PDA

View Full Version : I'm DUMBFOUNDED! A FLEX 3401 vs. Rupes LH19 Rotary.

Pages : [1] 2 3

DanaDetailingPros
12-04-2022, 06:52 PM
Went to a regular clients today for a roof only job for a Christmas gift for her roommate. I already had a pretty good idea what shape the roof was in. She had sent pictures and described the rest of the car was fine. After a good decon I went straight to a blue Rupes foam with the 3401 and 3D ACA 510 After a small test area I felt It was definitely going to need the rotary! I first tried a Blue wool/Corse w/same compound. And it didn't produce as good of results as the BEAST! HUM..... OK I then went for the old school wool w/same compound. Still not the results I got from the Beast! Now I am really DUMBFOUNDED!!!! So I went back to the BEAST and the blue Ruped pad and just finished off with very nice results. But WTH I even laid into it with the wool pretty good! Not just flat either! So it took 4 good long slow passes to clean it up! I was hoping the rotary (1 good pass) and finish up with the 3401.

dlc95
12-04-2022, 06:58 PM
Very interesting.

Sometimes these things happen.

I consistently out cut the 3401 with my Porter Cable. The only reason I could come up with was my familiarity with it. That's for heavy correction though. The 3401 works great for me with one steps or cleaner wax jobs - even though I typically use the 7424xp or the Rupes Duetto.

How did you like that blue pad with the 3D?

Flash Gordon
12-04-2022, 07:52 PM
Nice job. Your already getting pro results

DanaDetailingPros
12-04-2022, 08:51 PM
Very interesting.

I consistently out cut the 3401 with my Porter Cable. The only reason I could come up with was my familiarity with it. That's for heavy correction though. The 3401 works great for me with one steps or cleaner wax jobs - even though I typically use the 7424xp or the Rupes Duetto.

That Pad is a work horse. I'm pretty stingy with my HDO CCS Blue's But I tried 205/Cuttmax and Fast correcting cream and the ACA 510 was the strongest musket:)
But I'm almost embarrassed to say how long it took. 3.5 hours but that included decon/Bilt H. then Slick N Slide foam C. and wipe down dusting a bit. She gave me a nice 50% tip though.

DanaDetailingPros
12-04-2022, 08:53 PM

That Pad is a work horse. I'm pretty stingy with my HDO CCS Blue's But I tried 205/Cuttmax and Fast correcting cream and the ACA 510 was the strongest musket:)

That's very nice of you to say:)

dlc95
12-05-2022, 09:03 AM
But I'm almost embarrassed to say how long it took. 3.5 hours but that included decon/Bilt H. then Slick N Slide foam C. and wipe down dusting a bit. She gave me a nice 50% tip though.

I was VERY impressed with how fast the DA Coarse with the blue coarse rupes wool pad leveled the paint. I was also impressed with the amount of dust it produced - would have been perfect if that's what I was going after - dust!

But my muskets of choice are indeed the 3D offerings. As of today it's the ACA500. I do plan on picking up the Rupes pads again at some point, but this time I'm going to use them with my 3D abrasives.

I don't know why I didn't do that before...

DanaDetailingPros
12-05-2022, 12:12 PM
Very interesting.

I was VERY impressed with how fast the DA Coarse with the blue coarse rupes wool pad leveled the paint. I was also impressed with the amount of dust it produced - would have been perfect if that's what I was going after - dust!

But my muskets of choice are indeed the 3D offerings. As of today it's the ACA500. I do plan on picking up the Rupes pads again at some point, but this time I'm going to use them with my 3D abrasives.

I don't know why I didn't do that before...

Yea I'm just fortunate you guy's all steered me with the GOODS! I'm almost out of 3D One 16oz and will most likely grab a gallon. As for the Cuttmax and 205 I'm sure they will have there day. Just not on such a brutal job! Only one I didn't grab was the Menzerna 400.

dlc95
12-05-2022, 05:40 PM
Yea I'm just fortunate you guy's all steered me with the GOODS! I'm almost out of 3D One 16oz and will most likely grab a gallon. As for the Cuttmax and 205 I'm sure they will have there day. Just not on such a brutal job! Only one I didn't grab was the Menzerna 400.

If you already have the Cutmax, you can skip the Menzerna 400. I liked the sonax Ultimate Cut and Cut & Finish more than I liked the Menzerna.

The 400 has a very strong solvent that gives me a really bad headache. That is the main reason I tend to use 3D and Optimum polishes and compounds.

The 3D ONE covers so many bases for me though. I find it fun to use. Makes me look forward to going to work!

dlc95
12-05-2022, 05:40 PM

If you already have the Cutmax, you can skip the Menzerna 400. I liked the sonax Ultimate Cut and Cut & Finish more than I liked the Menzerna.

The 400 has a very strong solvent that gives me a really bad headache. That is the main reason I tend to use 3D and Optimum polishes and compounds.

The 3D ONE covers so many bases for me though. I find it fun to use. Makes me look forward to going to work!

SameGuy
12-05-2022, 06:56 PM

The 3D ONE covers so many bases for me though. I find it fun to use. Makes me look forward to going to work!Thanks for the glowing review, I’m sold. FG400 has long been my go-to first step for moderate to heavy correction, and yes, the VOCs are… noticeable :laughing:. I’ve used Speed a few times for quickie once-and-dones, but it never caught my attention like D151 Reconditioning Cream did a decade ago, or — even more strikingly — the DAMF system on a PC did after years of cursing the “old ways.”

luckydawg
12-05-2022, 07:35 PM
That rupes blue is a HEAVY cutter for me, doesnt get much use here though.

DanaDetailingPros
12-05-2022, 08:55 PM
I'm weighing whether just getting a 3D ONE gallon and been done with it! Or 32oz and speaking of speed! Now that to me is pure joy to use. I can dam near blow it off when it's dried. Nice a$$ results also!
I swear resupplying product to me is like buying new underwear. NO GLAMOUR:(
I just saw the prices. It's really a no brainier if your using almost 32oz a month. $50 for 32oz and $150 gallon. So basically buy 3 get 1 free!

dlc95
12-06-2022, 12:32 AM
I'm weighing whether just getting a 3D ONE gallon and been done with it! Or 32oz and speaking of speed! Now that to me is pure joy to use. I can dam near blow when is dried. Nice a$$ results also!
I swear resupplying product to me is like buying new underwear. NO GLAMOUR:(
I just saw the prices. It's really a no brainer if your using almost 32oz a month. $50 for 32 and $150 gallon. So basically buy 3 get 1 free!

Nice breakdown!

Right now, my volume is good with just the 32oz bottles. Hope it changes though!

I do use it at work too. Right now I bring my own, but I'm going to have the boss order me a bottle or two.

I have the 65 Oz jugs of the Optimun polishes. I didn't realize how little you use of their products. Probably going to off them. I use 3D more often anyways.

Flash Gordon
12-06-2022, 01:35 AM
Prices won't be going down anytime soon. I would order the gallon if you can swing it. Justify by telling yourself your hedging against inflation

DanaDetailingPros
12-06-2022, 03:51 AM
Nice breakdown!

Right now, my volume is good with just the 32oz bottles. Hope it changes though!

I do use it at work too. Right now I bring my own, but I'm going to have the boss order me a bottle or two.

I have the 65 Oz jugs of the Optimun polishes. I didn't realize how little you use of their products. Probably going to off them. I use 3D more often anyways.

Prices won't be going down anytime soon. I would order the gallon if you can swing it. Justify by telling yourself your hedging against inflation

He should get you a bottle! Your not in the charity business at work:)