PDA

View Full Version : What’s your TOP GUN on heavily scratched paint?

Pages : [1] 2

DanaDetailingPros
11-01-2022, 10:48 PM
I’ve jumped in head first after 15 years off detailing. Needless to say detailing has evolved light years since!
I’ve been Having phenomenal results thanks to all of you guys!
I’m curious what would be your 1st gun on someone else’s rotatory mess?
I know to take the least aggressive route first!
I’ve been kicking around whether to even pull out the rotary. I've been using the BEAST almost exclusively with great results! I'll defiantly go with forced and a blue LK HDO CCS and Cutmax then Menzerna Heavy Cut 400
Assuming the results fall short, what would be your TOP GUN?
Thanks in advance! And I will post pics and what did the trick.

2black1s
11-01-2022, 10:59 PM
It's really job dependent.

But an orbital with a foam polishing pad, and your polish of choice (or an AIO), probably covers 95% of the work out there.

noorth
11-01-2022, 11:13 PM
I would try the beast first.

DanaDetailingPros
11-01-2022, 11:34 PM
It's really job dependent.

But an orbital with a foam polishing pad, and your polish of choice (or an AIO), probably covers 95% of the work out there.

I would try the beast first.

Hey Buddy Noorth!
I've been using it dam near exclusively. It's been a game changer! I agree with you on trying it first. But if that doesn't cut deep enough, I was hoping to hear other options?

noorth
11-02-2022, 01:13 AM
Microfiber i suppose....or wool and rotary.

A lot of detailers i've read about do the majority of heavy cutting with microfiber on a DA. Meg's cutting discs, uro-fiber, blue LC and blue rupes etc

opie
11-02-2022, 07:30 AM
Microfiber i suppose....or wool and rotary.

Microfiber is a no no for forced rotation

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

opie
11-02-2022, 08:00 AM
I’m curious what would be your 1st gun on someone else’s rotor mess?
I know to try the least aggressive route first!
I’ve been kicking around whether to even pull out the rotary. I've been using the BEAST almost exclusively with great results! I'll defiantly go with forced and a blue LK HDO CCS and Cutmax then Menzerna Heavy Cut 400
Assuming the results fall short, what would be your TOP GUN?
Thanks in advance! And I will post pics and what did the trick.

Supa beast and orange lc force pad 3d aca510, if that fails then id grab my flex rotary and lc purple foamed wool pad 3d aca510, if that is not enough then swap the purple foamed wool for rupes coarse blue twisted wool pad 3d aca510.

Thats just my general thought but as 2black1s said each situation is different.

Side not if you like menz 400...may i suggest 3d 510. Im my view its all around better product. Easier wipe off cuts fastand finishes down very nicely

dlc95
11-02-2022, 09:41 AM
My most used heavy cutter is 3D ACA500 on Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber pads. That's if the green foam isn't going fast enough.

I still enjoy using those old school green foam Buff and Shine or Hex Logic pads if I want to cut to any degree with foam. They're designated as a polishing pad, but they always cut better for me than the hard, dense orange or yellow. I used to use them with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound a lot back when I started.

The problem I'm having now with those foams is that they're not being made for long throw polishers (aside from the CG Quantam Hex Logic) in a contemporary range of sizes. The smallest is a 4"! I use 1" and 3" pads sometimes.

Outside of that, I REALLY like the LC HDO CCS for foam defect removal.

I'll start with 3D ONE on any detail, but if needed I'll go to the ACA500 compound.

Other compounds I really like:
Meguiar's M110
Carpro Ultracut
Jescar Correcting Compound
Sonax Ultimate Cut

I also used to use the Rupes Zephir when I was using the old Rupes system. I'm not in love with their new system (but I do like their wool pads, and plan on picking more of then up), but I still have the old liquids and a ton of the original microfiber in my personal stock. I'll use those from time to time as well. The new DA Coarse I found really dusty, more so than Meguiar's M105. I'm thinking the culprit is their priming recommendations. Way too much material on the pad for me. If I ever try it again, I'll use the procedure that works for me, which starting with a few drops, and letting the pad self prime.

Sometime I wonder if some of these companies don't start with promoting their procedure before the results and user experience.

opie
11-02-2022, 10:01 AM
My most used heavy cutter is 3D ACA500 on Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber pads. That's if the green foam isn't going fast enough.

Have you tried aca 510 yet? I had aca500 and loved it, but when i ran low i got 510 instead. The only difference i had found was that it cut faster. Mike p also said that the main difference was more powder in 510 compared to 500..hense faster cut

DanaDetailingPros
11-02-2022, 11:09 AM
so your saying Beast w/3D500 and uro-fiber correct? I do have the Uro pads and 3D One is what I'll try 1st. Or should I start with a Blue LC HDO CCS? I just ordered the ACA500 since it's been on my list for quite awhile. I only Sonax I have is Cutmax and Perfect finish. I also have 3M #2 and MG 205

DanaDetailingPros
11-02-2022, 11:38 AM
Have you tried aca 510 yet? I had aca500 and loved it, but when i ran low i got 510 instead. The only difference i had found was that it cut faster. Mike p also said that the main difference was more powder in 510 compared to 500..hense faster cut

I still enjoy using those old school green foam Buff and Shine or Hex Logic pads if I want to cut to any degree with foam. They're designated as a polishing pad, but they always cut better for me than the hard, dense orange or yellow. I used to use them with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound a lot back when I started.

