PDA

View Full Version : Polish before car pro coating

Pages : [1] 2 3

waterman
10-25-2022, 10:14 AM
Hello,

Im putting the car pro sic coating on my sisters Lexus this weekend. Does it matter what polish I use as a last step if I use eraser?

Thank you

dgage
10-25-2022, 10:54 AM
Hello,

Im putting the car pro sic coating on my sisters Lexus this weekend. Does it matter what polish I use as a last step if I use eraser?

Thank you

Yes and no. It doesn’t matter which polish but it would matter if it were a one-step polish with protection. Some one steps include 2-4 mo of protection which Eraser wouldn’t completely remove and would interfere with the coating. BF Onestep, HD Speed, Rupes Uno Protect are examples of one steps with protection.

I will also throw out Gyeon Primer and CarPro Essence as SiO2-infused polishes that are supposed to help a coating bond but not sure how true that is. But even with those, you need to use Eraser or similar to remove the polishing oils before coating.

Good luck.

waterman
10-25-2022, 11:08 AM
Thank you, I won’t be using a one step. I wanted to order essence but I won’t receive it in time.

dgage
10-25-2022, 11:25 AM
Locally Meguiars Ultimate Polish, Meguiar’s D302, Griot’s Perfecting Cream, Meguiars M205/210 are all very good.

waterman
10-25-2022, 11:32 AM
Hello,

It’s funny. I just bought ultimate polish Sunday and already have perfecting cream. I bought ultimate polish on sale because I think this will work very well on my sisters car.

briarpatch
10-25-2022, 12:18 PM
Yes and no. It doesn’t matter which polish but it would matter if it were a one-step polish with protection. Some one steps include 2-4 mo of protection which Eraser wouldn’t completely remove and would interfere with the coating. BF Onestep, HD Speed, Rupes Uno Protect are examples of one steps with protection.

I will also throw out Gyeon Primer and CarPro Essence as SiO2-infused polishes that are supposed to help a coating bond but not sure how true that is. But even with those, you need to use Eraser or similar to remove the polishing oils before coating.

Good luck.

I thought you could coat right over Gyeon Primer? I thought that was one of the selling points of it?

Lance Mark
10-25-2022, 12:31 PM
I thought you could coat right over Gyeon Primer? I thought that was one of the selling points of it?

PRE COATING PAINT PRIMER
Q² Primer is designed to be used before applying a coating to paint. This coating primer will ensure a long term bond and has laid down a base layer of SiO2 for the main coating to bond to. It will make the coating application smooth and easy.

ELIMINATES NEED TO PREP
If you give 24 hours between the coating primer application and your coating application, you do not need to prep wipe the surface. The main coating will bond perfectly to Primer, and you can avoid any surface marring on soft paints during the prep process.

I used Angel Polish Primer before applying their Cosmic V2 Glass and it was a little different process, you apply the primer and buff it off before applying the glass coat, but no prep

I am just learning a bit about a primer before a coating and have also heard something about a product called essence?

Rsurfer
10-25-2022, 02:59 PM
PRE COATING PAINT PRIMER

I am just learning a bit about a primer before a coating and have also heard something about a product called essence?

Essence is not only a primer, but a fine polish. It will remove light swirls and scratches and leaves some Sio2 behind.

If you don't work Essence properly, then Eraser should be used before applying a Coating.

luckydawg
10-25-2022, 03:57 PM
I used Angel Polish Primer before applying their Cosmic V2 Glass and it was a little different process, you apply the primer and buff it off before applying the glass coat, but no prep
+1
I have done this multiple times with good results. But I have also just for curiosity reasons did a prep wipe also one one and noticed zero difference.

I do believe you will like the SiC-- Its been on my Jeep for over a year and you would think I just did it a week ago

luckydawg
10-25-2022, 04:02 PM
If your going to polish ( though its not required / necessary - but HIGHLY advisable ) just use a regular polish with no additives. Examples would be Megs 105 / 205 , sonax 04-06 , SchollsS20 black to name a few. The Megs you can just go down to Harbor freight or Auto Zone and they have 'em on the shelf. If You have amazon prime you can get the Megs in 2 days in an 8 ouncer witch will be more than you need for a few cars

opie
10-25-2022, 06:28 PM
Meguiar’s D302

Do you like this product? To be frank...i think it sucks. It is advertised as nothing more than to remove da haze.

Ive tried to use it years ago when i bought it and had zero effect on anything. Probly should throw it away, what a waste of money as its like compleltly full.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

opie
10-25-2022, 06:30 PM
Waterman, like others said...use any polish you want just no AIO or cleaner wax products

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

noorth
10-25-2022, 07:16 PM

It's not practical even if you wait 24h you will have to get the dust off. Don't necessarily have to use a prep you could just "dust drag".

Primer is a finishing polish with some sio2 is how i look at it.

In theory it might be more bubba proof to prep the panel with primer that way you haven't got to be too concern with getting all the polishing oils off the paint before coating. One issue i have with coatings.

Personally, if i ever coat my car again i will look for a primer polish that you can coat over right away. Dr. Beasley's is one. I did see a couple more. Surprised the big boys haven't updated the formulas.

dgage
10-25-2022, 07:23 PM

As Noorth mentioned, Gyeon instructions say you should wait 24 hours for the primer to cure or more likely for the polishing oils to flash off before coating and if less than 24 hours, you should use a prep spray. But like Noorh also mentioned, if you wait 24 hours, there would be dust or similar on the vehicle.

Dr. Beasley’s is one I know can go from polish straight to coating without a prep spray.

dlc95
10-25-2022, 09:00 PM
Seconded on not using a cleaner wax.

My co worker does that and it's a little perplexing. We have Meguiar's D166 at the shop and foe some reason he thinks Eraser will remove it. The paint is still slick when he's done polishing... someone paid $1500.00 to have a cleaner wax applied to their car....

Anyways.

I'm typically finishing with 3D ONE, or Optimum Hyper Polish, but it doesn't really matter, so long as you're using a quality product like the ones mentioned prior.

My old friend from elementary school is a huge Meguiar's fan, so I usually use Meguiar's on he's family's cars. I actually used Ultimate Polish on his GMC Sierra before panel wipe and the Meguiar's Hybrid Coating. I applied some last year and it was still slick after I clayed it. I did apply two coats of Carpro Cquartz UK 3.0 to half of the hood, just so he could see the difference.

I'm going to pick up another bottle of Carpro Esence. I had a set of all the Carpro abrasives, but like a doofus, sold them at a huge loss. I do use their coatings sometimes, so I'd like to experience how they react after using Essence.

Good luck with the SIC. I have a bottle but haven't used it yet. The flash time had me throw it on ebay, but it looks like the car I have on Friday with be my first go round with it.