PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with these spots

6shootr
10-24-2022, 08:55 AM
1960 single stage paint.

Washed, scrubbed, clayed, soaking coat of #7 and another coat of #7.

The #7 made a world of difference thank you all for the advice so far.

Now.....what to use and how to deal with these spots as well as small scratches/swirls. They can not be felt when running your hand over them.

2black1s
10-24-2022, 11:49 AM
1960 single stage paint.

Washed, scrubbed, clayed, soaking coat of #7 and another coat of #7.

The #7 made a world of difference thank you all for the advice so far.

Now.....what to use and how to deal with these spots as well as small scratches/swirls. They can not be felt when running your hand over them.

Like you mentioned in one of your other threads, trying ScratchX or Ultimate Compound or Polish may help to some degree. The same could be said for the many good compounds and polishes available.

The only way to know how much improvement is possible is to try. Keep your expectations real knowing that it is never going to look as "good-as-new". Some of those spots are more than likely stained into the paint and are never going away.

As for the scratches and swirls, there's a pretty good chance that those can be improved considerably, although, like I said in one of your other threads, it's too bad you started with an SOS pad... Many of those scratches were unnecessarily inflicted during that process.

If I were in your shoes, by what I can see in the pics, I'd probably start with a rotary, wool pad, and a compound and then finish with a DA, foam pad, and a polish. If I could see and assess the project in person that might change, but I think it's a good starting point. However you go about it, remember, you don't have an infinite amount of paint to work with. Work slowly and inspect the progress methodically as you proceed.

And one final bit of advice relative to researching and documenting your journey... This is the third or fourth thread I've seen in the past few days regarding your "new" acquisitions. I think it would be helpful, not only to you, but to everyone reading this into the future, if all of the information was contained in a single thread rather than bits and pieces scattered throughout multiple threads.