PDA

View Full Version : Distilled : Waterless/Rinseless

Pages : [1] 2

chefwong
12-07-2022, 05:56 PM
Never been a fan of RW/WW.
I do use WW with distilled water for the jambs and such

Cars are fully PPF and I am LOVING doing WW wipedowns these days.
Never did WW on *raw paint panels*, but PPF, I don't fear micro micro marring........

I've been doing it with distilled water. It's not alot of $$$$
Since I am doing full panels and not just *jambs*, would you say it's a waste, use the faucet water and just make sure you wipe dry.....
Full Panels = PPF as a noted detail

PaulMys
12-07-2022, 06:04 PM
You mix your own waterless?

chefwong
12-07-2022, 06:09 PM
N914 ? Am I mis-reading your reply PMys

PaulMys
12-07-2022, 06:39 PM
N914 ? Am I mis-reading your reply PMys

Gotcha, I should have asked what product you were using.

I mix up WG Uber as a RW and WW with distilled water.

I guess if you only used it for door jambs, it wouldn't make a difference.

Eldorado2k
12-07-2022, 07:54 PM
I wouldn’t say it’s a waste… In a perfect world, I’d always use distilled water to dilute my waterless wash, but for me the biggest thing that prevents that is that I don’t always have gallons of distilled water readily available here at home. Ideally I’d have several gallons on deck but then I’d have to set aside the space to store them, which I don’t exactly have.

But when it comes to diluting my new unopened gallon of Hyper Dressing @ 1:1 I will make sure to use distilled water.

PaulMys
12-07-2022, 08:30 PM
Also, and as a substitute, one could use the filtered water that is dispensed from your refrigerator meant for drinking.

If it's good enough to drink, it's good enough to RW or for WW.

Well, maybe not for everyone......... ;)

briarpatch
12-07-2022, 09:06 PM
Also, and as a substitute, one could use the filtered water that is dispensed from your refrigerator meant for drinking.

You could also use water captured by a dehumidifier

PaulMys
12-07-2022, 09:23 PM
You could also use water captured by a dehumidifier

^^^ Now this is a thinking man's post.....^^^

briarpatch
12-07-2022, 10:04 PM
^^^ Now this is a thinking man's post.....^^^

Can not take credit for that one....saw it on another forum.....have a dehumidifier in the basement

2black1s
12-08-2022, 12:44 AM

Not necessarily Paul... Unless the filtered water is from a Reverse Osmosis system. Standard filters only remove sediment and chemicals from the water so while it is safe to drink, the dissolved minerals, which are the real concern here, still remain.

Coatingsarecrack
12-08-2022, 12:54 AM
I have gone away from distilled for rinseless wash. ONR and N-914 have water softeners in them and I have had no issues with waterspots when using n-914.

With a waterless as it will sit around I may use distilled if I have it but not a big deal.

I think really it depends on how hard your water is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glen e
12-08-2022, 01:24 AM
If I’m mixing up a bucket of rinseless, I don’t use distilled, however when I’m mixing up my elixir, I use distilled.

PaulMys
12-08-2022, 05:43 PM
Not necessarily Paul... Unless the filtered water is from a Reverse Osmosis system. Standard filters only remove sediment and chemicals from the water so while it is safe to drink, the dissolved minerals, which are the real concern here, still remain.

You're right, John.

Hence my caveat at the end.

Myself, I have zero problems with spotting just using my good ol' hose water.

oneheadlite
12-09-2022, 10:13 AM
For me, using distilled water for dilution is more a product of time:

If it's something I'm going to use up right away, then I'll use plain tap water. If I'm doing a rinseless, the product will be on the paint for so little time I'm not worried about the minerals.

But, if I'm mixing a batch of Rinseless that I'm going to use for the multi-media wash process (read: the wash media never returns to the source bucket), then I used distilled to lessen the chance stuff's going to grow in there and get funky. Same goes for any product that gets mixed for long term use (any variety of products for interior, glass, drying aid, or otherwise).

chefwong
12-09-2022, 10:26 AM
Off topic or on topic. While I don't care -as much- as the various APC dilution rates I have (4 different), even with N914 + distilled. I basically mix it up in a 1G bottle -dispense into hand sprayer and compression sprayer- as needed. Even distilled and N914 and let's just say if it sits, I've noticed cogaulation - white bits appear.