PDA

View Full Version : Pollen

fech
04-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Don't know if I was here or somewhere else but, is there anything people do for all of the pollen that gets on your car other than wash it. I woke up this morning and my black car looked green!!

makdaddy626
04-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Pollen can mar paint if removed carelessly so be careful. Personally I don't even try to do it without a wash either ONR or traditional. Here in Atlanta, right now I wash my truck in the evening and wake up to a green truck instead of black...

Jimmie
04-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Frustrating but I feel that the less that I touch the paint the less chance of inducing swirls so I just wait for weekly wash (occasionally twice a week). If I need it clean right away it gets PB Spray and Wipe but I found this to be a little too expensive for my liking (I use too much).

HHIslander
04-23-2008, 10:50 AM
i live in south carolina and this year has been the worst in recent memory. I hate it. I'm looking for a shop that i can wash and detail completely inside. The pollen started at least 8-9 weeks ago and is still rediculas. When I was drying a car yesterday, the car wasn't even completely dry and there was already pollen...

TOGWT
04-23-2008, 12:16 PM
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling" Chicken Litle

Pollen - isn't removed by air friction as you drive because it adheres to a surface with microscopic barbs that can attach to even a very slightly uneven surface, and adheres to a natural wax better than a synthetic polymer. As well as being allergic pollen is also very abrasive (due to its exine or barbs) and slightly acidic dust, especially when mixed with moisture and should therefore be removed from paint surfaces as soon as is practicable. - Pollen - Detailing Bliss Forum (http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f34/pollen-2455.html)

Themightytimmah
04-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Use a sealant instead of a carnauba. Don't use MF towels to dry (they create a static buildup). Dry with an air blower if possible.

If you must dry with MF towels, use Finish Kare #425 QD to wipe down. It's a pretty effective anti-static product.

Pollen is pretty tough to QD without marring. A DI water rinse is about the only easy way to get rid of it on a daily basis.

fech
04-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Thank's for all the info. I think this is the worst I noticed it around Northern Ky in a long time also. Looks like more time in the garage.

ScottB
04-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Pollen is quite abrasive ...thus washing and flooding off surface is much better than wiping into/against the finish.