PDA

View Full Version : When to replace brushes on Porter Cable 7424XP

garfy
10-29-2022, 03:06 PM
I've had my 7424XP for years now and haven't had an issue with it thus far. I'm wondering how will I know when to replace the brushes on it without it getting so worn that it would damage the commutator on the armature? I have spare brushes I bought some time ago but are there any signs that it's time to replace them? I've seen some other motors that kept working until the brush backing started to hit the commutator and caused grooves in them; I want to avoid that but maybe the polisher is designed so that the brushes won't go that far down and would lose contact before any damage can occur? Thanks for anyone who's replaced them already and found no damage and can comment on this.

Sleper
10-29-2022, 03:18 PM
Basically you machine will stop all by itself. after a minute it will start again but only run for a minute or two and stop again. Time to change brushes - very easy Good luck

dlc95
10-29-2022, 06:25 PM
That's a good question.

I changed the brushes in a friend's 7424xp, and it did no good because the armature was worn as well. He had to buy a new one.

PaulMys
10-29-2022, 06:41 PM
Remove and inspect the brushes.

And while you're at at, why not just replace them?

Be proactive. :)

dlc95
10-30-2022, 04:10 PM
Remove and inspect the brushes.

And while you're at at, why not just replace them?

Be proactive. :)

You're right.

I've just gotten into the habit of topping off my gas tank in the mornings on the way to work. It's SO nice starting the car and seeinga full tank!

Then its settled, I'm going to change the brushes in all my tools this week.