PDA

View Full Version : Griots Complete Compound vs. Megs Ultimate Compound

Odrapnew
09-30-2022, 11:57 AM
I planned on picking up some compound for some slightly more aggressive correction than ultimate polish I have.
This is to correct some water spots and possibly some buildup on my 18 Ford Edge on the rear spoiler on the tailgate.
Car has sat outside 24/7 since about May with a month between washings. :cry:
I did put some Griots 3-in-1 on it when I did wash it.

I'll see if I can get some pictures, but it's hard to get good ones.
I can see it clear as mud with my eyes though, which bugs me.

I have GG6 with Lake country pads (microfiber, orange and white).
I tried the UP with micro fiber pad and it helped, but spots are still there.
I am a little concerned they are too deep for full correction, but want to clean it up as best as I can and possibly put a layer of PPF.

My local Autozone has both Griots CC and Megs UC so I wasn't sure which would be better.
The Griots was a few bucks cheaper I believe.
I'm not a professional and don't do a ton of correcting.

Anyone have experience with both or have a preference?

evo77
09-30-2022, 12:31 PM
How many passes did you do with UP?

You say that it "helped" which would indicate that its doing some cut but maybe you just need to do a few more passes.

I would go for the UC over the Griots CC. See what UC does with the MF pad and couple passes. Be sure you are blowing out your pad to keep the fibers from matting.

Odrapnew
09-30-2022, 01:18 PM
The spoiler is not very big, so I did 2 sections and each section 1 time.
I think I went over with 4 or 5 passes.
DA set at speed 4-5.
I didn't spend a lot of time on it because it seemed like I need more cut.

I originally started with my Griots All-In-1 Ceramic with a white pad hoping it just needed some light correction.
Didn't touch it, so I jumped to microfiber and UP with some results, but not much.

I'll see if I can get some good pictures.
The ones I took don't really show it.

dlc95
09-30-2022, 06:27 PM
The spoiler is not very big, so I did 2 sections and each section 1 time.
I think I went over with 4 or 5 passes.
DA set at speed 4-5.
I didn't spend a lot of time on it because it seemed like I need more cut.

I originally started with my Griots All-In-1 Ceramic with a white pad hoping it just needed some light correction.
Didn't touch it, so I jumped to microfiber and UP with some results, but not much.

I'll see if I can get some good pictures.
The ones I took don't really show it.

Ultimate Polish contains non diminishing abrasives and has great lubricants that keep it from drying out, so you could try Ultimate Polish again, but with a slower arm speed. Try it on an unpolished section so your not building on your previous results.

I've had great results in the past using Ultimate Polish on green Buff and Shine or Hex Logic pads (B&S makes the hex pads for CG), and microfiber for lighter defect removal. I used to like it on the original yellow Rupes pads.

If that didn't get the job done I'd switch to Ultimate Compound. That would usually do the trick.

On a side note, I remember my first go round with Ultimate Polish on those yellow Rupes microfiber pads. It was August of 2014. I hadn't used microfiber pads yet. I was working on my neighbor's 2004 blue Ford Mustang. When he got it, it had really bad fingernail gouges above the door handle. That combo of Ultimate Polish on the microfiber polishing pads took care of those gouges very quickly. I used to normally use Ultimate Polish as a follow to Ultimate Compound on blue Buff and Shine / hex logic polishing pads.

PaulMys
09-30-2022, 06:34 PM
Is UP still harder than Chinese algebra to remove?

That was my only beef with it, and the only reason I stopped using it years ago.

2black1s
09-30-2022, 07:29 PM
I've only used (and still do) Meg's UC for hand work and it does a great job for that application.

luckydawg
09-30-2022, 07:35 PM
Water spots can etch the paint, you might not get them out with any compound that you try, maybe scholls S0 ( liquid sandpaper )

dgage
09-30-2022, 09:38 PM
Water spots can etch the paint, you might not get them out with any compound that you try, maybe scholls S0 ( liquid sandpaper )

I just had a bunch of water spots to get out of black paint and windows on my mom’s Kia Soul she was selling. Griot’s Fast Correcting Cream and a Rupes Coarse Wool made quick work of them and even better, I did it as a one-step, no follow up with another pad/polish except for the hood where I wanted to make sure it shined the best. Used a Rupes yellow pad with CarPro Essence.

Coatingsarecrack
10-01-2022, 03:29 AM
If uP didn’t work I would up the anti and order Griots FAST Correcting Cream. Much more aggressive than CC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odrapnew
10-02-2022, 02:21 PM
Thanks for all the input.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to look into it any more recently.

Might just make more/slower passes with the polish and microfiber pad.

I hope I can get them out with 'normal' correcting methods and not have to go down the route of wet sanding.

The Guz
10-02-2022, 03:17 PM
Another thing is to use a water spot remover to break down the water spots. Then come back with a compound or polish.

dlc95
10-02-2022, 11:10 PM
Is UP still harder than Chinese algebra to remove?

That was my only beef with it, and the only reason I stopped using it years ago.

Only when I start with the three drops - sometimes.

This bottle is worse with it than the ones I've had in the past.

AZpolisher15
10-05-2022, 12:03 AM
I just had a similar issue OP. Same as you- i used ultimate polish and several spots remained after about 4-5 passes. I ended up going in by finger tip with UP on a microfiber towel on the trouble spots. I used it very sparingly/dry. It worked. It cleaned up the spots easily. Then I did a couple more passes on the whole thing with the DA to finish. Worked like a charm.

Rrthomas78
10-09-2022, 05:54 PM
I have them both and for what I was using them for they both fell short I switched to megs 105 (100) can't remember the number