PDA

View Full Version : IT'S OBVIOUS FLEX DOESN'T WANT YOU TO USE ROTARY???

Pages : [1] 2 3

DanaDetailingPros
12-09-2022, 03:47 PM
I very rarely need to use my rotary. And even recently the BEAST out performed my LH19E by a long shot! But whenever I have used my 2" mini I only use it in rotary and it makes quick work on everything I've used it for. So I just received my new PXE yesterday and was really disappointed A: no 2"inch backing plate and B: It's obvious it wasn't intended to be used in rotary on anything other than a 1". So I ended up spending another $150 on the APS 2" and COATIC 3" along with the QD extension and rotary bit.
I know everyone who owns the PXE knows why. I'm hoping to save going through all the old threads and just ask?

Flash Gordon
12-10-2022, 04:09 AM
That's funny. I use a flex rotary everyday that I work.

DanaDetailingPros
12-10-2022, 05:55 AM
That's funny. I use a flex rotary everyday that I work.

I'm also going to with APS Accessories! not 2 or 3 inch by flex though. They have it so it only works on the 1" I'm sure you know what I was referring to when I started this thread. I just was hoping to hear why they did that?

Flash Gordon
12-10-2022, 06:41 AM
I'm also going to with APS Accessories! not 2 or 3 inch by flex though. They have it so it only works on the 1" I'm sure you know what I was referring to when I started this thread. I just was hoping to hear why they did that?

Actually I didnt. I'm not big on all of the abbreviations. What is a APS?

I HIGHLY recommend that you don't polish with a rotary using a 1" pad.

DanaDetailingPros
12-10-2022, 07:06 AM
Your a vampire like me. Glad someone's up:)
It's the name of the brand.(APS) And you just might like getting an extension and the backing plates.
Brand: Flex Power Tools | CARZILLA (https://carzilla.ca/collections/brand-flex)
I'm curious why you don't use rotary in 1" when it's really the only one the want you to?
FLEX PXE80 review: how to get the most from your machine - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXC8kADcNfU)

John U
12-10-2022, 09:05 AM
Nice 2” plate from Carzilla.

Before anyone made a 2”, I purchased a 3” Flex plate. With the Pixie on high, used a Stanley Surform to “turn” it down to 2”.

DanaDetailingPros
12-10-2022, 10:20 AM
Nice 2” plate from Carzilla.

Before anyone made a 2”, I purchased a 3” Flex plate. With the Pixie on high, used a Stanley Surform to “turn” it down to 2”.

Your a vampire like me. Glad someone's up:)
It's the name of the brand.(APS) And you just might like getting an extension and the backing plates.
Brand: Flex Power Tools | CARZILLA (https://carzilla.ca/collections/brand-flex)
I'm curious why you don't use rotary in 1" when it's really the only one the want you to?
FLEX PXE80 review: how to get the most from your machine - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXC8kADcNfU)
Might as well be the price as the iBird after getting all of the accessories.

Flash Gordon
12-10-2022, 08:20 PM

The 1" pad will spin many more times per minute then a larger pad (spinning creates heat). Combine that with the circular rotation (rotary) and that is a recipe for disaster (heat burns paint/heat also corrects defects).
If you use the 1" pad don't hold the machine in the same spot for more then a few seconds. Touch the panel occasionally and see how hot it is before proceeding.

Someone else can probably explain this better.

oneheadlite
12-10-2022, 10:07 PM
Actually it’s the opposite regarding pad speed and diameter - the outer edge of a smaller pad on a rotary is spinning slower than a larger diameter pad with the machine on the same speed setting.

Had to do some googling to find a better explanation than I could do:
https://www.#############.org/guides/calculate-rpm-changing-pads/amp/

(Edit: not sure why it’s getting edited out - the hashtag’d out site is “detailing wi ki” with no space between)

Flash:Just trying to understand your position- are you saying less pad makes for less heat dissipation?

Edit 2: Side note: can totally see keeping tabs on surface temp when doing small rotary work as you’re likely working on sensitive surfaces like bumper covers, mirrors, and pillar trims where you don’t want to cause the paint to lift/burn.

Flash Gordon
12-10-2022, 10:24 PM
Actually it’s the opposite regarding pad speed and diameter - the outer edge of a smaller pad on a rotary is spinning slower than a larger diameter pad with the machine on the same speed setting.

(Edit: not sure why it’s getting edited out - the hashtag’d out site is “detailing wi ki” with no space between)

Flash:Just trying to understand your position- are you saying less pad makes for less heat dissipation?

Edit 2: Side note: can totally see keeping tabs on surface temp when doing small rotary work as you’re likely working on sensitive surfaces like bumper covers, mirrors, and pillar trims where you don’t want to cause the paint to lift/burn.

