PDA

View Full Version : assistance with removing clay dirt

tomsteve
11-08-2022, 04:45 PM
i wish i had pics but hope a description will be good enough.
gotta white dodge van to clean up. it has lived on a dirt road for a few years that gets sprayed with chloride . its not white anymore- has a nice clay dirt tint to it now.
i can wet my finger, rub the surface and it comes clean. claybar cleans it up too. yet washing with just dawn dish soap and water- doesnt touch it.
before i claybar the whole vehicle im wonderin if theres a product i could use to wash this nasty thing with that will be a bit less time consuming. just lookin to clean the crud off- owner just wants it white again.
any help is greatly appreciated.

Bosko
11-08-2022, 04:51 PM
Sounds like a time for a polish to me

How are things in West Branch Mi.

PaulMys
11-08-2022, 05:21 PM
Leave the DAWN for dishes, and try a dedicated car wash like Meguiar's Hyper Wash, Tom.

If that won't cut it, you may need to go to a polish like the Bosko-nater said. :)

Bosko
11-08-2022, 05:31 PM
There's always the 4200 PSI....4.0GPM pressure washer with the turbo tip used at 4 inches away........:xyxthumbs::D

2black1s
11-08-2022, 05:49 PM
Sounds like a perfect candidate for Meguiar's Cleaner Wax...

dlc95
11-08-2022, 06:52 PM
Some of those really grimey vehicles get a treatment of Optimum Power Clean (5:1) on the non glass portions. Let dwell for a sec, then power wash off. Then I'll do a rinseless wash. If it's still bad I'll use Optimum's iron remover (Ferrex) with their clay towel.

From there I'll polish it with 3D ONE, or Optimum Hyper Polish - or, in the event they want a less costly option I'll use 3D Speed or Optimum GPS.

I also may use Duragloss 101, or Meguiar's M06 Cleaner Wax.

noorth
11-08-2022, 08:21 PM
^^ What kind of cut and protection does Meguiar's M06 have folks? I have nearly a full bottle. I have never used it since i got my longthrow. Maybe i should give it a whirl. What do you top it with? I have Polish Angel Rapidwaxx and some other LSP's.

2black1s
11-08-2022, 11:06 PM
^^ What kind of cut and protection does Meguiar's M06 have folks? I have nearly a full bottle. I have never used it since i got my longthrow. Maybe i should give it a whirl. What do you top it with? I have Polish Angel Rapidwaxx and some other LSP's.

Both the Meguiar's OTC Cleaner Wax and the #6 are very similar. Both are non-abrasive, chemical cleaner, products. Any "cut" you achieve will be the result of your process, i.e., pad, pressure, speed, etc.

As for protection and/or toppers, I have no opinion to share as neither of those items rank very high on my list of priorities.

Coatingsarecrack
11-09-2022, 06:41 AM
From what I read Clay soil is slightly alkaline so I would use CarPro Descale ( acidic) or a paint safe citrus degreaser to try and neutralize it.

Follow up with an alkaline wash. Try and let each sit on paint for minute and hopefully that should remove it.

If not then yes a light polish would be plan B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlc95
11-09-2022, 02:55 PM

M06 Cleaner Wax is very close to their M66 Quik Detailer, which is actually a cleaner wax. About a 4 on their scale. The consumer version is quite a bit lighter in cut. The professional version is able to remove da haze and rotary swirls with a polishing pad. I would assume they have a similar abrasive load.

I use M06 on black Buff and Shine pads with a Porter Cable 7424xp.

Last fall I did my old bassists black Yukon with it, and it did a great job removing the swirls and oxidation. That black pad work much better than the orange Griots boss pad I used on his son's car a bit after I did his. It shouldn't because it's a finishing pad, but it did.

I don't top it with anything. It leaves a pretty slick wax finish as is.