PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Garage Paint Color

Pages : [1] 2

nmatthew
12-08-2022, 08:51 AM
I’m planning to paint my garage which i use to detail cars. Its quite small around 5 by 5 meters or 16x16 ft.

Currently its painted full white and needs a repaint. What color do you think should I go with?

Should I go black? Light grey? Or go with full white again?

Does a prticular color have a significant effect on my detailing process?
Some said black would help in looking for scratches around the paint..

chilly
12-08-2022, 10:13 AM
Subbed...

I am curious as well

I see some of these high zoot shops with black everything and the honeycomb ceiling lights and I have to wonder WTH

That honeycomb light reflection on hoods and roofs drives me nuts

Rupes comes to mind, I have seen a number of their videos filmed in an all black detailing shop, but then you see someone like Jim White/White Details, and it is white walls and ceiling and a light gray floor

Personally I am going all semi gloss white for walls and ceiling

Bosko
12-08-2022, 10:29 AM
If you paint all bright white light you in turn get a free(light) soft box that surrounds the car

When I photographed cars in studio I had to basically recreate what an all white garage would already do...

https://i.imgur.com/tfUfina.png

chilly
12-08-2022, 10:44 AM
If you paint all bright white light you in turn get a free(light) soft box that surrounds the car

When I photographed cars in studio I had to basically recreate what an all white garage would already do...

https://i.imgur.com/tfUfina.png

That was my thought exactly

Flash Gordon
12-08-2022, 12:57 PM
In Europe it's popular to paint everything black. If I were going to choose white or black I would go with black.

oneheadlite
12-08-2022, 01:32 PM
I think the idea of the darker colors is to allow you to be in full control of the light source/direction/reflection. With the lighter colors they're bouncing the light and can work to wash out the area you're working on.

At least that's my understanding from when this topic's come up.

While I get the theory behind it, for my garage when I get to it I'm going to stick with lighter everything to make it a brighter more pleasant space to work in 98% of the time. Then, if it really gets down to the nitty gritty just cut the lights and bring out your mobile light source. (I've got the DIY LED light stand setup buried somewhere in the forum here).

chilly
12-08-2022, 01:43 PM
I think the idea of the darker colors is to allow you to be in full control of the light source/direction/reflection. With the lighter colors they're bouncing the light and can work to wash out the area you're working on.

At least that's my understanding from when this topic's come up.

While I get the theory behind it, for my garage when I get to it I'm going to stick with lighter everything to make it a brighter more pleasant space to work in 98% of the time. Then, if it really gets down to the nitty gritty just cut the lights and bring out your mobile light source. (I've got the DIY LED light stand setup buried somewhere in the forum here).

I guess I get it but like you say, you do other stuff in a garage

I’m not going to work on my bikes in a black cave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bosko
12-08-2022, 01:45 PM
Black is a bad idea for just such reason....you can alter white to go black (absents of light source), you can't go the other way......

"Understanding gray scales"

Sure.......you can add a light source to black....Ill guarantee it will become a hassle real fast for side lighting...tripping over light stands

2black1s
12-08-2022, 01:47 PM
If I had a dedicated polishing room that was used for nothing but, I'd paint it a low-sheen black.

Otherwise, if it was more of a multi-use area, I'd opt for a lighter nuetral color.

Flash Gordon
12-08-2022, 02:31 PM
Black is a bad idea for just such reason....you can alter white to go black (absents of light source), you can't go the other way......

"Understanding gray scales"

Sure.......you can add a light source to black....Ill guarantee it will become a hassle real fast for side lighting...tripping over light stands

But it sure looks cool ��.

I never work in a garage anyway so I really have no dog in this hunt

Bosko
12-08-2022, 03:09 PM
If I had to build one, I would go with a set up like this....personal preference..

Each bulb would be switchable for total control

https://i.imgur.com/Jc7I063.png

chilly
12-08-2022, 03:33 PM
If I had to build one, I would go with a set up like this....personal preference..

Each bulb would be switchable for total control

https://i.imgur.com/Jc7I063.png

Dream setup

Bosko
12-08-2022, 03:34 PM
Dream setup

Of course a titty bar would be on the other side of that door:xyxthumbs:

chilly
12-08-2022, 03:36 PM
Of course a titty bar would be on the other side of that door:xyxthumbs:

I’m thinking the boss might object to that

PaulMys
12-08-2022, 06:16 PM
I’m thinking the boss might object to that

Buy an Ariens Kraken to take her mind off of it...... ;)