The problem I'm having now with those foams is that they're not being made for long throw polishers (aside from the CG Quantam Hex Logic) in a contemporary range of sizes. The smallest is a 4"! I use 1" and 3" pads sometimes.

Outside of that, I REALLY like the LC HDO CCS for foam defect removal.

I'll start with 3D ONE on any detail, but if needed I'll go to the ACA500 compound.

Other compounds I really like:
Meguiar's M110
Carpro Ultracut
Jescar Correcting Compound
Sonax Ultimate Cut

I also used to use the Rupes Zephir when I was using the old Rupes system. I'm not in love with their new system (but I do like their wool pads, and plan on picking more of then up), but I still have the old liquids and a ton of the original microfiber in my personal stock. I'll use those from time to time as well. The new DA Coarse I found really dusty, more so than Meguiar's M105. I'm thinking the culprit is their priming recommendations. Way too much material on the pad for me. If I ever try it again, I'll use the procedure that works for me, which starting with a few drops, and letting the pad self prime.

Sometime I wonder if some of these companies don't start with promoting their procedure before the results and user experience.

Supa beast and orange lc force pad 3d aca510, if that fails then id grab my flex rotary and lc purple foamed wool pad 3d aca510, if that is not enough then swap the purple foamed wool for rupes coarse blue twisted wool pad 3d aca510.

Thats just my general thought but as 2black1s said each situation is different.

Side not if you like menz 400...may i suggest 3d 510. Im my view its all around better product. Easier wipe off cuts fastand finishes down very nicely

OK Opie I just pulled the trigger on the 32oz 510! I see Dic said 500 and it was $5 cheaper for 8oz but didn't come in a 32oz only 8oz or gallon. I wish I was a candidate for a gallon!lol
But the 510 did come in 32 for $59 and that made way more sense to me. I seriously have been pondering 500 for quite awhile. I've been getting away with Cutmax or 3D One. and for anything stronger I had the 3M or the Menzerna Heavy Cut 400 I will need to grab a purple. I'm beating myself for not adding it to my last order with Clean garage when I loaded up on LK HDO CCS and Uro's I had it on the list and kept deleting it prior to checking out:(

dgage
11-02-2022, 12:28 PM
I like the Rupes coarse wool pad with Griot’s FCC for most corrections as it finishes down well too. If I need more correction, I bring out Menzerna 400. I use with a Flex CBeast forced rotation.

dlc95
11-02-2022, 03:20 PM

Not yet Opie. I saw Brian from Apex do a review on 510 and he preferred the 500 for its cycle time. But, as with anything I need to see for myself. He and I have a similar approach, so I imagine I'd experience a similar result.

I'll have to put some on the next order for sure.

Thanks!

dlc95
11-02-2022, 03:29 PM
so your saying Beast w/3D500 and uro-fiber correct? I do have the Uro pads and 3D One is what I'll try 1st. Or should I start with a Blue LC HDO CCS? I just ordered the ACA500 since it's been on my list for quite awhile. I only Sonax I have is Cutmax and Perfect finish. I also have 3M #2 and MG 205

I start with 3D ONE on green B&S, or if I'm at work I'll start with the blue LC HDO CCS. From there I'll go with the Uro-Fiber with 3D ONE. If that's not cutting enough fast enough I move to the ACA500.

I also use Optimum's range of spray polishes. I ordered some LC purple foamed wool pads to try with them. I have a set of their waffle pads, but that orange foam and I aren't fond of one another.

DanaDetailingPros
11-02-2022, 06:10 PM
Now were talking!!! I love it when you guys start rolling:) OK so I just got back from seeing the car. It was less worse than I was expecting. Though I can see how a customer would feel having just paid 4K for a new paint job, Just to trust a detailer to leave him hanging. I checked the thickness of the paint and it was 260-300UM Should I switch to MILS on my meter? it is on Metric now. But can set it to Imperial. I looked on the roof and it looked like a 10 year old painted it with 100 spray cans. It was solid orange peel like nothing I have ever seen. I told him if I was to correct the roof it would cost more than doing his whole Suburban. He was totally fine with that. The picture sucks but maybe you can see it? We had rain and clouds were not letting much light through. I have some ACA 510 coming today and a purple wool LK tomorrow. Though I feel Beast with orange LC HDO CCS and 3D ONE will do the trick. I'm also pretty geeked he doesn't want the inside done. I only like interior jobs on newer vehicles. Thanks a ton guy's:)