PDA

View Full Version : Checking In and Starting Over Almost from Scratch

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

chilly
09-06-2022, 11:38 AM
Good Morning

I have been gone for a while and I wanted to check in and say hello

The wife and I have sold our house in Hawaii and moved back to south-central Alaska permanently

We sold off most of our stuff in Hawaii because shipping costs have gotten horrendous, and this included my Hawaii detailing arsenal

This means I am having to rebuild almost from scratch

I still have a good selection of microfiber and interior products here in storage but I gave my old PC, pads, and paint products to my grandson last spring before we made the decisions we did

We are building a house that won’t be finished until late next spring but it will have a 3 car garage with a dedicated detailing bay with extra lighting

I am looking forward to having my own clean dry space to work on my vehicles

I am slowly catching up on what’s new in the detailing world and starting a wish list of equipment, supplies, etc

I want to try to avoid a lot of the duplication and downright bad decisions I have made in my product and tool selection in the past and I would like to stay as simple as possible

I am going to try to stick with a single, easily obtainable brand of products, knowing full well there will always be the odd product that is just too good to ignore, regardless of brand

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello

Regards

CleanIT
09-06-2022, 12:16 PM
Congrats on the house and glad you're back. I've been pretty good lately and haven't purchased anything new. I'm still using mostly Gyeon/Carpro products with a few Optimum. Of interest lately is the new Cerakote Ceramic Paint Sealant. Doesn't look spectacular, but not bad either.

I too don't like having many products at one time. I am a minimalist. Can Coat is my current LSP and I've been maintaining it Ech20 diluted 1:20 and Reset.

I feel all you really need is one good LSP/stand alone, a good rinseless wash (interior/detail spray/drying aid) and good soap for exterior (including wheels).

dlc95
09-06-2022, 12:17 PM
Good to see ya, Chilly!

Keep us posted on what you end up going with.

dlc95
09-06-2022, 12:18 PM
Congrats on the house and glad you're back. I've been pretty good lately and haven't purchased anything new. I'm still using mostly Gyeon/Carpro products with a few Optimum. Of interest lately is the new Cerakote Ceramic Paint Sealant. Doesn't look spectacular, but not bad either.

I too don't like having many products at one time. I am a minimalist. Can Coat is my current LSP and I've been maintaining it Ech20 diluted 1:20 and Reset.

I feel all you really need is one good LSP/stand alone, a good rinseless wash (interior/detail spray/drying aid) and good soap for exterior (including wheels).

You're lucky to have a minimalist approach to products!

I want hog wild back in 2013 whan I started doing this for money again.

Today I'm constantly selling off what I find I won't use again.... Never seems to end!

MisterSnoop
09-06-2022, 12:41 PM
Welcome back.

dgage
09-06-2022, 01:23 PM
Missed hearing from you Chilly and getting mad at you for tropical photo backdrops. :) Glad you’re back! Sounds like you’ll have a good setup soon enough. Congrats!

Rsurfer
09-06-2022, 01:54 PM
Glad to see you back Mikey. Your new home is being built during winter?

Bosko
09-06-2022, 01:57 PM
Let me know when the garage is done I'll be there to move my stuff in......roomie.....:xyxthumbs::D

chilly
09-06-2022, 02:10 PM
Let me know when the garage is done I'll be there to move my stuff in......roomie.....:xyxthumbs::D

As long as you bring the amazing food...

:hungry:

chilly
09-06-2022, 02:15 PM
Glad to see you back Mikey. Your new home is being built during winter?

Thanks Ron

Yeah, they did the excavating and poured the foundation footings and got the foundation walls up this last week without us even knowing they had started

We drove by yesterday and boy were we surprised

They will let it sit for a while after all the concrete is poured and then start framing

They work all year here, usually getting it framed and sided and roofed and then they use those huge oil fired heater/blowers to work on the inside

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220906/6a9f1e40ea7dd466e06b2b98aa2acc5c.jpg

The right hand bay is a bit deeper and will be my detailing area

John U
09-06-2022, 02:38 PM
Floor drain?

I was doing the tourist thing recently up there. We had a week of 70's!

We heard a lot about permafrost!

luckydawg
09-06-2022, 02:43 PM
I heard on the radio today Alaska is the worst place to retire financially ( Taxes etc... )

But with your $$-- probably not an issue. My neighbor has a summer home up there somewhere-- says there are places up there where it hardly ever freezes-- must be by the water / coast

dgage
09-06-2022, 03:13 PM
Alaska is diverse. Equivalent to a rain forest in the southeast. Up north with the tundra it is equivalent to a desert. I lived in Nome, AK for 3 years, which is on the western coast about halfway up, and it would get down to -20F in the winter with lots of wind. Summer was 60s/70s sometimes. At least in the late 80s, the ocean ice would freeze. I also lived in Fairbanks, AK for three years which is about 2/3 of the way up near the center of the state. It wouldn’t get as windy but it would often get below -50F during the winter. The winter before I left it got down to -80F with the wind chill during a blizzard. Summer temps in Fairbanks would also get into the 80s.

Rsurfer
09-06-2022, 03:30 PM
Thanks Ron

Yeah, they did the excavating and poured the foundation footings and got the foundation walls up this last week without us even knowing they had started

We drove by yesterday and boy were we surprised

They will let it sit for a while after all the concrete is poured and then start framing

They work all year here, usually getting it framed and sided and roofed and then they use those huge oil fired heater/blowers to work on the inside

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220906/6a9f1e40ea7dd466e06b2b98aa2acc5c.jpg

The right hand bay is a bit deeper and will be my detailing area

Looks like there may be some bears in those woods.:D

John U
09-06-2022, 03:31 PM
The Build Show has great info: 3 Tips for a Better Basement BUILD (Insulation, Waterproofing, & Framing) - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brvjcUtiwtM)

Are the builders putting a "barrier" and foam under your concrete floors