PDA

View Full Version : Disc brake needs a cleanup

glen e
07-27-2022, 10:25 AM
so the disc brake on my scooter has about 6000 miles on it, and the picture above is the brake after it’s been completely degreased and brush cleaned with Sonax wheel cleaner, which has left it looking very chalky and washed out. I do not want to paint it, is there anything that I can use that would just give it a more darkened new appearance? Tire shine? Can coat? Back to black? Any suggestions?

Bobby B.
07-27-2022, 11:14 AM
Maybe try an Undercarriage Spray?

Chemical Guys Bare Bones Undercarriage Spray 16 oz. (https://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guys-undercarriage-spray.html)

Griot's Garage Undercarriage Spray, Griots Garage Undercarriage Detailer, Underbody spray (https://www.autogeek.net/griots-undercarriage-spray.html)

glen e
07-27-2022, 11:34 AM
Chem guys ordered-thx

evo77
07-27-2022, 11:41 AM
so the disc brake on my scooter has about 6000 miles on it, and the picture above is the brake after it’s been completely degreased and brush cleaned with Sonax wheel cleaner, which has left it looking very chalky and washed out. I do not want to paint it, is there anything that I can use that would just give it a more darkened new appearance? Tire shine? Can coat? Back to black? Any suggestions?

Usually cast iron calipers will clean up the best with an acid cleaner (https://www.autogeek.net/meguiar-s-wheel-brightener.html). It will brighten it up though (not darken) to a near factory finish. You can't darken cast iron aside from spraying with a oil like substance (but why would you want to do that?).

Just be very careful of other surrounding parts from the acid runoff that may etch stainless steel or bare aluminum. So you'll need to carefully cover them when applying.

Locally you could find something like THIS (http://Eagle One Etching MAG Wheel Cleaner).

glen e
07-27-2022, 11:44 AM
This is an painted aluminum caliper… I think I’ll be fine with the under spray mentioned above… Worse comes to worse, I’ll tape it off and shoot it with a coat of satin Rust oleum black. I just didn’t wanna go through the hassle of taping…

evo77
07-27-2022, 11:53 AM
This is an painted aluminum caliper… I think I’ll be fine with the under spray mentioned above… Worse comes to worse, I’ll tape it off and shoot it with a coat of satin Rust oleum black. I just didn’t wanna go through the hassle of taping…

Oh my bad. That caliper is painted? Really? Looked like a typical factory rough cast finish.

Factory painted or by you?

PaulMys
07-27-2022, 05:11 PM
I just didn’t wanna go through the hassle of taping…

You could pull the caliper, Glen.

Taping would be minimum then........

glen e
07-27-2022, 05:23 PM
I really don’t wanna pull the caliper either, I’m totally capable of doing as I have before, but That would also involve bleeding the system…I was hoping for something I could to spray on that would make it a little bit darker, I’ll try the undercarriage spray tomorrow. I’ll post a pic if it works….

It’s powder coated alum…from factory.

Desertnate
07-28-2022, 07:59 AM
If you don't want to pull the caliper, take a look at G2 brake caliper paint. You apply it with a brush. I've heard great things from people who have used it on everything from street cars to track toys.

evo77
07-28-2022, 10:03 AM
If you don't want to pull the caliper, take a look at G2 brake caliper paint. You apply it with a brush. I've heard great things from people who have used it on everything from street cars to track toys.

I totally recommend G2 for caliper paint. I used it to paint the calipers on our Durango. Easy to work with, self leveling and very glossy. 15 months so far and 1 Chicago winter and they still look freshly painted.

glen e
07-28-2022, 02:27 PM
I have a G2 kit here From when I did my vette,and I may use it, I just didn’t wanna do all the hassle with paint, because it’s a very minor, minor problem. However I did get the under coating product from chemical guys today and tried it on a piece of steel that I have in my workshop, extremely disappointing, I don’t know why I took a chance on chemical guy stuff, I really don’t like them they’ve never performed for me. I’m going to return it. One way or another it looks like I might have to break out the paint to get this done.

[update: I went down and took a look at the brake again, and frankly, it looks fine After getting it out of the dark garage and into the sun. After two IPA washes with a fine brush the other night and a shot of BF si02 spray, it has dried to a perfectly fine black powder coat finish that looks devoid of any problems.

Sorry for wasting everybody’s time , but we did learn a few things here I think:, G2 is a great paint – (but buy a new brush) – the chemical guys stuff sucks, And never underestimate the power of brush/IPA and si02 spray… Lol]

PaulMys
07-28-2022, 04:14 PM
I have a G2 kit here From when I did my vette,and I may use it, I just didn’t wanna do all the hassle with paint, because it’s a very minor, minor problem. However I did get the under coating product from chemical guys today and tried it on a piece of steel that I have in my workshop, extremely disappointing, I don’t know why I took a chance on chemical guy stuff, I really don’t like them they’ve never performed for me. I’m going to return it. One way or another it looks like I might have to break out the paint to get this done.

[update: I went down and took a look at the brake again, and frankly, it looks fine After getting it out of the dark garage and into the sun. After two IPA washes with a fine brush the other night and a shot of BF si02 spray, it has dried to a perfectly fine black powder coat finish that looks devoid of any problems.

Sorry for wasting everybody’s time , but we did learn a few things here I think:, G2 is a great paint – (but buy a new brush) – the chemical guys stuff sucks, And never underestimate the power of brush/IPA and si02 spray… Lol]

I don't think anyone's time was wasted in this thread, Glen.

It was a great question, and guys got to give their ideas. And like you said, we learned from it. (Well, we already knew CG sucks)..............:laughing::laughing::laughing:

glen e
07-30-2022, 10:04 AM
brake cleaned up