PDA

View Full Version : What's your recipe for cleaning foam and micro pads?

Pages : [1] 2

DanaDetailingPros
11-09-2022, 07:50 PM
I've gone through a few old threads on this subject. I apologize if I'm missing anything recent. As for techniques it seems allot just use dish soap. That's what I've been doing and feel there has to be a healthier way! These dam things aren't cheep! I did stop putting them in the dryer when I first notice red threads everywhere around the Velcro backing on a new LC foam. So I just let them dry on a rack I made similar to a baking rack. I just bought a 32oz bottle of the Griot's Micro/Pad cleaner and it says to add 2oz to a load with common detergent and set on double rinse cycle. I'm also going to try using it in a spray bottle to hand clean 1st.
I did read a really great post by a member and haven't been able to find it since. But it was really good!

Silly Rabbit
11-09-2022, 07:56 PM
Detail Guardz. Absolutely amazing product(s) in my opinion.

Silly Rabbit
11-09-2022, 08:08 PM
Guess I should mention my method. I do follow their instructions, spray with their cleaner, work it into the pads and I let them sit for a few minutes to let the cleaner work. Then use the Detail Guardz setup and the pads come out amazingly clean. I let the pads sit overnight to air dry then the next day with fresh warm water I do the pads again but with no cleaner. The pads come out like new, and the second cleaning with just water even gets rid of the pleasant citrus smell from the cleaner. So I figure if it cleans even the smell from the cleaner, it's cleaning out all residue.
I will say I have only used the Detail Guardz and not any other method. When I jumped into the machine polishing end of this hobby from always being a hands guy, I jumped in deep. When I bought my machines I was researching everything. I was thinking of ways to clean the pads, because they are pricey, and came across the Detail Guardz. And I was happy to see they are fellow Canucks, over in Toronto.
I am more then happy cleaning pads this way.
I know Lake Country has a good setup to clean as well, but after buying my polishers I said 'no way am I getting them that close to water after paying for these'. Lol

opie
11-09-2022, 08:39 PM
I've gone through a few old threads on this subject. I apologize if I'm missing anything recent. As for techniques it seems allot just use dish soap. That's what I've been doing and feel there has to be a healthier way! These dam things aren't cheep! I did stop putting them in the dryer when I first notice red threads everywhere around the Velcro backing on a new LC foam. So I just let them dry on a rack I made similar to a baking rack. I just bought a 32oz bottle of the Griot's Micro/Pad cleaner and it says to add 2oz to a load with common detergent and set on double rinse cycle. I'm also going to try using it in a spray bottle to hand clean 1st.
I did read a really great post by a member and haven't been able to find it since. But it was really good!No dish soap! Lol

That griots stuff will take your breath away...strong scent to it.

I have the lake country system 4000. Works well for cleaning many pads. I have 2 dozen or so dirty pads at the moment to clean which is to many to do by hand lol.

I use poor boys world foam pad cleaner. Amazing product.

Anyway if i clean by hand, i will spritz some poor boys onto the dry pad then massge the pad and work the cleaner into it. Gettin the pad wet with water as needed to help with working out the nastyness.

Then once clean i will rinse with water, then squeeze out exess water.

At this point i flip a box fan upside down ontop of a 5 gallon bucket and lay pads on top of box fan. Then turn on fan and let the fan draw air thru the pads to dry them. Alot faster than just laying out to dry.

I found the washer and dryer just doesnt work as well for me

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

PaulMys
11-09-2022, 08:54 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221110/b61ae0488a865a3b5fdae8d601e7a389.jpg

I don’t use MF pads, but my foam pad care is easy.

1) And most importantly… Use enough pads. Never overwork them. Buying enough pads initially may seem expensive, but try replacing them every year….

2) I spray each used pad with McKee’s polishing pad cleaner immediately after use, agitatite it with a brush, and it then gets dunked into a 3D Towel Kleen mixture to soak as I finish the polishing.

3) The above pic is how my LC Orange Flats come out of the bucket after soaking.

(Notice the milky water. That is the Griot’s Correcting Cream extracted from just the soak.)

Easy….. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanaDetailingPros
11-09-2022, 10:30 PM
Detail Guardz. Absolutely amazing product(s) in my opinion.

Guess I should mention my method. I do follow their instructions, spray with their cleaner, work it into the pads and I let them sit for a few minutes to let the cleaner work. Then use the Detail Guardz setup and the pads come out amazingly clean. I let the pads sit overnight to air dry then the next day with fresh warm water I do the pads again but with no cleaner. The pads come out like new, and the second cleaning with just water even gets rid of the pleasant citrus smell from the cleaner. So I figure if it cleans even the smell from the cleaner, it's cleaning out all residue.
I will say I have only used the Detail Guardz and not any other method. When I jumped into the machine polishing end of this hobby from always being a hands guy, I jumped in deep. When I bought my machines I was researching everything. I was thinking of ways to clean the pads, because they are pricey, and came across the Detail Guardz. And I was happy to see they are fellow Canucks, over in Toronto.
I am more then happy cleaning pads this way.
I know Lake Country has a good setup to clean as well, but after buying my polishers I said 'no way am I getting them that close to water after paying for these'. Lol

No dish soap! Lol

That griots stuff will take your breath away...strong scent to it.

I have the lake country system 4000. Works well for cleaning many pads. I have 2 dozen or so dirty pads at the moment to clean which is to many to do by hand lol.

I use poor boys world foam pad cleaner. Amazing product.

Anyway if i clean by hand, i will spritz some poor boys onto the dry pad then massge the pad and work the cleaner into it. Gettin the pad wet with water as needed to help with working out the nastyness.

