PDA

View Full Version : 1982 Red c3 detail

BFI
07-25-2022, 11:07 AM
What are the best products for detailing older corvettes? Used Zanio in the past, wondering what to use now with all the new products out there. 1982 Corvettes did have clear coat paint.

Bobby B.
07-25-2022, 12:25 PM
Autogeek offers a huge selection of quality detailing products for older and newer vehicles. What are you looking to do to the Corvette?

https://www.autogeek.net/

Paint correction - Meguiar's, Griot's Garage, Menzerna, Jescar, 3D, Rupes, Dr. Beasleys, P&S, Sonax, Pinnacle, Wolfgang, and Blackfire offer great compounds, polishes, and one-step products.

Carnauba Wax - Dodo Juice, P21S, Collinite, Poorboy's World, Sonax, DP, Blackfire, Wolfgang, Pinnacle offer excellent waxes.

Paint Sealants - Meguiar's, Finish Kare, Poorboy's World, Dr. Beasley's, P&S, Jescar, Wolfgang, Blackfire, Pinnacle Black Label offer excellent paint sealants.

Ceramic Coatings - CarPro, GTechniq, Gyeon, 3D, P&S, Hybrid Solutions, Optimum, Sonax, DP, Pinnacle Black Label, Wolfgang, Blackfire offer excellent ceramic coatings.

dgage
07-25-2022, 04:07 PM
The brands Bobby B. posted above make it so you can’t go wrong with any of them. And since you say clear coat, I don’t think there is anything special you’d use that we wouldn’t use on newer cars. Though you might need some restoration products for an older car, namely trim and vinyl, rubber, and plastics.

If the car needs polishing, I’d recommend Griot’s Fast Correcting Cream and Perfecting Cream. Pickup some Griot’s Boss Coarse, Medium, and Fine Pads to go along with it. Then again, those would be used with a polisher such as the Griot’s G9. I’d go with 5” backing plate and pads. You might also need 3” pads/backing plate if there are tight areas on the Vette.

I’d recommend using Gyeon CanCoat for protection as it is an easy and quick coating lite to apply and will provide up to 18 months of protection (more if kept in a garage). If you want something simpler to apply, you could go with a 4-6 month sealant such as Griot’s 3-in-1 Ceramic Spray.

Interior wise, P&S Express is a good interior cleaner. For more regular cleaning, an interior detailer does light cleaning and some protection, and Megs Interior Detailer is a popular one. For protection of most interior surfaces, I like Pinnacle Vinyl and Leather Coating. But for older vinyl, leather, etc, you may need to moisturize it with something like Poorboy’s Trim Restorer, which could also be used on your external trim.

For trim, Solution Finish is the best at restoration but you’d need some protection and my favorite is Pinnacle Ceramic Trim Restorer after Solution Finish.

BFI
07-26-2022, 01:31 PM
Thank you for the feedback. I will look into your recommendations.