PDA

View Full Version : Woolite Fabric Detergent

Pages : [1] 2

:::houseofbunny:::
04-23-2008, 12:02 AM
In response to a recent thread I decided to post this link.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/11875-interior-cleaning-best-way-concourse-carpets.html

There may be better threads concerning the use of woolite on interiors but this is the one that alerted me to the issue.

Slightly unrelated: I was once advised by a salesperson NOT to use woolite on a swim suit. It breaks down the elastic quality of the fabric. Now how this translates to auto interiors I can't directly say, but I take it to mean that it is not a neutral detergent in terms of it's effects on fabrics.

Chris Thomas
04-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Detergents in general are not nuetral. Woolite is a mild detergent used in a highly diluted state to clean leather, vinyl, and plastics commonly by pros. Most people I know who use it don't use it in carpet including myself. No detergent, including Woolite should be left on a surface but merely wiped off with a damp towel will be fine. A traffic land cleaner or extractor solution is what should be used on carpets. Woolite if used in carpet and not rinsed or extracted can actually attract soil and cause the carpets to get dirtier than they were before you cleaned them. There is plenty of threads on this subject on the forums.

TOGWT
04-23-2008, 07:10 AM
I agree with Integirtydetail

Woolite® has a number of issues that do not lend themselves to the long-term quality care of leather upholstery and interior components. Using a detergent that is meant to be flush rinsed (i.e. rinsed until it runs clear) in a situation were this is not possible, is not recommended as when it dries it will attract dirt and contribute to re-soiling; it will also dry out the surface due to dried soaps capillary action with moisture. This product contains alkalis (sodium), which provide foaming, and a solvent (alcohol) as an aid to cleaning; these will further aggravate the drying out process due to their affinity with moisture.[Edit 24.04.08 Added- Optical brighteners are also used, which contain Stilbene; continued exposure to ultra violet (UV) light will actually cleave the molecule and start the process of degradation.]

ASPHALT ROCKET
04-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks for posting this, maybe those in the other thread will learn something and stop giving poor info. Also there is a thread on another forum that will also re-inforce the above post.

wytstang
04-23-2008, 11:25 AM
I just recently started reading how bad woolite/water is for carpet/fabric use in cars. Wish I would have found that info a while a go. Now I'm on the hunt for a solid carpet cloth seat cleaner, any recommendations? How does DP total interior cleaner perform? Not trying to hijack but it does pertain to this thread and will help out other folks in there search.
EDIT: I have tried PB APC and that didn't go to well for me. Now I'm a bit hesitant with APCs for interior cleaning.

ASPHALT ROCKET
04-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Wystang, try the 1Z line, they have great interior cleaners.

Bunky
04-23-2008, 11:34 AM
There is a difference of opinion on using woolite on leather.

budman3
04-23-2008, 11:41 AM
I just recently started reading how bad woolite/water is for carpet/fabric use in cars. Wish I would have found that info a while a go. Now I'm on the hunt for a solid carpet cloth seat cleaner, any recommendations? How does DP total interior cleaner perform? Not trying to hijack but it does pertain to this thread and will help out other folks in there search.

EDIT: I have tried PB APC and that didn't go to well for me. Now I'm a bit hesitant with APCs for interior cleaning.

I would be more concerned using a diluted APC than Woolite diluted on plastic pieces. I can see where problems could arise if the Woolite were used on a regular basis but using it to clean excessively dirty or greasy dashes and then topping with a protectant won't cause any issues. The protectant used after will remove any left over Woolite while adding protection. It's just like using dawn once in a blue moon won't cause issues, prolonged use is what would ... if no other cleaner is available (and you don't want to place an online order) Woolite won't cause any damages. I believe it is Lexus that recommends its use as well.

As for the carpet cleaning issues, I can believe that. Most any soap left in carpets will attract more dirt if they are not thoroughly extracted. There are better carpet cleaners out there that will get the job done and won't foam up like Woolite does. But just like every other detailing product, find something that works for you ... because that is all that matters.

Jimmie
04-23-2008, 12:01 PM
I've used Woolite 8:1 for a long time. I've also used a 32 oz. rinse bottle of H2O when others said "not necessary". No issues. In fact fewer issues than a Bissell solution I've tried. I'm speaking of carpets, not leather. I still use Pinnacle leather cleaner.

dublifecrisis
04-23-2008, 01:33 PM
So, as long as it's cleaned well, Woolite is still fine on door panels, dash, door sills etc...or even leather seats and NOT on carpet unless extracted thoroughly. For us poor folk, Woolite WAS a great household product that could be dilluted and used as a "gentle" cleaner.

