PDA

View Full Version : Alumin rad polishing

Richs66
07-28-2022, 05:03 PM
Ok, someone straighten my dumb ass out.............got a NEW radiator, seems im getting slight scratches in it just using microfiber cloths if i go any direction other than back & forth..............doing this by hand seems to make it worse................so today i used 5000 grit sandpaper on it, dulled it up some, then used 3000 grit, didnt notice anything different, then used 2500 grit..............then i tried to use my cheapy metal polishing junk...............looks worse then when i started. lol...............looking for some direction here from you guys that have done this before...............have a few pics , but stuff doesnt seem to show up in the pics................anyway i can use my porter cable to help this out.

Rich

Richs66
07-28-2022, 06:20 PM
Was wondering can i use a 3 inch orange buffing pad on this with a porter cabel..............not sure how that would turn out

Coatingsarecrack
07-29-2022, 03:36 AM
No suggestions but sub’s as I have an aluminum radiator I want to clean up.

What’s the Radiator in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richs66
07-29-2022, 07:26 AM
Its a cold case, in a 66 Gto...........doesnt look bad, im just trying to make it look a little better

Bobby B.
07-29-2022, 09:27 AM
Your microfiber towel might be too aggressive if it's leaving scratches in your aluminum Radiator.

When sanding aluminum always finish with the higher grit.

I personally like to use the Blackfire Metal Polish, but if you are trying to remove sanding marks in the aluminum you may need to step up to a variety of metal compound bars, airway buffing wheels and a rotary polisher.