PDA

View Full Version : Headlight restoration in North East Ohio (Christmas Help Needed)

Pages : [1] 2

Don M
12-02-2022, 02:22 PM
I few years ago, there was someone on here in NE Ohio that did headlight restoration. I PM'ed them a few times, but have since lost their user info.

My brother has a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado and has mentioned to me that his headlights are getting dim from the plastic lenses getting murky. He knows I'm a detailer and though maybe I could do it for him.

While I know the steps you are supposed to take and the mechanics of the process, I've never done it myself and don't want to screw up his lights. So I would rather just pay someone else to do it.

He LOVES giving for Christmas, but HATES IT when anyone gets him anything, so he NEVER says that he "likes" anything, so usually he'll get a few 'gag' gifts from me and his other brother - just so WE feel better and got him SOMETHING for Christmas.

So him telling me (in a very round about way, by mentioning his lights were sub-par, without saying he would like to have them "fixed") that THIS would be the PERFECT Christmas present to him.

GETTING his truck to have the work done is the easy part - he has absolutely no issues loaning it to me for several hours / or even a day if I need a truck for something.

Here's where I need the help, in FINDING either the Forum Member I spoke with before (if they still do headlights) or someone else in the area who can/will do it so I can give him an appreciated Christmas present.

ANY help or leads would be greatly appreciated!!

Flash Gordon
12-02-2022, 05:26 PM
Don,
I'm confident that you could do this yourself. The plastic is SUPER thick (jist keep the polisher moving).

TTQ B4U
12-02-2022, 05:38 PM
You can do it Don. I'll message you from Facebook or you're welcome to call my cell. I may be up in the area soon and would be happy to help too. I'll keep you posted.

Honestly, one of the best "kits" is the CERAKOTE Ceramic Headlight Restoration Kit. You can get them at Wally World even for about $16. The wipe on sealant works really well.

SameGuy
12-02-2022, 05:56 PM
What they said. You can do it!

PaulMys
12-02-2022, 06:16 PM
You won't screw them up, Don.

If you can polish paint, headlights will be easier than that girl in HS who hung out in the student parking lot all day.

Or was that just my HS?? :laughing:

Either way, you can DO it!!

bill walsh
12-02-2022, 06:51 PM
hit dislike by accident sorry

Flash Gordon
12-02-2022, 06:57 PM
hit dislike by accident sorry

Sure it was an accident. It's ok to hit Dislike occasionally. It's very exhilarating :laughing:

PaulMys
12-02-2022, 07:49 PM
Sure it was an accident. It's ok to hit Dislike occasionally. It's very exhilarating :laughing:

I disagree.

I think the "dislike" is the cowardly way out.

If you disagree with a post, it should be quoted and accompanied with a counterpoint.

:)

MisterSnoop
12-02-2022, 08:21 PM
I disagree.

I think the "dislike" is the cowardly way out.

If you disagree with a post, it should be quoted and accompanied with a counterpoint.

:)

No counterpoint. Just felt like it. :p:p

PaulMys
12-02-2022, 08:44 PM
No counterpoint. Just felt like it. :p:p

LMAO!

Flash Gordon
12-02-2022, 09:04 PM
Patience grasshopper. Good things come to those who wait...

bbmach
12-02-2022, 09:19 PM
+25 for doing it yourself. There are a few different ways to go about it, from the CERAKOTE type kits mentioned above, to going after them with a normal compound and DA, or specific headlight polish from 3M or Mothers or Chemical Guys. You only need to wet sand if they are really bad. Just tape up the surrounding paint well.
And you could always post pics here as you work through it if advice is needed, but I am confident once you get going, you'll be more than fine.

SameGuy
12-02-2022, 09:52 PM
I’d definitely recommend the wet sanding/acrylic clear coat route over compounding and sealing, every day of the week. It’s like a full hair transplant compared to a toupée.

Don M
12-03-2022, 03:37 PM
Thank you all for your supportive posts and confidence in my abilities (doing it this way is a lot easier than going to each and every post and clicking a 'like' or 'thanks' ... or even the occasional 'dislike' LOL). However *I* don't have the same confidence in me that you all (or y'all) do, not even close.

This project is for my (48 year old) 'baby' brother who, despite me being a real turd to growing up, has done a LOT for me when I was in financial dire straits - more than I could ever repay. I've been listening to my gut A LOT lately, and my gut is telling me that THIS is the year to do something that he wouldn't even do for himself, and would NEVER expect someone else to do for him. He would just continue to drive around with sub-performing headlights, and just figure "That's just the way it is." But the fact that he even said anything about it, is a flashing neon sign for me that THIS is what I should do as a token gesture of my appreciation for what he's done for me. And I want it to be perfect.

So after a lot of thought on the pro's and con's of restoration VS replacement (and a bunch of internet research), I've decided to take the coward's way out. Brand New lights housings for his truck, run between $80 and $120. Something I *can* afford, even with my 'not working, but not yet getting my retirement check' financials.

I also called the shop that correctly diagnosed my Camaro and asked if he could work up a price to get the new light housings and install them with all new, 'better than stock,' aftermarket bulbs. That way, I can be sure the right housings are ordered, the right bulbs are ordered and everything is installed correctly - the first time. The shop owner also has the truck's VIN, so he will be able to get the correct parts easily. I would have to go over to the house and sneak around the truck to get the needed information - and even my non-car guy brother would notice I was up to something and start to suspect me, and this has to be a surprise or he won't let me 'borrow' his truck to take it and have the improvements done. I might have to go over anyway to see if the trim on the lights is black or chrome, but I can do that at a glance, without arousing suspicion.

I know that "paying someone else to do a job" isn't part of this site's "Code of Honor," but "Making Sure it's Done RIGHT," is and that's what I want to do. I called my mom last night to tell her my plan, and she thought it was a great idea - and she also thinks that this is not something he would even think of doing for himself.

So forgive me my DIY brethren (and sisters), I do this for another, not myself.

SameGuy
12-03-2022, 03:59 PM
You’re a very good brother and person. I have no problem with your MO. Well done! :dblthumb2: