PDA

View Full Version : Any hope for saving this water damaged leather wrapped dash?

91RS
09-14-2022, 07:42 AM
I have this leather wrapped dash pad for a 2013-2014 Cadillac Escalade Platinum that came from a salvage yard and got some water damage on the left side since the door was damaged. It looks like it got wet and then baked by the sun. I'm wondering if there is any hope in repairing it? The leather is hard, has shrunk, and the grain texture is also changed a little. GM has discontinued yet another high wear item so I can't buy a new one, used is my only option and these are not easy to find. I'm guessing it's trash but I figured I'd see if there was some miracle product out there before I throw my money away.

Bobby B.
09-14-2022, 01:01 PM
Have you tried using any leather cleaners or conditioners?

Rsurfer
09-14-2022, 03:18 PM
Try cleaning it and use a matching leather dye.

91RS
09-14-2022, 07:36 PM
I used P&S Xpress Interior to clean it and Waxed Shine Leather Nourish but I think it needs more than that if it can be saved. I gave a bottle of Adam’s Leather Conditioner to my father-in-law I was thinking about borrowing back since it is much thicker and I can wipe a ton of it in there and just leave it.

dgage
09-14-2022, 09:45 PM
If you want something to nourish it, you should get Leatherique Rejuvenating Oil though it is expensive. And if memory serves, the directions say to use their Pristine Clean after letting the leather treatment progress (heat treating in a plastic bag in a hot car is recommended). Not sure if it will restore your leather dash but Leatherique is a well-reviewed product.

91RS
09-18-2022, 06:32 PM
I had a bottle of the Rejuvenating Oil but it was so old it was clearly bad. I still have some of the Pristine Clean that is good but it doesn’t self level like the Leather Nourish does so I haven’t used it in a whole. The Leather Nourish also smells amazing. I got the bottle of Adam’s Leather Conditioner back from my father in law today and covered that area in a super thick layer and I’ll let it sit overnight. Tomorrow, I’ll coat the whole thing and sit it in the sun for a while.

John U
09-18-2022, 07:13 PM
Some of your challenge will be creating some sort of grommet for the open rectangle.