PDA

View Full Version : Not quite sure how to call this mess?

DanaDetailingPros
11-21-2022, 11:33 PM
Doing a MB S550 and it has this schmeg right outside of the sunroof on the roof. Hit it with ACA 510 and a 2" Micro on rotary. Didn't make a dent! I'm guessing the clear coat is deteriorated from the sunroof being open and acts like a sand blaster possibly? I don't want to go any further on it and pointed it out to the customer. I just was curious if anyone has seen this before?

briarpatch
11-22-2022, 07:35 AM
Doing a MB S550 and it has this schmeg right outside of the sunroof on the roof. Hit it with ACA 510 and a 2" Micro on rotary. Didn't make a dent! I'm guessing the clear coat is deteriorated from the sunroof being open and acts like a sand blaster possibly? I don't want to go any further on it and pointed it out to the customer. I just was curious if anyone has seen this before?

Maybe I just do not see well....but the center section in the photo is the sunroof itself?

TonesGTO
11-22-2022, 08:35 AM
The MK7 Golfs had this issue, it was plastic and its almost like the layers were separating. If the MB is the same theres no fixing it would have to be replaced or possibly painted.

Desertnate
11-22-2022, 08:45 AM
You're talking about the dull area on the center area in the picture?

To me that looks like either clear coat failure or sun damaged plastic like what was mentioned before. If it's clear coat failure, it's probably not because of "sand blasting" from the roof being open, but simply exposure to the elements for a long time without being clean or having any protection.

When I lived in Hawaii, you'd see damage like this all the time on cars that were not well cared for.

DUBL0WS6
11-22-2022, 10:04 AM
Looks like sun damage to me. Not sure if that's paint or plastic though.

DanaDetailingPros
11-22-2022, 08:41 PM
Maybe I just do not see well....but the center section in the photo is the sunroof itself?
I still can't for the life of me figure out how to upload better pictures. Google photo account? Tried that. Anyway B. the section the is to the left is the roof. It's about 20" wide. Then to right is the huge sunroof that goes all the way to the back.

DanaDetailingPros
11-22-2022, 08:46 PM
You're talking about the dull area on the center area in the picture?

To me that looks like either clear coat failure or sun damaged plastic like what was mentioned before. If it's clear coat failure, it's probably not because of "sand blasting" from the roof being open, but simply exposure to the elements for a long time without being clean or having any protection.

When I lived in Hawaii, you'd see damage like this all the time on cars that were not well cared for.

Car is is great shape. It's the only problem on the entire car. I could understand if it was in other areas hood and other parts of roof. But it is just 2.5 inches wide, right in front of the opening of the sunroof. Which has me guessing what caused it? And I can only point the finger at the sunroof opening at the front. I'm sure it is an inherent problem on this model and I will research it more.