PDA

View Full Version : When can I apply a Sealant over new paint?

Pages : [1] 2

XSR
12-12-2022, 05:22 PM
Hello,
Just had my bumper repainted and was wondering how long before I can put a coat of paint sealant. Would it be safe to use Sonax PNS+BSD?

glen e
12-12-2022, 05:24 PM
Ask the body shop that did the work. If they baked the paint on, you can apply almost immediately, if they didn’t bake it, , I would wait 90 days. But they will know.

opie
12-12-2022, 05:25 PM
Yep ask the body shop, if its not baked ive been told 30 days.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Bosko
12-12-2022, 05:31 PM
I've always been told 30 days...temps/humidity will play the biggest part in drying times...

2black1s
12-12-2022, 07:04 PM
Ask the body shop that did the work. If they baked the paint on, you can apply almost immediately, if they didn’t bake it, , I would wait 90 days. But they will know.

Yep ask the body shop, if its not baked ive been told 30 days.

This misconception of "baking" comes up over-and-over... And like I've mentioned more than once in other posts, your body shop DID NOT bake the paint.

Baking of paint is exclusive to the OEM and is not generally replicated in the refinishing world.

What is typically done in the refinishing world, and often loosely, and incorrectly, referred to as "baking", is a "force-drying" operation at temperatures around 140F. This results in a faster initial dry time that may aid in shop productivity. That's all it does. It has very little impact on the overall "cure" time.

So, my suggestion on waxing (or the like) is to wait the 30-60-90 days as recommended by the paint manufacturer.

PaulMys
12-12-2022, 07:15 PM
This misconception of "baking" comes up over-and-over... And like I've mentioned more than once in other posts, your body shop DID NOT bake the paint.

Baking of paint is exclusive to the OEM and is not generally replicated in the refinishing world.

What is typically done in the refinishing world, and often loosely, and incorrectly, referred to as "baking", is a "force-drying" operation at temperatures around 140F. This results in a faster initial dry time that may aid in shop productivity. That's all it does. It has very little impact on the overall "cure" time.

So, my suggestion on waxing (or the like) is to wait the 30-60-90 days as recommended by the paint manufacturer.

^^ This is why I never answer questions like the OP asked ^^

Because I have no damn clue. Lol

Nice post, John. Good info...... :)

luckydawg
12-12-2022, 07:32 PM
I have a personal friend who is a paint and body guy, been doing it for decades, he painted my Jeep
I asked him and he said to wait 30 days- I trust his judgement.

opie
12-12-2022, 07:45 PM
I have a personal friend who is a paint and body guy, been doing it for decades, he painted my Jeep
I asked him and he said to wait 30 days- I trust his judgement.Same.

opie
12-12-2022, 07:53 PM

So, my suggestion on waxing (or the like) is to wait the 30-60-90 days as recommended by the paint manufacturer.I have two good friends whom are both painters and both have told me 30days. Thanks for the lesson on the term though, rekon i missused the term.

PaulMys
12-12-2022, 08:10 PM
I have two good friends

Yeah, right.........:laughing::laughing::laughing:

J/K Opa-lopa-ding-dong........ :cheers:

glen e
12-12-2022, 09:28 PM
I think this is splitting hairs. My body shop for the last 15 years has been calling it “baking the paint”, whether it’s 140° or it’s 350, I don’t care. The outgassing is speed it up so that I can take the part home and polish it, or seal it immediately. I’ve had long conversations with my body shop about this, and if I’m doing a rattle cans at home, they tell me to wait 30 days so it can outgas. When I get something from them they have done some type of heat situation to it, and call it baking, and I can polish and seal it right away. I have done two bumpers, and a spoiler this way from them.

2black1s
12-12-2022, 11:05 PM
I think this is splitting hairs. My body shop for the last 15 years has been calling it “baking the paint”, whether it’s 140° or it’s 350, I don’t care. The outgassing is speed it up so that I can take the part home and polish it, or seal it immediately. I’ve had long conversations with my body shop about this, and if I’m doing a rattle cans at home, they tell me to wait 30 days so it can outgas. When I get something from them they have done some type of heat situation to it, and call it baking, and I can polish and seal it right away. I have done two bumpers, and a spoiler this way from them.

The point I'm trying to make is that paint that has been forced dried at 140F is not fully hardened. Certainly, it is harder than if it was air dried for the same amount of time, but is not the same as factory "baked" paint. Force drying accelerates the curing/hardening process by hours; not days, weeks, or months.

Factory baked paint is the only case where a "cure" period before waxing/sealing is not required. The paint is specifically formulated for the high-temp baking process and is fully hardened at its conclusion. It is not the same paint formulation as that used in the refinishing industry.

There is no paint manufacturer that I am aware of that will recommend waxing/sealing new paint immediately after a force-dry process. They still recommend a wait period.

Here's a label from a typical automotive finish I had out in the garage. While it is from an older product (Centari Acrylic Enamel/Urethane), the basic premise has not changed. Note the "FORCE DRYING" line and the "WAXING" line (last & 4th from last lines). There is no indication that the waxing wait period is waived due to the force drying.

DUBL0WS6
12-12-2022, 11:53 PM
I've always heard about 30 days. The only product I know of that claims it can be put on fresh paint is Zaino.

They do have some instant cure paints that cure by UV light. Pretty cool technology.

2black1s
12-13-2022, 12:03 AM
I've always heard about 30 days. The only product I know of that claims it can be put on fresh paint is Zaino.

They do have some instant cure paints that cure by UV light. Pretty cool technology.

I've heard of the new UV technology, but I don't know any details. It's a fairly recent leap. Could be a real game-changer.

Rod73
12-15-2022, 05:08 AM
Hello,
Just had my bumper repainted and was wondering how long before I can put a coat of paint sealant. Would it be safe to use Sonax PNS+BSD?

Assuming it is a reputable and quality auto bodyshop, the most common time given is 30 days. With that said I would strongly urge you to ask the manager of the bodyshop. No one really knows better than they do; there are numerous factors that can affect the time scale. I have been told 14 days and another time 30 days from the same shop for the same repair. I have seen a lot of 30 day times. One shop manager told a friend 90 days.

So yes the shop should have the most reliable feedback.