PDA

View Full Version : Windshield chips.

PA DETAILER
11-21-2022, 12:43 PM
Yet another small hit on the way home Saturday. Pencil tip size. This one in the line of vision. In PA you just can't avoid them. I have come to the conclusion that it's just part of wear and tear on a daily driver. You can't avoid it. Just stinks when you hear that ping. Unless you don't drive it or wrap your windshield in bubble wrap.

The Guz
11-21-2022, 02:27 PM
They make PPF for a windshield these days.

opie
11-21-2022, 07:26 PM
They make PPF for a windshield these days.Really?.. have you ever used it? Id be worried about using an ice scraper on it in the winter.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

PaulMys
11-21-2022, 07:57 PM
Really?.. have you ever used it? Id be worried about using an ice scraper on it in the winter.

Ice scraper, Shmice scraper.

Mike lives in Southern California. He ain't got no time for that......... :laughing::laughing:

The Guz
11-21-2022, 09:31 PM
Really?.. have you ever used it? Id be worried about using an ice scraper on it in the winter.

Yes it exists. Never used it. But it will stop rock chips.

Bruno Soares
11-22-2022, 07:07 AM
My brother has STEK DYNOflex on his windshield. But I find it unlikely he’ll let his car sit outside and need the ice scrapper in the morning to see how it does. But if you use plastic ones, I bet it will be fine since it handles the wipers which could be dirty and abrasive without issues. I don’t think the windshield PPF is meant to stay on for as many years as the paint PPF. These were meant to be replaced every couple of years and are recommended for cars that are tracked as one could be bothered on a daily driven car by the thick film adding some distortion.

PA DETAILER
11-22-2022, 10:18 AM
Does Windshield Protection Film REALLY Work? | Simulated Rock Chip TEST - YouTube (https://youtu.be/LMUf7DK9JdM)

John U
11-22-2022, 12:01 PM
Yes, it is heart breaking. I finished a 1,700 mile jaunt in my new tour vehicle and discovered many windshield marks.
The Xpel PPF is still flawless.

PA DETAILER
11-22-2022, 12:34 PM
Even if it was an option in PA, i am sure it would be illegal. PA is really weird on such things. Tint etc...

Bruno Soares
11-22-2022, 03:26 PM
Even if it was an option in PA, i am sure it would be illegal. PA is really weird on such things. Tint etc...

The film is clear. So it’s legal, unlike tint used for darkening. But it’s quite expensive and may be more than some windshields. So most will deal with the risk and accept a replacement when a crack happens.

MisterSnoop
11-22-2022, 05:28 PM
Yet another small hit on the way home Saturday. Pencil tip size. This one in the line of vision. In PA you just can't avoid them. I have come to the conclusion that it's just part of wear and tear on a daily driver. You can't avoid it. Just stinks when you hear that ping. Unless you don't drive it or wrap your windshield in bubble wrap.

If it's in the line of vision, that sounds like it could fail inspection. My last chip this summer turned into a crack in a few days just above the steering wheel. The dealership said it didn't look like it would fail inspection but that could change depending on who inspects it. I did order a RainX windshield repair kit to have on hand for next time. I may just get this windshield replaced but with having a car with a camera system and HUD, i'm a little more hesitant.