PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Protection

luckydawg
10-14-2022, 10:08 AM
Fellas
Looking to tap in here to all of the exp. on this board, I know there's a lot here--
I am installing a long aluminum track exposed to outside elements including chlorine vapors possibly from our pool that is about 6-7 feet away at its closest point. Right now its all new and shiney and my goal is to keep it that way as long as possible-- I know it wont last forever or probably 8-10 yrs down the road but you get the idea here. What can I put on it to protect it from corroding? I dont need to polish it right now or anything like mothers alum. polish, I am satisfied as it is-- I just want to keep it / maintain it like new as long as I can. Would a coating work? , bond to it? I know it wont on the raised ribs where the doors roll on but how about the flat part base?
Does anyone have any first hand exp. with dealing with alum. protection?75714

Rsurfer
10-14-2022, 01:28 PM
Fellas
Looking to tap in here to all of the exp. on this board, I know there's a lot here--
I am installing a long aluminum track exposed to outside elements including chlorine vapors possibly from our pool that is about 6-7 feet away at its closest point. Right now its all new and shiney and my goal is to keep it that way as long as possible-- I know it wont last forever or probably 8-10 yrs down the road but you get the idea here. What can I put on it to protect it from corroding? I dont need to polish it right now or anything like mothers alum. polish, I am satisfied as it is-- I just want to keep it / maintain it like new as long as I can. Would a coating work? , bond to it? I know it wont on the raised ribs where the doors roll on but how about the flat part base?
Does anyone have any first hand exp. with dealing with alum. protection?75714

If Car Pro's Dlux will work on wheels, I don't see why it wouldn't work on your aluminum rails. Be sure to clean well with alcohol.

chilly
10-14-2022, 03:06 PM
Maybe consider having it clear powder coated

I am not sure about the proximity to the chlorine though, thats going to be tough one

luckydawg
10-14-2022, 03:25 PM
If Car Pro's Dlux will work on wheels, I don't see why it wouldn't work on your aluminum rails. Be sure to clean well with alcohol.

I called CarPro and asked them if their coatings would stick / bond to the aluminum and the said yes, so unless I hear something better from the fellas here, I am most likely gonna put either UK 3.0 or SiC on them

Rsurfer
10-14-2022, 03:32 PM
I called CarPro and asked them if their coatings would stick / bond to the aluminum and the said yes, so unless I hear something better from the fellas here, I am most likely gonna put either UK 3.0 or SiC on them
I'm sure 3.0 or SiC will work, but Dlux is a heavier coating and should last longer. Dlux is recommended for wheels.

luckydawg
10-14-2022, 04:50 PM
I have been using Dlux on my trim for a few years now-- its a pretty good product

Coatingsarecrack
10-15-2022, 03:45 AM
Clear Cerakote. Drop it off at a dealer and 3 days later your set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TTQ B4U
10-15-2022, 05:51 AM
GYEON Q2 RIM. Made for wheels, lasts a long time and is super easy to use. I've done all our kitchen appliances with it.

Eldorado2k
10-17-2022, 03:56 AM
GYEON Q2 RIM. Made for wheels, lasts a long time and is super easy to use. I've done all our kitchen appliances with it.

How does it do on plastic chrome?

Eldorado2k
10-17-2022, 06:59 AM
I think I’m going to try some Wolfgang Metal Sealant. I really wanted to try the Blackfire, but it only comes in 16oz. Everything points to both of them being the same product… We’ll see how long it lasts. It gets rave reviews except for 1 person who says it only lasts a couple of weeks. I’ll test it out on my chrome wheels and provide a detailed review.