PDA

View Full Version : What speed on the DA do you guys use with a clay pad?

Bosko
09-28-2022, 04:10 PM
Griots 6" clay pad recommends a speed of (1) on the DA when doing a decon..

Seems slow to me....thoughts?

PaulMys
09-28-2022, 04:31 PM
Speed 1 or 2.

You're not trying to correct, just pull out bonded contaminates. :)

The D
09-28-2022, 04:32 PM
I have very little experience with this compared to anyone else here but I have a question that may actually answer your question. How many rpm’s do you spin clay when it’s done manually?

Bosko
09-28-2022, 04:36 PM
I have very little experience with this compared to anyone else here but I have a question that may actually answer your question. How many rpm’s do you spin clay when it’s done manually?

Good point....I think it's more about keeping up the arm speed as if you were using a bar

The D
09-28-2022, 08:51 PM
Once more, I’m probably the last person here to actually listen to. I’d be more concerned about keeping it lubricated properly instead of what speed it’s at

Bosko
09-28-2022, 08:52 PM
Once more, I’m probably the last person here to actually listen to. I’d be more concerned about keeping it lubricated properly instead of what speed it’s at

thats what she said.......:D

Lance Mark
09-29-2022, 09:29 AM
I'm here to learn, guys

I really enjoy clay barring a vehicle with a wad of clay and some lube, it appears to be a really effective method....i use plenty of lube, check the clay and pick out particulates frequently, and I twist and mead the bar regularly to make sure I have a nice clean surface to do the job....again, call me weird. but I love the process...when I pull a wad of clay off the surface, and find 5 or 6 little specks that need to be picked out, that just twists my throttle :)

I am open to a new method, if I can get a better outcome, can someone help me with the advantages of using a machine for the clay barring part? I've got to think an obvious pickup would be speed :)

Bruno Soares
09-29-2022, 10:19 AM
I am open to a new method, if I can get a better outcome, can someone help me with the advantages of using a machine for the clay barring part? I've got to think an obvious pickup would be speed :)

Clay alternatives are faster, for sure, and you can also just rinse them clean and re-use if you drop on the floor. However, the real clay bar does a better job and picks up more contaminants. So if you're happy using clay, I'd say continue doing that. I made the switch but I can't say I love it other than the fact I don't have to keep kneading the clay and being super careful not to drop it. The rubber on these nanoskin pads tend to get sticky over time and that leads to extra marring. The disc, which is the one for DAs, also isn't cheap at all to just replace often.