PDA

View Full Version : Best kit for my needs?

08diesel
04-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Ok, I have been looking at buying a PC kit from Auto Geek for awhile, but I'm lost in the sauce:confused:. I'm new to auto detailing and I'm having a hard time choosing which kit to buy. I have new '08 sierra which is 4 months old its stealth grey in color (in between dark and light in color) and a '06 CRV thats maroon in color. The CRV has light scratches and spider web effect that I would like to repair and the Sierra is fine but would like to protect it. Both vehicles stay outside all the time and living by the freeway here in California will take its toll on the vehicle's. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I have never used a buffer i know that wax is best applied in shade with clean cool surface ant thats about all I know. Thanks for your time and patience ladies and gents.

Feed back please

makdaddy626
04-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Have a budget in mind? Are you wanting buffer and pads, or buffer, pads, polishes?

dublifecrisis
04-24-2008, 09:09 AM
If you can swing it, I would suggest the PC kit with the Optimum products. You can use the Opt Polish, followed by Poli-seal on the CRV and just start right with the Poli-seal on the new ride. If you want to step up the gloss/protection add Optimum Opti-seal and Opt Car wax for a few extra bucks. Either route make sure your actual car washing regimen/supplies are taken care of.

and don't forget to get a few extra pads and Microfiber towels. You should be able to cover any/all of these options for $250-350.

I'm rather new to this too but that's my .02

BygDaddy
04-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Here is what I did for a 4 yr old minivan with some minor swirls and a new car.
Klasse all in one, followed by Wolfgang sealant. I am very happy with the results, the swirls are gone, they have good protection and shine like crazy!

08diesel
04-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Have a budget in mind? Are you wanting buffer and pads, or buffer, pads, polishes?

I forgot to add that I don't really want to go over the 250 price range but if i have to then I will. but looking to avoid it. And if I can get a complete kit with pads, buffer, polish and maybe a little something extra that will be of use then that would be great. Thanks again for the pointers.

08diesel
04-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Thanks Dubli for the .02 they are welcomed.

makdaddy626
04-24-2008, 01:43 PM
If you can handle the price, the new WG 3.0 polishes are great and with this kit you get the WG Deep Gloss Paint Sealant as well

Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424 Swirl-Free Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-porter-cable-swirl-remover.html)

Jimmie
04-24-2008, 04:16 PM
If you can handle the price, the new WG 3.0 polishes are great and with this kit you get the WG Deep Gloss Paint Sealant as well

Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424 Swirl-Free Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-porter-cable-swirl-remover.html)

:iagree: that's a good one. Must be fairly new.

ScottB
04-24-2008, 05:47 PM
look to the Poorboys Kit, with buffer. Everything included is easy to use and works great together. Add some soap and you are seriously set for a year !

08diesel
04-25-2008, 04:01 AM
Thanks Gent's (and lady's if it applies to any one) I really appreciate the info, you have no clue how much this helps to make my choice. Even after reading many posts it is still hard to figure out which one is good but this really helps. Thanks again to everyone that had given there input. If there is more out there don't be shy please give your .02 it helps.
Feed back please

08diesel
04-25-2008, 04:03 AM
Is it worth getting the HD PC. I noticed its a option in many of the kits? Any benefits that anybody knows of. besides the longer cord?

LaTuFu
04-25-2008, 04:13 AM
My take on it (as another "not new to detailing, new to the high end products") is that even within this site, there is a staggering array of options you can choose.

Go with the kit that best suits your needs and gives you the best feeling of value for your dollar.

I really don't think you'll go wrong with any of them. Try them out, then come back over time and order other products to try for comparison, or keep going with your original kit if you're satisfied with your results.

94LT1
04-25-2008, 07:10 AM
look to the Poorboys Kit, with buffer. Everything included is easy to use and works great together. Add some soap and you are seriously set for a year !
x2
all i would suggest is some Car wash soap and probably order some 1 extra white & black pad.and maybe a few MF towels.u can get the car wash soap and towels anywhere.

ScottB
04-25-2008, 06:35 PM
HD PC is purely personal taste ... I use original with extension cord.

gotgone
04-27-2008, 08:45 PM
I just got the Poorboys kit last week. I ordered extra orange and white pads in the 5.5in size. I have spent the last couple days polishing a black miata. I had scratches and swirls also. The SSR 2.5 and orange pad got rid of the swirls and most of the scratches. Still working on a few of them. I ordered the yellow 5.5 pads on the 24th It seems like I have gotten all the scratches that I can with the orange pads. Gonna seal it with Duragloss 601 followed by their 105.