I'm not a rocket surgeon, but it would appear to me that the more an object spins the hotter it will get. I could definitely be wrong about this. Can we test on the hood of your car??

oneheadlite
12-10-2022, 10:41 PM
I'm not a rocket surgeon, but it would appear to me that the more an object spins the hotter it will get. I could definitely be wrong about this. Can we test on the hood of your car??

Your speed setting on the tool dictates the RPM, so at the same speed setting your pads (big or small) are turning the same RPM. The difference is the outer edge of the larger pad pad is covering more distance per revolution, thus traveling at a higher speed. Higher speed, more friction, more heat.

Flash Gordon
12-10-2022, 10:48 PM
Your speed setting on the tool dictates the RPM, so at the same speed setting your pads (big or small) are turning the same RPM. The difference is the outer edge of the larger pad pad is covering more distance per revolution, thus traveling at a higher speed. Higher speed, more friction, more heat.

Very good. Thanks for the explanation

2black1s
12-10-2022, 11:11 PM
The 1" pad will spin many more times per minute then a larger pad (spinning creates heat). Combine that with the circular rotation (rotary) and that is a recipe for disaster (heat burns paint/heat also corrects defects).
If you use the 1" pad don't hold the machine in the same spot for more then a few seconds. Touch the panel occasionally and see how hot it is before proceeding.

Someone else can probably explain this better.

I agree with oneheadlite... A smaller pad is moving at a slower speed than a larger pad at the same RPM. Regardless of pad size, RPM is RPM. The difference in speed is a result of the circumference of the pad.

Example:
- A 1" pad is traveling at 3.14 inches per revolution at its outer edge
- A 2" pad is traveling at 6.28...
- A 3" pad is traveling at 9.42...
- And so on.

From this example, you can see that in a single revolution a 3" pad is moving across the surface at a speed 3x greater than the 1" pad at their respective outer edges.

So, it's not the speed that creates the concerning heat when using a small pad...

It is rather whatever pressure is applied.

Example:
- If you apply 5 lbs. of pressure to the polisher with a 1" pad you end up with a force of 6.4 PSI at the surface
- If you apply 5 lbs. of pressure to the polisher with a 3" pad you end up with a force of 0.7 PSI at the surface

This is because a 3" pad has nearly 10x the area of a 1" pad (1" circle has an area of 0.78 in sq / 3" circle has an area
of 7.06 in sq)

In conclusion, it's not the speed you need to be concerned with when using a smaller pad. It is rather the pressure you apply. The smaller the pad, the less pressure you should apply to the polisher because the resulting force at the surface becomes exponentially higher as the pad size decreases. Additionally, you can actually up the RPMs of the polisher as the pad speed is actually quite low with small diameter pads.

EDIT: You guys already figured it out on the speed while I was doing my calculations and writing this post. But I believe my pressure description is still applicable.

DanaDetailingPros
12-10-2022, 11:23 PM
7609376094Great input everyone! But still no one has answered why Flex doesn’t want you to use the rotary adapter on 2 or 3 inch???
Only one inch has the hole to let the adapter screw down to the backing plate. If you own one you know exactly what I’m referring to. But for people that are wondering what the hell im referring to. Just looks at the rotary bit out of the three orbit combinations it comes with. The rotary has a pin directly in the middle which makes it so the 2 and 3 inch backing plates will not mate!!!

Flash Gordon
12-10-2022, 11:41 PM
I agree with oneheadlite... A smaller pad is moving at a slower speed than a larger pad at the same RPM. Regardless of pad size, RPM is RPM. The difference in speed is a result of the circumference of the pad.

Example:
- A 1" pad is traveling at 3.14 inches per revolution at its outer edge
- A 2" pad is traveling at 6.28...
- A 3" pad is traveling at 9.42...
- And so on.

From this example, you can see that in a single revolution a 3" pad is moving across the surface at a speed 3x greater than the 1" pad at their respective outer edges.

So, it's not the speed that creates the concerning heat when using a small pad...

It is rather whatever pressure is applied.

Example:
- If you apply 5 lbs. of pressure to the polisher with a 1" pad you end up with a force of 6.4 PSI at the surface
- If you apply 5 lbs. of pressure to the polisher with a 3" pad you end up with a force of 0.7 PSI at the surface

This is because a 3" pad has nearly 10x the area of a 1" pad (1" circle has an area of 0.78 in sq / 3" circle has an area
of 7.06 in sq)

In conclusion, it's not the speed you need to be concerned with when using a smaller pad. It is rather the pressure you apply. The smaller the pad, the less pressure you should apply to the polisher because the resulting force at the surface becomes exponentially higher as the pad size decreases. Additionally, you can actually up the RPMs of the polisher as the pad speed is actually quite low with small diameter pads.

EDIT: You guys already figured it out on the speed while I was doing my calculations and writing this post. But I believe my pressure description is still applicable.

Thanks for taking the time to do all of those calculations and explaining so well that even a dummy like me can comprehend.