PDA

View Full Version : Dad - Don't come on too strong!!!

Lance Mark
10-12-2022, 10:48 AM
I got a trike in the other night and fella is off to Jamaica.

When i did some work for a brother, as i was getting it done, we kept in touch, and sent him plenty of before and after pics as I completed steps. He enjoyed the pics and it was a great way to keep him up to date as to progress, as i took my time, and as well, I was able to explain some of my joo joo.

When I took this one in, he left it in the drive, I shot him a pic shortly after and thanked him for the work with an image of his trike safely nestled in my warm garage and another shot of the battery on a tender with a promise to keep on that.

My son didn't have to say anything, because I thought....he knows I have it, I shot a quick note to let him know it's safe, but as for any other updates, he'll have to ask. I'm taking plenty of pics, and will be happy to share if he wants to see the process. Let the guy enjoy his vacation.

My son mentioned, "Hey dad, he's not uncle Jim, he probably won't want the play by play updates." :)

Thanks buddy, I know you're looking out for dad. I love this, but I know that my passion is just a small passion for others, I won't come on too strong. He'll see it when he comes back, with no spoilers. :)

Thanks for reading. Other than to take lots of pics, and offer to share.....what do you pro's and side hustlers do? Do you send notifications or texts? Maybe share a link to a website or facebook page with progress/project photos?

2black1s
10-12-2022, 11:46 AM
Back when I was doing painting and restorations, 1970s - 2000s, I would always encourage my customers to stop by and check out the progress as often as they cared to. Some did, some didn't. I liked showing the progress, the attention-to-detail, and the how's and why's of what I was doing.

Obviously, this was before the advent of digital cameras everywhere and the internet was in its infancy, so sharing as one might today was not an option.

If I had all of today's options available to me back then, I probably would have used them to some extent.

One thing's for sure, I'd have a much better history and documentation of some of my past works and that is something I'd really like to have today... Unfortunately, that history is only documented between my ears and a handful of "print" photos stashed away in a box somewhere.

Lance Mark
10-12-2022, 01:16 PM
Back when I was doing painting and restorations, 1970s - 2000s, I would always encourage my customers to stop by and check out the progress as often as they cared to. Some did, some didn't. I liked showing the progress, the attention-to-detail, and the how's and why's of what I was doing.

Obviously, this was before the advent of digital cameras everywhere and the internet was in its infancy, so sharing as one might today was not an option.

If I had all of today's options available to me back then, I probably would have used them to some extent.

One thing's for sure, I'd have a much better history and documentation of some of my past works and that is something I'd really like to have today... Unfortunately, that history is only documented between my ears and a handful of "print" photos stashed away in a box somewhere.

that brings back memories, I painted in another life....I used to use a specific paint for trim....Benny Moore's Satin Impervo Oil Based....I had a formula and would add a very specific amount of thinner and conditioner....took time, and three coats, but the trim looked liked it was molded from plastic....of course, finish paint never went on unless it was properly sanded, prepped, primed, and sanded and tack clothed :)

i used to love to do quality work and loathed production work....i did apartment repaints for like a minute....not my jam at all

The D
10-12-2022, 08:12 PM
I’m not to a spot where I’m working(detailing or maintenance) on other peoples’ cars but I imagine I’ll entertain for a little bit and maybe snap an “in progress” pic and a final shot when everything is finished. Unless it’s family or really good friends, I don’t like being bothered while I’m working. There’s too much opportunity for something to be missed or mistakes to be made

I worked with someone many years ago who almost did more side work in his garage than dealership work. His rule was(as politely as possible); drop your car off and leave. He didn’t tolerate anyone hanging out. The car would be done as soon as possible and the owner would get a call shortly after