PDA

View Full Version : Touchup paint dulls after wet sand / compound

dtbingle
07-24-2022, 09:24 PM
Did some chip touch ups on my 2017 Mazda Miata. Color is Jet Black (black with metallic flakes).

My problem is that the paint from the OEM Mazda touchup pen looks glossy and matches well when it's applied, but if I wet sand then compound, it gets matte/dull and can never get it glossy again.
If I just continue to compound or polish to try and restore the shine, it just slowly removes paint from the filled in chip.

What am I doing wrong?

Here's my process:

Prepped the chips by wet sanding with 3000 grit using a tiny foam block inside and just outside of the chipped area.
Cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol + qtip.
Put some paint from the OEM Mazda touchup paint pen into a small cup and then used the plastic toothpick touchup sticks to dab paint into the chip.
Waited 48 hours to dry. Paint color match pretty well and looked glossy, but was a tad proud of the surface.
Lightly wet sanded with 3000 grit until chip was pretty flush and had an even haze around it.
Proceeded with a MF cutting pad + M110 compound until shine was restored to the surrounding area.
Problem here......the touchup spots stay dull....if I continue compounding, paint starts to get removed from the chip