PDA

View Full Version : Looking for foam gun

Pages : [1] 2

Honda Fan
11-01-2022, 09:52 AM
I have no plans on buying a pressure washer. But I would like to use something like a foam canon but from what I understand I'm looking for a foam gun. I do have a compressor and I've think I've seen foam guns in videos that appear to attach to both your hose and a stand alone compressor (I have one of those). Does anyone know where to find one of these? Are they any good? My car wash routine is going to be Rinse, Foam, Rinse and then a 2 bucket wash. I realize I probably won't get the coverage with a gun as you would with a canon but I'd like to get one with the best coverage.

Bill D
11-01-2022, 10:05 AM
Why do a two bucket wash when with a foam gun you can safely distribute the soapy water all over the paint while whisking with the mitt?

I don’t think you need a compressor to foam your vehicle, just the gun that attaches to a hose which is available on Autogeek

briarpatch
11-01-2022, 10:43 AM
I have an earlier version of this:

BLACKFIRE Quart Foamaster Foam Gun, foamer, car wash foam gun, foam master (https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-quart-foam-gun.html)

Bill D
11-01-2022, 10:50 AM
That’s the kind I’ve been using over the years. As long as I have decent water pressure it produces plenty of soapy solution for me.

PA DETAILER
11-01-2022, 11:07 AM
:iagree:

dgage
11-01-2022, 01:04 PM
And I like just using the IK Foam 12 with Reset instead of using more water. Gives plenty of lubrication. I can also use it as a prerinse if my car is really dirty but it never is. Plan to use it with a foaming rinseless this winter.

opie
11-01-2022, 05:14 PM
And I like just using the IK Foam 12 with Reset instead of using more water. Gives plenty of lubrication. I can also use it as a prerinse if my car is really dirty but it never is. Plan to use it with a foaming rinseless this winter.Is it a certain tip that is used that makes it foam?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

dgage
11-01-2022, 06:31 PM
Is it a certain tip that is used that makes it foam?

Yes there are different tips for wetter or dryer foam and one main constituent are the foam discs in the tip that are replaceable.

Professional Sprayer IK FOAM 9 / Pro 12 kit | IK Sprayers (https://www.iksprayers.com/en/ik-foam-9-pro-12-kit-82676800.html)

VISITOR
11-01-2022, 06:45 PM
the foam guns that AG carry are the ones you want (gilmour branded), they have a sliding brass dilution pin/bar (just like the one pictured below). i wouldn't recommend the one with the plastic dial that are currently being sold elsewhere..
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/1007/medium/Parts.jpg

Honda Fan
11-01-2022, 08:00 PM
Why do a two bucket wash when with a foam gun you can safely distribute the soapy water all over the paint while whisking with the mitt?

I had been reading that this was a preferred method for some people. Although they did agree that the foaming and rinse before the 2 bucket wash wasn't necessary.

BTW: Is a specific foaming soap necessary or can I use my Griots brilliant finish soap? Basically, can I use any OTC car wash soap in it? I understand that depending on the protectant that has been laid down might benefit from a specific brand of soap, but in general, any car soap will work?

opie
11-01-2022, 09:10 PM
BTW: Is a specific foaming soap necessary or can I use my Griots brilliant finish soap? Basically, can I use any OTC car wash soap in it? I understand that depending on the protectant that has been laid down might benefit from a specific brand of soap, but in general, any car soap will work?

Any soap will make suds. Some will way out perform most.

It all depends on your goal for your foaming step.

If you deal with traffic film on a regular basis, then you would ant a soap that is on the higher side of the ph scale so it assists in the breaking down of said film.

Your run of the mill otc car soaps will not do that.
Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

dgage
11-01-2022, 09:50 PM
Any soap will make suds. Some will way out perform most.

Like you said, true foam soaps would likely use less product to produce the same amount of suds though.

Honda Fan
11-01-2022, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the info and help guys.

Coatingsarecrack
11-02-2022, 02:47 AM
If you want the best around look into Lafferty. Rolls Royce of foam guns.

I have the brass gilmour. Was going to splurge on lafferty but then I found the gilmour for $32 and can’t pass up on a deal. Works well wish it foamed a little more.

If I had to do again would probably just buy this or Adam’s premium foam gun.

I do rinseless and bucket washes as well as just use this foam gun.

If it were all I was using I would spring for a Lafferty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PouncingPanzer
11-02-2022, 07:40 AM
My experience with the foam guns is less than stellar, at least the two I have tried(an orange one and a green one). I never got foam even remotely close to being worth it. Just used a lot of product that was slimy at best and it all immediately ran off the car onto the ground. I use one for spreading lawn treatment now, works well in that roll. If it were me I would invest in a cheaper Greenworks pressure washer or something and get the real deal. IMHO.