PDA

View Full Version : 1971 Corvette

Goonie75
08-19-2022, 09:42 AM
Hi guys. So I'm working on this white Corvette and the hood itself is by far worse than the entire car. Owner bought it off a guy that 'restored' it. Thinks the paint job is 15 years old.

Hood has tiny hair scratches that I can't seem to budge. Hit it 3x with M110 and Cutmax.... looks like I did nothing. Is it possible the paint was polished, scratches put in and then coated in clear? Or do I just need to keep at it.

On deck I can see the pattern of the actual fiberglass so that makes me think there's not a lot of paint on there anyway.

Thanks in advance

Ryan

75491754927549375494754957549675491754927549375494 7549575496

luckydawg
08-19-2022, 11:57 AM
could it be the substrate material ( fiberglass or fiberglass composite ) showing through?
I think back in '71 they were still fiberglass- cant remember what year they changed to a composite material

Goonie75
08-19-2022, 12:21 PM
could it be the substrate material ( fiberglass or fiberglass composite ) showing through?
I think back in '71 they were still fiberglass- cant remember what year they changed to a composite material

Thank you for getting back with me. It very well could be and I know it's fiberglass I could see the pattern a pattern on the deck lid.. I'm going to try and attach a couple more pictures to see if you can see it better. It may very well be the substrate. However the rest of the car cleans up nicely it's just this hood . It's really odd and it's driving me crazy. Lol. I hate to keep going after it so aggressively addressively and I would like to be able to tell the owner that it's the substrate it may need repaining and that's beyond my care

luckydawg
08-19-2022, 01:45 PM
Well I am old with bad vision & hearing so the photos are really no better for me ( hope someone else can see them better though )

I would think the hood being a large horizontal area that absorbs 100% of the sunlight available along with the heat radiating up to the bottom of the hood from the engine compartment, that might very well be the cause. If the current owner doesnt know the history of the hood / car-- who knows what was done and the quality or lack thereof of the work done.

You hit that area 3times with I am guessing a somewhat aggressive pad & liquid abrasive combo and by your own admission it made no difference.
You did the best you can-- let him know its going to take more than even a good detailer can do- suggest to him to take it to a reputable paint & body fella-- preferably one that KNOWS those corvettes, thats what I would do & dont feel bad about it, its a learning experience that you just got some good experience. And make sure you find out from him what the fix was if he gets it corrected, for your benefit.

Goonie75
08-19-2022, 02:11 PM
Well I am old with bad vision & hearing so the photos are really no better for me ( hope someone else can see them better though )

I would think the hood being a large horizontal area that absorbs 100% of the sunlight available along with the heat radiating up to the bottom of the hood from the engine compartment, that might very well be the cause. If the current owner doesnt know the history of the hood / car-- who knows what was done and the quality or lack thereof of the work done.

You hit that area 3times with I am guessing a somewhat aggressive pad & liquid abrasive combo and by your own admission it made no difference.
You did the best you can-- let him know its going to take more than even a good detailer can do- suggest to him to take it to a reputable paint & body fella-- preferably one that KNOWS those corvettes, thats what I would do & dont feel bad about it, its a learning experience that you just got some good experience. And make sure you find out from him what the fix was if he gets it corrected, for your benefit.

Thanks again. I agree it's something more than swirled paint. Rest cleaned up but wow. I will follow up for sure.

Yes. Used LC microfiber and GG microfiber pads. With cut max and M110 and HC400 from menzerna. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Lol.

Used orange pad with 110 on other paint and worked pretty good. He knows we aren't going for perfection.

Thanks again

Ryan

2black1s
08-19-2022, 02:34 PM
Could be microscopic cracks in the paint... Inspect it with some high magnification (10x or more).

luckydawg
08-19-2022, 03:13 PM
You did the best you can-- let him know its going to take more than even a good detailer can do-
Just an FYI
There was no slight on your skill level intended here- I just took for granted your a high level enthusiast like most of us on here.
What I meant was one of those full time pros that make big $ for a living

Again , no slight intended

Goonie75
08-19-2022, 03:16 PM
Sounds like a good idea. That's almost what it seems to me like they are.

Goonie75
08-19-2022, 03:17 PM
No worries friend. No slight taken at all. I just appreciate the help. I was just dumbfounded. Lol.