PDA

View Full Version : Wet sand it or bail???

DanaDetailingPros
10-11-2022, 08:13 PM
My wife's friend has a Tahoe I have been doing for the last couple years. A few months back she had me do it and warned me ahead of time that her husband really messed it up and there was a bad white haze on the hood and roof. As soon as I saw it I asked her what the hell did he do? She said he tried to was it for her when she was out of town and he blamed it on the car wash! I told her he must of mistaken the back to black as a black car polish and left it on there to go watch the game figuring he could wipe it off later. Being where we live it was most likely beading sun on it for hours.
I hit it with 3M Super Duty 05954 and a wool pad and it helped a bit. It may look like it did allot in the picture but after I did the whole hood with allot of passes it's beyond anything I have ever experienced! I have never wet sanded nor ever wanted to. But in this case she would be game for anything because shes ready to take it to a body shop. Only wet sanding discs I have are 800-3000 and are only 3' 75695

98CayenneTA
10-11-2022, 08:16 PM
Bail

Bosko
10-12-2022, 04:03 AM
Depends on if you want the challenge over $$

If I had the time and wasn't rushed, I'd like it as a challenge.
Definitely document what you did/materials used and of course....TIME takin!

post up some before and afters if you decide to do it....:xyxthumbs:

As an after thought...what would happen if you sprayed WD-40 on it(cool/shadows)...let it soak to soften it up an bit and then hit it again with 05954

luckydawg
10-12-2022, 05:07 AM
It would not be worth my time or effort

Bail-- but graciously

PouncingPanzer
10-12-2022, 06:49 AM
If you decide to tackle it I want to follow this closely. There are areas on my GLI another detailer told me he would have to wet sand to "perfect". I told him hard pass for now it's a daily and not worth it in my mind. Once it is parked for anything but perfect sunny days, I may venture into the unknown myself....maybe lol.

Lance Mark
10-12-2022, 10:16 AM
sometimes people do stupid stuff

if it can fixed, who do they have to turn to but a professional who has a handle on what a clear coat is and how to work with it?

I love a challenge, but I'm starting to get pretty good at this....not sure I need the practice if you know what I mean

regardless of relationship, if you are taking it on, don't take it on for chump change, charge enough so that you can try and fail, and try again....you may need time to dial in on this process

oneheadlite
10-12-2022, 11:06 AM
Do you have a paint thickness gauge?

Hard to tell from the picture, but given that you're in the land of the beating sun (and you mention it's hood and roof), I'd be worried about clearcoat failure. Either that that's what you're up against already, or that by way of removing those defects you've thinned the clear so much that failure is inevitable.

ct18
10-12-2022, 01:21 PM
I was also thinking it looked like clearcoat issues. Maybe wet sand a test spot, but get some 1500 to bridge the 800 to 3000 gap

Rsurfer
10-12-2022, 02:07 PM

Hard to tell from the picture, but given that you're in the land of the beating sun (and you mention it's hood and roof), I'd be worried about clearcoat failure. Either that that's what you're up against already, or that by way of removing those defects you've thinned the clear so much that failure is inevitable.

Run away as fast as you can!!:D

PaulMys
10-12-2022, 04:57 PM
Her husband sounds dumber than a bag of hammers.

Bail.......

dlc95
10-12-2022, 06:39 PM
Nope.

I'd walk away from that one, and I LOVE correcting extremely hammered paint.

DanaDetailingPros
10-12-2022, 09:46 PM
Bail

Depends on if you want the challenge over $$

If I had the time and wasn't rushed, I'd like it as a challenge.
Definitely document what you did/materials used and of course....TIME takin!

post up some before and afters if you decide to do it....:xyxthumbs:

As an after thought...what would happen if you sprayed WD-40 on it(cool/shadows)...let it soak to soften it up an bit and then hit it again with 05954

I've had 2 Tahoe's and when there fairly new/newer they are caked! I was thinking exactly what a few of you suggested. Challenge and learn. She wants to sell it for obvious reasons/Gas$
And it will take at least the cost of a new paint job off the top of what it's worth. So she really doesn't have allot of options. I will have her sign something if I am up front with her and she wants to proceed? I will tell her this is uncharted waters and I will do all the ground work in terms of whether or not it is even doable? I'm welcoming all suggestions and also BAIL or not?
Thanks as always!!!

DanaDetailingPros
10-12-2022, 09:50 PM
On a side note. I wish her husband would just come clean with me. I would never tell her! But I have a pretty good idea after I saw a bucket of OTC car products in a bucket it the back. As soon as I saw MG BACK TO BLACK I pretty much new he thought that was a good polish for black cars! And he is a High school football coach, and I'm sure he went in to watch the game and down beers while it sat in sun most likely till the next day. So when he couldn't get it off, is when he went to the local car wash to hatch his alibi Im the MAN

DanaDetailingPros
10-12-2022, 10:05 PM
Nope.

I'd walk away from that one, and I LOVE correcting extremely hammered paint.

Her husband sounds dumber than a bag of hammers.

Bail.......

He is certainly a TOOL!
If I did know for sure that's what he used, I might call Meguiar's and ask them?