PDA

View Full Version : GG9 on the way. Which pads?

Pages : [1] 2

BTLew81
09-21-2022, 06:15 PM
Griots was nice enough to replace my old gg6 with a 9. So, figured I should pick up some new pads. Both cars we own are VWs, so pretty hard paint.

looking for polishing and probably finishing pads. Currently have some hydro tech pads I love, but probably need to update in terms of technology.

TIA

PaulMys
09-21-2022, 06:18 PM
LC Flat Orange.

The clear coat on my Ram is medium/hard (probably not as hard as your VW) and the G9/LC Flat combo works great for me.

What polishes/compounds do you use?

BTLew81
09-21-2022, 06:21 PM
Thanks. Been using optimum products lately. I have some of the lc flat. Was wondering if there was anything else new and exciting? ��

PaulMys
09-21-2022, 06:26 PM
Thanks. Been using optimum products lately. I have some of the lc flat. Was wondering if there was anything else new and exciting? ��

Bunch of options.

I just stick with what works for me. Besides, experimenting with new pads gets super expensive real quick. Lol

dlc95
09-21-2022, 07:24 PM
Aw man, LC discontinued the Hydros..

I still have a bunch of them, but for "normal" correction/polishing I've been really enjoying the LC HDO CCS. However, the pads Paul recommended would be perfect. Just consider some microfiber pads in the event your paint is too hard to be worked on with the orange foam.

When I'm using Optimum spray polishes I like to use their waffle pads though. Mostly the orange and black, buy occasionally I need their purple foamed wool pad.

noorth
09-22-2022, 08:05 PM
Since your machine is short throw maybe look into the LC SDO CCS. Very good prices.

BTLew81
09-22-2022, 09:03 PM
Thanks. The sdo did intrigue me.

noorth
09-22-2022, 10:05 PM
Thanks. The sdo did intrigue me.

The orange SDO is very nice. Compared to a rupes yellow it's less stiff. On vertical panels new rupes pads will skip big time, its a PITA to control. I found machine washing the rupes foams pad to be a good idea. Much like the blue SDO.

Coatingsarecrack
09-23-2022, 02:11 AM
Griots own BOSS pads. 6 orange and 6 yellow and your set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rick100
09-23-2022, 10:20 AM
for correcting on hard clear coat , uro pads with 3D all in one has worked for me.

LC red pads are ok same as car pro , I dont think they do much correction unless you combine them with a good compound , at least on hard clear coat.

I wouldnt use uro pads on soft clearcoat , may be a bit harsh and you would probably need another pass with a less aggressive pads

If you are not looking at doing much correction but just making your car shine then gloss pad from car pro is great. Probably my go to pad at the moment . I try not to do correction as much now. I do a quick polish one a year with a gloss pad and just do correction on the deeper scratches if I have to is my way to do it now, while preserving as much of the clearcoat as possible

noorth
09-23-2022, 10:08 PM
Griots own BOSS pads. 6 orange and 6 yellow and your set.

Really? They are OK but i wouldn't buy them again.

Try the orange HDO/CCS, it's really nice.

Coatingsarecrack
09-24-2022, 12:10 AM

Nah I’m good. I’ve used the Orange Boss on swirled up beat up paint and it’s got it glass smooth with their Correcting cream. Followed by their yellows with CP essence and glass smooth.

On my moms never been polished or protected 5 yr old paint that lives outside, polished perfectly with their orange with no need to follow up with a second polish. Straight to coating.

My g15 with boss pads has not let me down ever. Pads aren’t something I feel I need to try new ones when these out do my expectations everytime.

And I have tried the regular CCS (which are better for short throw, HDO for long throw) LC flats and the BOSS pads on both a gg6 and my g15.

For me the BOSS pads severely out performed them. We did 4 passes with each pad and the boss finished down better and removed more defects.

I gave my friend my CCS that I had with me…. Most new in package.

I still have a couple but there just sitting somewhere.

Now this is just my experience on cars I polished. We probably used different polishes, technique and machines on different paint so our experience will very.

To my though although not bad was not impressed with the Lake country pads.

Op if you do go with LC CCS I would email them to see what works best with G9.

noorth
09-24-2022, 06:33 AM
I would pick up an orange SDO pad over the boss orange anyday. Lake Country as new HDO pads with the CCS tech. It's for LONG THROW polishers.

It's all personal preference. In my opinion buff and shine uro-tec, rupes foam and lake country sdo/hdo are all better than the BOSS pads. The orange HDO/CCS is extra nice..lol

dlc95
09-24-2022, 03:08 PM

What didn't you like about them?

dlc95
09-24-2022, 03:12 PM
Nah I’m good. I’ve used the Orange Boss on swirled up beat up paint and it’s got it glass smooth with their Correcting cream. Followed by their yellows with CP essence and glass smooth.

On my moms never been polished or protected 5 yr old paint that lives outside, polished perfectly with their orange with no need to follow up with a second polish. Straight to coating.

My g15 with boss pads has not let me down ever. Pads aren’t something I feel I need to try new ones when these out do my expectations everytime.

And I have tried the regular CCS (which are better for short throw, HDO for long throw) LC flats and the BOSS pads on both a gg6 and my g15.

For me the BOSS pads severely out performed them. We did 4 passes with each pad and the boss finished down better and removed more defects.

I gave my friend my CCS that I had with me…. Most new in package.

I still have a couple but there just sitting somewhere.

Now this is just my experience on cars I polished. We probably used different polishes, technique and machines on different paint so our experience will very.

To my though although not bad was not impressed with the Lake country pads.

Op if you do go with LC CCS I would email them to see what works best with G9.

We all have to use what we like.

I tried one of their pads. I was doing a service with orange buff and shine pads and 3D Speed. It was way too cold for the Speed to spread out. Being that I was a LONG way from home I ran to the auto parts store for some Meguiar's M06. I decided to buy a 6" orange Griots pad to try out.

It did a nice job working the M06 Cleaner Wax, and leaving a good finish.

I had no complaints with it at all.