain budget (I'm not willing to pay the price of some "estate" waxes even if they did look better.

4. For hiding swirls check out some glazes, like the new PB offerings, or VMG, or, I hear that NXT 2.0 does a good job of hiding swirls.

5. Depends on the overspray... I've removed overspray with Megs kit before and also ran across some that it would barely touch.

antekaudi
04-29-2008, 02:40 PM
THANKS !!!!

What glaze do you recommend in addition to wolfgang kit ?

When do you apply glaze in which step. ?

Is the klasse AIO still worth getting for wheels or just get something designed for wheels ?

Am i going to need some more microfiber products etc ? If yes what else do i need ?

Thank you so much.

makdaddy626
04-29-2008, 03:12 PM
1.) According to the product descriptions, the PB glazes can be used under a sealant (many can't be as they'll interfere with bonding). So I would give one of them a try. I'll leave it up to your judgement whether to go with the one for light or dark colors.

2.) Glaze would come after any type of cleaner and before a sealant/wax.

3.) IMHO, Klasse is almost a must have... It's great on almost anything. I use it on wheels and glass all the time. Plus it's not bad as base coat for just wax if you ever want to skip sealants.

4.) You can never have to many towels... ;)

David Fermani
04-29-2008, 09:07 PM
I got my hands on this 4000 grit sandpaper that blows the doors off clay. Anyone else tried it? it takes the contamination off in seconds while leaving only minor marring that Ultrafina or P085rd remove easily.

SHUSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....................:D

Pyrocite
07-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Getting some sand paper now... <.<