Then once clean i will rinse with water, then squeeze out exess water.

At this point i flip a box fan upside down ontop of a 5 gallon bucket and lay pads on top of box fan. Then turn on fan and let the fan draw air thru the pads to dry them. Alot faster than just laying out to dry.

I found the washer and dryer just doesnt work as well for me

1) And most importantly… Use enough pads. Never overwork them. Buying enough pads initially may seem expensive, but try replacing them every year….

2) I spray each used pad with McKee’s polishing pad cleaner immediately after use, agitatite it with a brush, and it then gets dunked into a 3D Towel Kleen mixture to soak as I finish the polishing.

3) The above pic is how my LC Orange Flats come out of the bucket after soaking.

(Notice the milky water. That is the Griot’s Correcting Cream extracted from just the soak.)

Is the Griot's any good? Also really like the 4000 and have seen it in action on the video. Also have heard really good feedback from the guys on here that have one. I just need to put one on the list. Another $180 after tax:( Man, detailing sure costs a bunch to have all the right gear! But defiantly comes back 20 fold. So know I'm hearing Poorboys and Detail guardz. Please gang join in!!!!Im the MAN

John U
11-09-2022, 10:45 PM
I presoak in Lestoil cleaner. (Home Depot and hardware stores, Amazon).
Scrub them out and wring out until clean. Toss in the washer with the towels in a 3D Towel cleaner.

craigdt
11-10-2022, 12:44 AM
I stumbled across the Detail Guards cleaner just the other day and could not believe I'd never heard of it before.
It looks terrific! Was thinking about the LC unit, but think I'll go with the Detail Guards instead

DanaDetailingPros
11-10-2022, 01:43 AM
I presoak in Lestoil cleaner. (Home Depot and hardware stores, Amazon).
Scrub them out and wring out until clean. Toss in the washer with the towels in a 3D Towel cleaner.

I stumbled across the Detail Guards cleaner just the other day and could not believe I'd never heard of it before.
It looks terrific! Was thinking about the LC unit, but think I'll go with the Detail Guards instead

I'm still curious if the Griot's is any good. Guess I'll find out soon. I really like the 4000!

opie
11-10-2022, 05:22 AM
I'm still curious if the Griot's is any good. Guess I'll find out soon. I really like the 4000!The griots pad cleaner? Yes it works good. For me i couldnt take the strong scent. Poorboys was cheaper anyway if i remember correctly.

Side note, i got my lc4000 from detailed image. They have it cheaper and a 25%off sale right now.

luckydawg
11-10-2022, 06:42 AM
when i am done i throw them in a bucket of water until I am thru polishing- then I clean them by hand with my APC, then spin them dry with my rotary- that slings 99% of the water out, they dry fast after that

opie
11-10-2022, 06:50 AM
when i am done i throw them in a bucket of water until I am thru polishing- then I clean them by hand with my APC, then spin them dry with my rotary- that slings 99% of the water out, they dry fast after that

Yes good reccomendation on the rotary. Forgot to add that. It works well especially on wool pads. Its like a very long fur dog shaking off after going for a swim lol

waddell64
11-10-2022, 11:19 AM
Anyone have a great method for getting a sealant out of a foam waxing pad? I recently used Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant with SiO2 and I had a time getting all the sealant out of the pad.

I used some BlackFire Pad cleaner on my foam pads that I used Griot's Correcting Cream on and they came out perfectly clean with minimal effort. Can't say the same with my poor waxing pad.

oneheadlite
11-10-2022, 12:12 PM
Put this together a while back: (Copy/paste my post from when I did it)

Tried out a DIY ghetto pad washing station I put together.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220619/64f404a53c00b8434d404aa9d6205c61.jpg

Handypail paint roller tray + el cheapo 6” backing plate + Griot’s drill adapter bit + drill (ok, bit driver).

I’m too cheap to buy a pad washer, but have been curious to find an alternative to the hand scrubbing step. Also haven’t been crazy about some of the grids the pad runs on for some pad washers; seem like they’d be sharp to the pad. I know if they wrecked pads we’d have heard about it long ago, but I like the idea of something rounder. The other day in the garage I saw a paint roller tray which got me thinking.

The trays I have are either very paint-y or super flimsy. Found the Handypail one during my search, I think it was like $12. Actually quite sturdy, and another benefit I found when I got it home is they made it to sit securely in a utility sink.

Backing plate was a cheap on I could source locally (sorry AG, I’m impatient when I’ve got an idea to try). $8.

I’ve had the bit adapter for a while now, I use it to run carpet brushes on my drill. $10

Add about 1/2-3/4 gallon of water and detergent (I’m trying rags to riches), and then run with about half the pad in the water. Tray is sturdy enough to squish on to help flush the fluid through. Went through a big backlog of pads I had to clean in waaaay less time than it would take to clean by hand.

Future upgrade: since the backing plate I got is 5.something inches to run 6” pads, I’m going to look into making a disc to put between the backing plate and the outer edge of the pad to: keep the velcro away from the 5.5” pads that overhangs their backing, and to support the outside of the 6.5” pads. I’ve got some lexan at work I’ll see what I can come up with. No damage that I noticed with the stack I did, but figure can’t hurt.

Just to clarify, when cleaning the pads, I only run them about half in the cleaning solution with the drill running. Like other pad washers I kinda pulse down how much pressure I'm applying to help squish fluid out and let it soak back in.

2black1s
11-10-2022, 04:42 PM
When I clean pads, I only have a handful at a time, so I do them in my laundry sink by hand. I use either Tide or Dawn, starting at full strength. I've never felt the need for a pad specific cleaner. The Tide or Dawn cuts through anything I've ever run across.