:::houseofbunny:::
04-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Here is my impression of the issue so far: many professional detailers have used woolite (fabric detergent) for a long time for cleaning interior surfaces, such as dash and door panels (but not fabrics), with success and no detrimental effects. I would assume that after a great deal of experience someone somewhere would have noticed if woolite had any negative effects when used repeatedly on the same vehicle over a period of time.

Of all the posts I have read in various threads, occasionally someone will assert that woolite should not be used on interiors, period, but I still haven't seen or read the conclusive "why" for this. So far the main reasons against woolite are: brighteners, drying out of materials if not completely removed, and woolite is designed to be thoroughly rinsed and is not a WOWO product in any dilution. But again, so much collective experience with woolite can't be wrong, can it?

So what's the deal? Why do some people live by this stuff while others are staunchly against it?

Chris Thomas
04-24-2008, 12:08 AM
Here is my impression of the issue so far: many professional detailers have used woolite (fabric detergent) for a long time for cleaning interior surfaces, such as dash and door panels (but not fabrics), with success and no detrimental effects. I would assume that after a great deal of experience someone somewhere would have noticed if woolite had any negative effects when used repeatedly on the same vehicle over a period of time.

Of all the posts I have read in various threads, occasionally someone will assert that woolite should not be used on interiors, period, but I still haven't seen or read the conclusive "why" for this. So far the main reasons against woolite are: brighteners, drying out of materials if not completely removed, and woolite is designed to be thoroughly rinsed and is not a WOWO product in any dilution. But again, so much collective experience with woolite can't be wrong, can it?

So what's the deal? Why do some people live by this stuff while others are staunchly against it?

The product is intended by the manufacturer to be rinsed and even mild detergents can cause degradation if left on a surface too long. The thing is that is does work and well, but you should wipe it off with a damp cloth or extract it. As a matter of fact some Automakers include a tag on their leather seats that give instructions to clean with a diluted, wool-safe detergent. Some people use what works and others will only use specifically formulated/job specific chemicals and still yet others have a ton of knowledge, but no 'real world' application. There is no way to avoid sifting though these opinions, you just have to get info from trusted sources and use trial and error.

TOGWT
04-24-2008, 02:27 AM
Well, while I’m certainly not a subject-matter expert, much less a guru; but I don’t mind sharing the knowledge I have gained from almost five decades of detailing experience, and insights gained from my profession as a Chemical Engineer on not only the “How it works’ but “Why it works”.

My best advise; research other options and products, test them and then make an objective decision based upon factual information not hype or brand loyalty. After all, how can you fully understand and properly use any product unless you have all the facts? I would also strongly suggest that you verify any information that I or anyone else shares with you.

I will say this, I used to use both Woolite and Leatherequi products for leather care, but as the materials and production methods that are used on automobiles change; we need to adapt to them and adjust products used and their application methodologies to keep pace with them

supercharged
04-24-2008, 04:01 AM
Megs APC+ (orange) is your best friend. Works well at ratio 10:1 (10 water, 1 cleaner), and is very efficient. I always use it on carpets in my car, love that it doesn't foam up like DP.

Bunky
04-24-2008, 07:01 AM
The product is intended by the manufacturer to be rinsed and even mild detergents can cause degradation if left on a surface too long. The thing is that is does work and well, but you should wipe it off with a damp cloth or extract it. As a matter of fact some Automakers include a tag on their leather seats that give instructions to clean with a diluted, wool-safe detergent. Some people use what works and others will only use specifically formulated/job specific chemicals and still yet others have a ton of knowledge, but no 'real world' application. There is no way to avoid sifting though these opinions, you just have to get info from trusted sources and use trial and error.

I still think some paint a picture that people are washing their leather seats like they are taking a bath. That is, they have this bucket of soapy water and taking a sponge and dousing it on the seats.

With any cleaner on most any surface, it is best to use a dampened cloth or sponge with whatever the cleaner is and then wipe on the surface. Then wipe down with a second damp cloth to remove the cleaner and dry the surface. You could argue just sitting on leather seats will do equal amounts of harm (transfer of dirt/sweat) than a cleaner. As we know, always use the least aggressive method to clean as possible

This applies even to spray on products like Meg's QID, etc.