PDA

View Full Version : I made some mistakes, hopefully someone can learn from them.

Don M
07-26-2022, 11:22 AM
I FINALLY made a few mistakes with the Flex Wax. I'm going to post about it so maybe others will learn from my screw ups and have a better experience. My recent experience HAS NOT soured me on Flex Wax, it's made me realize that you can't rush and try to do things super fast.

Mistake #1. The wife needed her car by a certain time, and I thought I could top the 2 coats of Max Wax with Flex in that time frame.

Mistake #2. The car was in direct sunlight. While I have used Flex Wax in direct sun and heat, WITHOUT issue, this time, because of all my mistakes added together, it became an issue.

Mistake #3. I used a foam applicator AND sprayed directly on the panel (1 to 1.5 sprays). These 2 things made me apply the Flex Wax too heavy. Which is odd, because the To The Max Wax works GREAT with a foam applicator, it goes on REAL smooth and thin, better than with a microfiber applicator, the Flex appears to work better with a microfiber, thinner and more even. Now I know which type of applicator to use with what product.

Mistake #4. I applied it to the whole car, instead of doing sections at a time. This, combined with the sun and heat, REALLY bonded the FW to the paint and made removal much more difficult than it should have been, it usually removes very easily-wipe, buff and done,

As a result, the wife needed the car before I was done and there is still Flex Wax on the roof, front end and right front fender. So now, in order to correct things, I'm going to have to rewash & dry the car when it gets back (which should remove some of the residue), then reapply the Flex Wax, panel by panel, removing it as I go, the way I SHOULD HAVE done in the first place. I guess it just goes to show: DON'T GET IN A RUSH and don't change the way you do things, because you're in a rush, it will bite you in the butt.

dlc95
07-27-2022, 05:53 PM
Ouch!

Been there rushing.

I had a client coming to pick up his black Camaro, and instead of grabbing the M34 Final Inspection, I grabbed the M40 Vinly & Rubber Cleaner and Conditioner....

Very frustrating!

Don M
07-28-2022, 06:06 AM
UPDATE:

Since this is a "wet towel removal" product, I figured a contact wash on the car would help. Well it DID and a lot of the residue was removed, but there were still some very heavy spots remaining after drying. As luck would have it, it started raining, HARD as I was drying the last panel. Fast forward an hour or so and it had stopped raining and the sun was trying to peek out. I went out to re-dry the car so I could use some fresh Flex Wax to dissolve and remove the remaining residue. Turns out it wasn't needed, drying the rain off the car removed the remaining residue and the car looks great. Will this adversely affect the performance of the Flex Wax? Probably. So on my next days off, I will apply a coat of the Flex Wax (properly this time) to seal in the Max Wax.